Forums

wall charger installation cost

wall charger installation cost

I was quoted $2100 for my wall charger install, and I already have the charger in my possession. It seems pretty straight forward considering the circuit breaker is right on the other side of the wall of my garage where I want to place it. Anyway, just wondering what others have paid to have theirs installed- $2100 seems excessive to say the least.

shawncordell | 1 November, 2018

$2100?? Geeze... I was quoted around $350 here in Texas. Decided to just install it myself. Glad I did...

coyaflo5 | 1 November, 2018

$350 ?? was that a tesla cert elec or just a regular electrician. I'd hop on $350

lumberjack | 1 November, 2018

That’s pretty high if all they are doing is running wires across the garage. For a 60amp circuit, materials for a 30 feet run would run about $150 to $200 at the local hardware or electrical supplies store. There may be a small permit fee based on your local jurisdiction. Probably a couple of hours of labor.

Is there more to your work, like running a new beefed up circuit from main panel elsewhere to the garage or something?

shawncordell | 1 November, 2018

Just a regular electrician...

hector | 2 November, 2018

I paid $1300 for a 40 foot run, under a deck, up a wall to a second story garage. Installed an NEMA 14-50 outlet on the inside of the garage with an access door to be able to charge the car if it's parked in front of the garage.

ALDONY | 2 November, 2018

Guys, that's highway robbery.. Where do you live?

I just had it installed, along with the 80 feet of. New line underground, New panel. And 25 new breakers, etc. Can post pictures. I paid 2750

Installation should be a couple of hundred. Top. 300

kevin_rf | 2 November, 2018

I paid $1600, which included a second meter, new disconnect, permit, handling the light company, and a 50' run off 16awg. And I thought that was high... What is he quoting? Wiring a new breaker box?

JAMESLHARWOOD | 2 November, 2018

I installed my own in 80ft of conduit. The 90ft of wire, breaker and other parts did cost me probley 400ish and took me around 6 hours threw the crawl space under my house (one side to another).

If i only needed 5ft of conduit and wire I probley could have spent 50.00 in parts and done it in 30min.

LoveMyM3 | 2 November, 2018

I contracted with Tesla directly. The install was $1000 which was billed to me like a month later. They even got a permit and came back to be with the township inspector and made sure we got a permit. I had already purchased the wall unit separately from Tesla website. My panel was in the garage itself about 30-35 feet away. Happy with the decision and the job. They warranty it for 4 years too.

JAMESLHARWOOD | 2 November, 2018

Permit can cost up to 100.00 usually half that. The Home owner or a licensed contractor can pull the permit and have it inspected. It's cheaper if it's the homeowner in LA county.

LoveMyM3 | 2 November, 2018

@JAMESLHARWOOD
Agree with you brother. Wish I could have found an electrician to put in 6 hrs of work and approx $200 of material at less than a $100. I obtained quotes from 3 electricians (not Tesla certified) and they wanted from $700 to $1500, so going with Tesla for $ 1000 was the best option for me. It did take them about 5 hours and a second inspection trip to install.

holgerv | 2 November, 2018

500 to hook up wall connector to panel. I’m lucky as he only had to punch through wall from panel. This was in Orange County, Ca.

peldor427 | 2 November, 2018

I had mine installed by the Tesla recommended electrician in Boise Idaho for around $1200. I recommend having a 100 amp line installed just in case you ever change to a Tesla that can handle more juice or have a 2 Tesla garage. :) It only added about $100 to the price and saves you from having to totally redo the work later if you do want to upgrade the line. At least have it quoted for the higher amperage line.

I had space in my breaker box so this was just to add the 100 amp breaker, run the conduit and wire up the wall, into the garage attic, across and then down a wall between the two garage bays. Probably a little high but I was really happy with the service, it looks nice, he came within a day or two of me receiving the connector, and he was very experienced installing these, so I think it was worth the one time expense. This did not include the $500 for the connector itself. But for that price I'd expect someone who was experienced with these installations - check reviews and the Tesla recommended installers. See my photos if you like:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6eEcNAyVLTrdC1CJ7

One other thing... there is a setting in the Wall Connector for the allowed amperage. Even though the model 3 has a max setting for a 60 amp CB (which only pulls 48 amps), if you have the installer use wire and a CB for 100 amps, make sure he sets the connector to the 100 amp setting. The Model 3 is smart enough to limit the charging and if you ever have the need to charge a model S, it will charge at its max rating and not be down limited by the connector setting. And get the longer cable option for the wall connector (24'). The shorter option is pretty limited on where/how you can park the car and still connect.

slingshot18 | 2 November, 2018

My electrician friend charges $350-$500 for permitted installation. This is assuming the install is close to the panel and it has sufficient room. i.e. no subpanel needed.

