Forums

$5,000 Performance Model Refund? Don’t forget your sales tax.

$5,000 Performance Model Refund? Don’t forget your sales tax.

For those getting the $5,000 price reduction refund, if Tesla does not refund the sales tax on that you can request a refund from your state revenue department. That’s about $300 - $350 that you might not have thought of getting. Worth the paperwork. Forms are probably available online at your state’s revenue department.
I told Tesla customer service I wanted refund about 3 weeks ago but have yet to get the email. Anyone else in same situation? Thanks!

lilbean | 23 November, 2018

Seriously? You're lucky to even get a refund. Unbelievable!

Clublon | 23 November, 2018

I believe in paying taxes, I don’t believe in giving the State of Florida an extra $325 of which the state is not entitled.

TylerAnderson | 23 November, 2018

Yeah, it’s totally reasonable to request a tax refund given the revision in the sales price of the vehicle. It is not “unbelievable.” I agree with Clublon.

For anyone in the State of Texas who may go through this process, I’d appreciate any information regarding what you did to submit a tax refund. And if I figure it out, I’ll of course do the same. Thanks!

Yeah, it’s totally reasonable to request a tax refund given the revision in the sales price of the vehicle. It is not “unbelievable.” I agree with Clublon.

For anyone in the State of Texas who may go through this process, I’d appreciate any information regarding what you did to submit a tax refund. And if I figure it out, I’ll of course do the same. Thanks!

wayne | 23 November, 2018

I got the email. Had to give up free supercharging. No mention of tax. I think they are just going to mail a $5000 check. I’m happy but more would be nice.

rdavis | 23 November, 2018

I don’t believe you are going to qualify for a sales tax credit from the state. The sale price of your car didn’t charge, they are just giving you a rebate.

You don’t get sales tax back with anything else you buy that offers a rebate to my knowledge, but maybe I’m wrong.

Anyway, the money wouldn’t come from tesla, it would come from your state... so good luck there.

Bighorn | 23 November, 2018

What’s your time worth? Sounds like a time suck for most people.

^ fair point, depending on the process it may not be worth it at all. It is about $300 for most people, I imagine.

Clublon | 23 November, 2018

Florida is a simple online form. About 5 minutes to fill it out. I am retired. But $325. For 5-10 minutes of work sounds pretty good to me. I do not view it as a rebate. This is a refund due to price reduction.

I’m hopeful it’s that easy in Texas! I’ll have to do a little bit of research, for sure!

rdavis | 23 November, 2018

@Clublon, you may see it that way... the State will not.

howard | 23 November, 2018

I would think the tax office would need an amended sales contract showing the price reduction.

tanya | 23 November, 2018

@Clublon Can you share the URL of the form?

In their email they stated it's a refund, not a rebate. "If you would like to proceed with the $5,000 refund and the removal of your Free, Unlimited Supercharging please reply with a valid mailing address we can send the check to."

Clublon | 24 November, 2018

Tanya, http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/dr26s.pdf.
Here is Florida’s SalesTax Refund form. Two pages but not a lot to complete.

tanya | 24 November, 2018

@Clublon Thank you! I'll try if Tesla gives us 5K back and does not take care of taxes.

jacklondon413 | 3 January, 2019

Did anyone actually get a $5K refund check from their Performance Upgrade package version?

shawncordell | 3 January, 2019

I got mine the day before Christmas. I bought 3 mail order brides.

ODWms | 4 January, 2019

There have been quite a few members reporting having received their refund here. I’m still waiting.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

I got my check from Tesla a few weeks ago, then called my state refunds department to clarify what extra documents they might need. I just sent necessary paperwork yesterday, though I could have faxed it too.

MichaelB00012 | 4 January, 2019

It's not a rebate - it's a return. He returned an option of free supercharging, and received 5000 dollars back for that return. He should also get the taxes on that money back.

matt80206 | 4 January, 2019

Sounds like your reason better be good to the state and its subject to review of course, to me 350.00 wouldn't be worth the scrutiny. What did Tesla's check say? Mine is still being processed. I would assume that Tesla isn't filing amended documents, so all depends on the check and letter and would submit that into evidence. Interested what your state says. Mine is less liberal in application, I know I am planning on filing for SALT even though thats capped at 10k now... so the reduction would help there...

djharrington | 4 January, 2019

My invoice said absolutely nothing, and our tax is only 3%. I estimated that the trouble involved in convincing the state is not worth $150

lbowroom | 4 January, 2019

Would be a hoot if the state considered it income and taxed you on it.

howard | 4 January, 2019

I received my check which had no reference on it all regarding what is was for. I am more concerned about it being considered income. My only documentation with Tesla are emails from customer support stating the $5,000 is a refund for the removal of the free unlimited Supercharging. Technically as documented this has nothing to do with a reduction in the actual price of the car. This would not apply to a refund in state taxes as stated. I will not file for a tax refund. It is not worth the risk if audited.

