Forums

Tesla Model S 60D to 75D battery upgrade

Tesla Model S 60D to 75D battery upgrade

I have a 75D battery which is software limited at 60D. I know some of you got an ugprade for $500. After a trip to the service center, they are quoting 2K. When i call the Customer service, they say its $500. Service center doesn't honor it and there seems to be a clear communication gap between CustomerService and service center. How do i handle this?

GHammer | 8 December, 2018

Your service center is correct. 60D to 75D is 2K. The 70D to 75D was the one for $500

Silver2K | 9 December, 2018

Hammer is correct. You can also check in your "my Tesla" by clicking on manage and look for upgrade options.

MelaniaFromBrentwood | 9 December, 2018

Pay online through your Tesla page. $2k. There’s a Russian guy on eBay doing for $1000 but buyer beware!! Californians got it free for 2 months thanks to fires!!

ckcland2 | 9 December, 2018

The current price is $2k for that upgrade, and that is what I paid almost a year ago. It was well worth it!

tsrikant | 9 December, 2018

@Full charge, i get 198 right now. How much do you get with 75 upgrade?

Yodrak. | 9 December, 2018

"I have a 75D battery which is software limited at 60D".

You have a 75 kWhr capacity battery that is limited to 60 kWhr useable capacity. The 'D' refers to the car having dual motors, not a reference to the traction battery.

ckcland2 | 10 December, 2018

252 for me @100%. I rarely charge to 100% though.

Silver2K | 10 December, 2018

I think that upgrade was once $9k, it's a steal right now.

dpollard31 | 11 December, 2018

Your car will probably also be eligible for uncorking. That takes your 0-60 down to 4.2 seconds and is worth much more than the extra range IMO. You can ask them to check it’s eligible before paying for the battery upgrade just in case your car is in the 1% that can’t be uncorked.

galo420 | 11 December, 2018

Late June 2016 purchase and I paid $3K to upgrade from original 70D to 75D to get 19 extra miles of range.. getting it for $500 now is crazy good

otang | 10 January, 2019

I just bought a 60D. Since the car is software limited and has a 75 KWhr battery, I can actually charge the battery to 100% because the battery is underused. In my previous Tesla S 85D, Tesla recommendation is charging the battery to 85%.

Is charging the 60D to 100% correct?

reed_lewis | 10 January, 2019

You are fine charging the 60D to 100% since you are only really charging to ~87%

The car will complain to you, but you can ignore it.

reed_lewis | 10 January, 2019

I upgraded my 60 kWh to 75 kWh when the price was $7K. It went down 30 days later to $2K. Tesla would not refund anything.

MySin_AZ | 10 January, 2019

@dpollard31- is the uncorking only available to post front refresh cars? I have a CPO S 60 2014 production year...but guessing that year can't be uncorked...

TeslaTap.com | 10 January, 2019

@MySin - Nothing to uncork. The 2013-2014 60s were a real 60 kW battery pack.

MySin_AZ | 10 January, 2019

@TT-is uncorking the same as range unlocking...thought uncorking was the acceleration...I did realize that my car's range can't be extending (although hoping that sometimes in the future there will be a cost effective battery exchange program)...wouldn't mind reducing my 0-60 from 5.5 to 4.2, if possible...

lwaprop | 15 May, 2019

Post refresh 60D eligible for upgrade now? 5.14.19.

TeslaTap.com | 15 May, 2019

@lwaprop - Yep. Has been for a year or so. Not sure of the cost though.

kyuyeunkim | 10 September, 2019

I was told the upgrade was discontinued this year. Is that correct?

rmkkaplan | 11 September, 2019

What happened to this???? It is no longer available on the website. I bought the car new in 2016 with the intent to unlock at a later date. I have been procrastinating, but I want to unlock it and now I can't. Service center says it isn't available anymore. Besides the fact that it is lame to take away something which was included in the sale of the car, it is free money to Tesla, so why wouldn't they want it?

reed_lewis | 11 September, 2019

Wow. This is $2K that Tesla is throwing away.

akikiki | 11 September, 2019

Tired of waiting on people to get the bargain maybe.