Rickford | 2 November, 2018

50 foot run across the basement ceiling. had to fish half way. To code, $550.00 Stay away from that guy!

gdepau | 2 November, 2018

I got three quotes for the install. All included adding a 60 amp breaker to my panel box in the basement and running about 50 feet to my garage. Got three quotes using homeadvisor.com and they came in as $1200, $1350, & $640. Went with the $640 guy who had great references on home advisor and had done other Tesla chargers, that's what sold me. Scheduled within a week, took about 3 hours start to finish. My power was out for about a total of 30 seconds. The guy knew what he was doing!

placesc | 2 November, 2018

Depending on how far you have to travel for a run inside of 50 ft your looking at aprox $350 in materials for a 14-50.
This is based on 6g Copper, new breaker and boxes priced in the Austin area. My Electrician did the work for $775. Which is fair in my mind as they are licensed and bonded and given the materials were aprox half the cost.

Bonus for Austin but there is a rebate to install EV Charges which cuts the cost for me back to $400, so a no brainer.

djroni2000 | 3 November, 2018

So many different specs. What material is actually needed compared to what is preferred for the charging socket? MD

joe.lynn.atp | 3 November, 2018

I used Tesla, who sends Solar City installers. It seems to be a standard $1500 charge if you don’t need a sub panel, and that includes the wall connector. My car arrived sooner than I expected, and this was the quickest and easiest route for me, They handle the permits, and bring the wall connector with them. I had an 80 foot run for a 60 amp circuit. They were very professional, and seemed happy that I already had my car so we could plug it in and test it. They told me most of the time the car hasn’t been delivered yet. I guess most people are more organized than me.

DanFoster1 | 3 November, 2018

Your quote seems really high for a short run. I was quoted $1484 for 75-foot 100-amp cable run in conduit. Ended up doing it myself for $317.38.

joe.lynn.atp | 3 November, 2018

@djroni2000: there’s no simple answer to that question. It depends on how many miles you drive per day, and how fast you want to charge. The model 3 Long range will use up to 48 amps, which will charge at about 44 miles/hour. But the Tesla will only use 80% of the circuit ameperage so you need a 60 amp 240v circuit to get the maximum charging speed. At the other end of the spectrum, the Model 3 will charge on an ordinary 15 amp 120v circuit, where you will get between 4 and 5 miles of charge per hour. And it supports practically every size circuit in between. If you need to install a new circuit, then the material cost between a 30 and and 60 amp circuit isn’t all that much. To get the fastest charge, you need a Tesla Wall Connector. The mobile connector maxes out at 32 amps, so a 40 amp circuit will support that. Many people install a Nema 14-50 socket on a 50 amp circuit to use with the mobile connector. Check out the Charging section on the Tesla web site for more info.

morric628 | 3 November, 2018

My electrician wanted $1000 for a NEMA 14-50 installed DIRECTLY UNDER THE PANEL. I said no thanks and did it myself for $40 in parts.

jjgunn | 3 November, 2018

Welllllllll......you drive a Tesla....so you can AFFORD $2,100......

God damn buncha crooks.

Since you have the wall connector already, Max you should pay including permit & everything up to code is $1,000. I think even that is high but every situation is different.

ODWms | 3 November, 2018

@morric628, that’s what I did. As long as you KNOW what you’re doing, that’s the best way to go in my opinion, even over professional installation of the Tesla wall charger.

norton.bittencourt | 3 November, 2018

Boulder Colorado
Excel Electric Inc - Gunbarrel
$248.00
took the Electrician 2 hrs to install
Including a new 60 amp breaker installation
He had to run a wire 4 ft in the wall, change breaker and wire the wall charger
Perfect - clean - fast

DanFoster1 | 4 November, 2018

@morric628: Quoted $1000 for a NEMA 14-50 directly under the panel? Wow…that’s a new record in attempted extortion.

segun.eubanks | 4 November, 2018

Tesla quote of $1000 install plus $500 for the wall connector. My circuit breaker in the basement and other side of the house from the garage. Live in MD.

Infiniti Pi | 4 November, 2018

Just paid $1,300 for about 40’ installation. INcluded moving around lines in the breaker since it was full. Also included running the line through brick to crawl space and then back through to charger location. Fantastic job. My other quote started at $5k and then dropped to $2,600. Highly recommend getting at least 2 if not 3 quotes.

RKling16 | 4 November, 2018

Around $300 in materials just install your self pretty simple.

Errol_martinez | 4 November, 2018

Just paid $100

g35rocker | 4 November, 2018

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed by a Tesla recommended electrician. The outlet was installed right next to the electrical box, inside the garage. Permits were pulled and an inspection is included. It cost me $750 in San Diego (Carlsbad). They also had to move a few things around in my electrical box.

CorkChop | 4 November, 2018

Thats pretty crazy. I had mine installed for about $250.

Tesla2018 | 4 November, 2018

My brother is an electrician and my panel is in my garage and we put the plug about a foot underneath it for about $40 in parts. He also put an outlet in his house for me to use. Since he is about 240 miles away I dont have to worry about having to find a supercharger to get back home.
I

Albert | 4 November, 2018

I paid $250 to install a NEMA 14-50 in my garage. That price sounds excessive not knowing what work is actually involved.