Magic 8 Ball | 4 January, 2019

If the "refund" is a "gift" I think TESLA is required to pay the "gift" tax.

CPA's I know you are reading, please comment.

I am still on the fence whether I will ask for "gift".

Being on the fence is a change from your original position, isn't it?

Honestly though, its difficult to defend a position that it could be considered income. The facts are that you purchased a vehicle and that Tesla sent you money. There is no evidence that you have performed any service or provided any goods to Tesla to be compensated for. A simple declaration from you that it is a refund with Tesla email supporting should satisfy any auditor.

Yes.

If Trumpenomics continues I may need the 5K : ).

I want to give it more time to see what is what.
First off, I have no way of knowing if anyone got a check, for sure. Not really a CT person but saying things to get other people to ask for money is an age old scam.

Now that you called me out on this I am probably going to stick with letting TESLA decide, without asking for it.

howard | 4 January, 2019

I understand it being done this way as the refund being based on the removal of free unlimited supercharging is probably a net transaction on Tesla books. Not a loss on the actual car. While I am happy to have gotten the $5,000 it is technically not a concession on the performance performance upgrade now being included because the $5,000 was based on my losing a benefit that was not actually part of the car purchase but a separate marketing inducement.

Nevermind, I lost my train of thought and am reminded that I would have to give up free supercharging so there is a trade. The weird thing is that free supercharging is moving target, value wise, so in my case the 5K would be a better choice since I don't supercharge much.

My earlier position was when it initially happened and the trade in supercharging for the money put me on the fence.

Back on fence.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Do you want us to post a screenshot of the check? Lol

baller- Not that you have cause to believe me, you've actually attacked my credibility because I referred to 3 cases of something as "many". The checks are real.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

They told me to provide any supporting documents, such as emails, letters, check, etc. So I did send them copies of emails, EM's tweet, and I am not worried about audits as I don't avoid paying taxes.

Tanya, I could post a picture too, but photos can be altered. With all the info out there about it, that would be some pretty deep deception going on.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

I also received a check from Tesla for 11 dollars without any explanation. I assume they overcharged me originally for some fee.

There have been "many" accounts of checks being received just as there are many many accounts (TV shows too) about aliens taking people on to their spaceship. For some strange reason I still don't believe aliens from outer space are messing with us.

I am very close to believing the checks are real but TESLA has not communicated to me directly about an option to get a check or give up supercharging.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Everyone who received a check initiated the communication on their own. Tesla never asked me about it.

@tanya Yes, I understand that is the case. Why do you think TESLA has not proactively communicated to those that are eligible?

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@lbowroom
I could not care less if somebody believes me or not; I have extra 5k. Some people just choose to trust nobody. I am here to share info and to get some knowledge. ;)

Yes of course, reports of aliens is on par with checks. Although no one has been able to produce an alien and present it to you, someone in your vicinity can surely show you a check. Tesla is not going to reach out to offer you $5000 to give up FUSC, they assume you are happy and content with keeping FUSC unless you tell them differently.

Why do companies offer mail in rebates instead of just reducing the price of the product at point of sale? Because most people never bother to apply for the rebate.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Maybe because EM blurted out something without talking to his team first (at least so it sounded based on my calls with the customer service reps) and checking if they have enough money to cover all requests. They did mention in one of the first calls they would be sending emails to eligible owners, but I doubt this is going to happen now. Tesla has problems with logistics and probably will never fix them.

Just as I won't go alien hunting it is not worth it to me to go check hunting.

I like the happy and content argument and I believe you are saying only those "in the know" will have a choice. All others, that don't waste time reading twitter and forums, are "happy and content", correct?

For some reason this does not sit well with me. I am curious what the more consumer advocate types would have to say about this.

I am still on the fence with my ask even tho' 5K is worth more to me that free SC.

@tanya Are you saying some individual working at TESLA told you they will be sending emails?

TESLA nor any company operates like Borg. Individuals blow things out of their ass all of the time.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Over time I might pay more than 5K in SC as it is my main way of charging right now, but I personally prefer not to prepay for anything. There might be no tomorrow, or EV chargers will be on every corner in a year or two, or I'll move far from SC. Meanwhile, my 5K invested may grow significantly if I invest it in TSLA. lol

@tanya

Who knows things could get so weird that $2/KWhr becomes real, in that case free SC would would envied by all that do not have it. It is all a crapshoot but in this case I would feel better about this particular thing if everyone did get that email.

Who is John Galt? : )

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Yes, one of the representatives told me on the phone they will be sending an email, but I did not record my conversation, so I have no proof. It was first or second week after EM's tweet.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Or Tesla might be no more in a year.
Now I have to look up what does phrase "Who is John Galt?" stand for...

@tanya Proof of the conversation would not matter. I take almost everything people, I don't know, with a grain of salt. If a stranger tells me something that interests me I try to validate that information in as many ways as I can think of before I act on it.

tanya | 4 January, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
It seems to be more of a pile of salt than a grain. lol

Pages