TeslaTap.com | 12 September, 2019

@reed - Or $80K Tesla gains by people trading up. My guess is the option went away when they discontinued the 75.

Generally, when you see a special deal from Tesla, grab it. They often don't last and may never be repeated.

hsuru4u | 12 September, 2019

but i am sure it can still be done to a 60d car right? Maybe it will be 1k soon or free? Isnt tesla down rating their used 75 cars to 60's and selling them?

atulsrivatsan89 | 16 September, 2019

Does Tesla still have this upgrade option? I do not see it on their website anymore.

jedinite | 18 September, 2019

How does one verify that Uncorked Mode is enabled after 75kW unlock?

larssthlm | 11 October, 2019

So I bought a used Model S 60 in July this year (2019) and planned to buy the upgrade to 75. I even spoke to Tesla about the upgrade and the cost of it. It took me six weeks to get the Tesla account, and by that time the upgrade was removed from the website!!! When is it coming back? Service center says the upgrade is no more. There must be a way to get it back?!? I live in Europe. Very annoyed at the moment.

n7142701886 | 13 October, 2019

Look like they discontinue range upgrade because of fire risk.

Mathew98 | 14 October, 2019

Totally false. It is not financially viable for physical upgrades.

For software upgrade, out snooze, you lose. I don't see anyone complaining about missing the half price sale for FSD.

Mathew98 | 14 October, 2019

Out/you

cohen.stephen | 18 October, 2019

Really? Upgrade options just "goes away"? No notification that the offer was going to expire, no mention that it was a limited time offer. No, just overnight it vanishes. I love their product but this company business practices are 3rd rate.

larssthlm | 7 November, 2019

I just got a reply from my Service center saying that the upgrade not being available is a system fault with "My Tesla" website. They also said it should be back by the end of the year once the problem has been resolved.. anyone else hear anything??!

axel.raynal | 7 November, 2019

I'm also interested to buy a 60D from 2016/09 and by the upgrade, so how can we get a true answer for this question ?

swildschut | 8 November, 2019

I got in touch with a service center in Amsterdam and they sent me the following quote:

Service/Labor FRT Hours FRT Price
Subtotal Labor Price: (EUR) 0.00
Parts: Price
1091845-07-A - BATTERY UPGRADE, 60kWh to 75kWh, MX 3,966.94
Subtotal Parts Price: (EUR) 3,966.94
Subtotal Services and Parts: (EUR) 3,966.94
Discount: (EUR) 0.00
Shipping: (EUR) 0.00
Estimated Tax: (EUR) 833.06
Total Amount: (EUR) 4,800.00
Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

bcirce | 27 November, 2019

I purchased a 75 from a local dealership. When I got it home and ran the software update, the car actually downgraded to a 60. Now that this upgrade is gone, there does not appear to be any way to get it back to a 75 at this time either. I contacted Tesla and they said there is nothing they can do about it.

ggendel | 27 November, 2019

@larssthlm, That is pretty much the information I got from my service center. They have a bulletin that claims it to be back by end of this quarter so I expect it stretch into next year.

michael | 12 December, 2019

I'm in Australia, had a battery issue a few months ago and they sorted it out for me. Ever since, the car has been showing that it's a 75, not a 60. It's like they upgraded it as part of fixing the battery. Still have the 60 badge on the car though.

nash07 | 23 December, 2019

Any luck? I have an appointment with the service center after Christmas. I’ll try my luck and see how it goes.

There is a huge disconnect between the sales team and call center. The service center said that it’s still available and would be available from my mytesla.com account. I don’t see it. The call center says that my car is not eligible and don’t give any reason. Mine is a July 2016 Model S 60.