ODWms | 4 November, 2018

I paid about $20 in parts and installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet, 50 amp breaker and all wiring myself. Pretty straighforward install right under my existing 200 amp panel in the garage.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QTP31HO

30 MPH charging is plenty to charge overnight, even from low to full battery if I needed to.

alirezaesfahane | 22 March, 2019

I quoted today for a total of $6167 which is not included the Tesla charger ($500). I was told the e-pannel (125 amp) needs to be changed for $2800. Main grounding sys $657, the conduit from main panel $1800, home storage protection $675 and the rest city permit. I live in CA. If I knew the cost, I would never buy the car.

tanya | 22 March, 2019

Lucky people. I was quoted between 10-15k.

tung1900 | 22 March, 2019

There are only 3 wires plus one green for ground, I watch YouTube and installed my self for total of less than $50.

triton3 | 22 March, 2019

alirezaesfahane, that seems excessive.
Needless to say, shop around, yelp.com was a good resource for me.

Some of my costs -
Conduit run for approx. 75ft of run = $940
Permit = $60

Also, if you are in Southern California, you maybe eligible for rebates (other regions may have their own rebates) -
SoCal Edison Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate = -$500
SoCal Air Quality Management District charging incentive pilot program = -$250

Tesla2018 | 22 March, 2019

My panel is in my garage and I only needed about 2 feet of wire. Its about $5 a foot so if you have a long run, it can be expensive. I think I paid 35 OR $40 for the parts and wire. My brother is an electrician and wired up my house and then did his too, so I can charge when I visit him.

Magic 8 Ball | 22 March, 2019

My neighbor (TESLA employee) just paid $390 for HPWC install. Simple install next to panel needing a 3ft run of flex conduit. No permit. Installer is out of Palo Alto and works surrounding area. Seems like a decent job and I can provide contact info. if requested.

suddled | 22 March, 2019

California, Bay Area: Had to get a second panel installed due to our main box being full. Had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed with a small box/cover for it also. First quote was about $1400, second quote was about $2400. Went with the first quote and it worked out great.

JustSaying | 22 March, 2019

Our main panel was full but as we have a gas dryer vs electric, we used the electric dryer breaker position.

JustSaying | 22 March, 2019

and put in a 60 amp breaker for the Tesla

bmarkjones | 22 March, 2019

We also used the electric dryer breaker in our panel since our dryer is gas and doesnt' use the 220v socket. Cost us less than $200 to have this done.

M3BlueGeorgia | 22 March, 2019

@alirezaesfahane

Don't install the Wall Charger then.
Look into other methods, for example asking a different electrician for a quote on installing a 14-30 or 14-50 socket.
You are in CA, so is the electric dryer close to where you'd charge the car? If so, consider something like Dryer Buddy.

The price you were quoted was insane.

Obstacle | 22 March, 2019

I obtained 4 quotes. 1st- $765, 2nd $3400, 3rd $1,100, and 4th, $2,135. #'s 2 and 4 were from Tesla listed electricians. To give you a sense of the project, I had 4-3 romex installed with 26 feet running from my box to the start of a finished ceiling in my basement plus another 23 ft over a finished basement ceiling to the garage (the joists ran in a friendly direction and there was one recessed light fixture about halfway to assist in running the wire). I went with the first quote and I literally have no drywall (amazingly) to repair. The Tesla listed electricians all warned me about substantial cutting in my ceiling and drywall.

Use Nextdoor.com to find local electricians. That's how I found #1 and #3 which were both very well reviewed. I didn't know it existed until 4 weeks ago.

Obstacle | 22 March, 2019

I obtained 4 quotes. 1st- $765, 2nd $3400, 3rd $1,100, and 4th, $2,135. #'s 2 and 4 were from Tesla listed electricians. To give you a sense of the project, I had 4-3 romex installed with 26 feet running from my box to the start of a finished ceiling in my basement plus another 23 ft over a finished basement ceiling to the garage (the joists ran in a friendly direction and there was one recessed light fixture about halfway to assist in running the wire). I went with the first quote and I literally have no drywall (amazingly) to repair. The Tesla listed electricians all warned me about substantial cutting in my ceiling and drywall.

Use Nextdoor.com to find local electricians. That's how I found #1 and #3 which were both very well reviewed. I didn't know it existed until 4 weeks ago.

mlmcconnell | 22 March, 2019

$350, plus the cost of the charger ($850 all in). Price included the 60 amp circuit breaker, NEMA 14/50 and pigtail to plug in the charger (I’m moving soon and taking that sucker with me). Tesla certified electrician did the install and it took about an hour. Easy-peasy.

ODWms | 23 March, 2019

Less than $20 in parts for a NEMA 14 50 setup in my garage that charges at a rate of 30 miles per hr. Took around 30 minutes if I recall correctly.

Pages