Anyone else? Please share your experience

stevenyu85 | 2 January, 2020

This was the answer after visiting the service center in the beginning of December 2019. “Due to a technical issue - no battery upgrades can be performed at this time - Tesla states that by the end of this year it
will be available on your App to perform and by the end of the first quarter 2020 to perform at the service center.”

stevenyu85 | 2 January, 2020

This was the answer after visiting the service center in the beginning of December 2019. “Due to a technical issue - no battery upgrades can be performed at this time - Tesla states that by the end of this year it
will be available on your App to perform and by the end of the first quarter 2020 to perform at the service center.”

brian77nj | 2 February, 2020

I purchased a 2016 Model S and took delivery in September 2016. At that time my car was branded as an S60 but it had a 75kWh battery pack. I think the original upgrade/unlock price was 10 or 12k (I could be mistaken). What I do remember is that the price was then around 9k, dropped to 7k then dropped to 2k. Around June 2019, Tesla redesigned the Tesla Account layout and the battery upgrade as well as autopilot upgrade went missing. Tesla service center was totally clueless and offered me to buy a new car if i wanted longer range. That was after I was offered to take an Uber the next 1.5 weeks while my car was going in for prepaid maintenance. Moving on, the issue I have was that there was no warning I would no longer be eligible for the upgrades. I really hope this was truly a software glitch and it will come back soon.

jimglas | 2 February, 2020

You bought a S60
And are angry that you got what you paid for?

SbMD | 2 February, 2020

Fair point, @jim.

Furthermore, @brian, prepaid maintenance visits do not take 1.5 weeks, and they stagger appointments for such visits accordingly so they don't have to have a car on the lot for more than a day or two.

The 75kWh upgrade is no longer available, @brian. AFAIK, the only people who have been able to get it unlocked after the option went away are those who had this as part of their purchase plan. So, if this is listed on your purchase materials as an option, then you may be able to negotiate it.

akikiki | 2 February, 2020

What do you think the offer to buy the upgrade was under your account? That was your opportunity and warning rolled into one. Just like that missed item on ebay, you missed the cheap battery upgrade too.

Why are you posting here about it is the mystery. Like jim said, you got what you paid for and didn't what you didn't pay for.

brian77nj | 2 February, 2020

Wow, what a bunch of nasty people here. You all seem to be Tesla experts. I'm not sure why you think i'm lying about bringing my car in for its 3 year maintenance and that they kept it for 1.5 weeks.

SbMD | 2 February, 2020

@brian - my points were not saying that you were lying, but simply pointing out you brought something up that is not normal or typical. If you have additional information why routine maintenance would require you to leave your car for 1.5 weeks, please provide it. It just doesn't make sense; I have had my car serviced as part of the prepaid service for the last 5 years without ever having to do anything like that. Maybe there's something amiss here.

SbMD | 2 February, 2020

Actually, 4 years; haven't done a 5th year service yet but probably won't...

stew | 3 February, 2020

@brian77nj ignore the potential Tesla employees ;)

From https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/range-upgrade-change-option-to-u...
Yes same here also annoyed about this. Shall we try to gather up everyone affected by this?
1. Gather up everyone affected and willing to take part
2. Group tweet to Tesla/Elon at a specified date (expecting no response)
3. Threaten legal action
4. Take legal action

There is legal standing because it was a fundamental feature when the car was sold which was then removed without notice. So at the very least Tesla owes us the feature that they sold us. The resale value of the car is dramatically affected (so there is possibly also grounds for compensation as part of the legal action) depending on 60KW vs 75KW.

TeslaTap.com | 3 February, 2020

@stew - Good luck with that. Tesla can charge and change offers anytime. They are happy to upgrade your car for $80K, and they will toss in a brand new car with even longer range as a bonus.

Unless you have a contract that states you will have the ability for upgrading your S60 to an S75 forever at some fixed cost, I'm sorry to say, you don't have a case. I'm fairly sure that the upgrade option was never in the original contract.

I can see being angry that you missed out on a deal, and perhaps Tesla will bring such a deal back, but I suspect not.

akikiki | 3 February, 2020

Where do we stand so we can see clearly as you pursue that lawsuit?

Pages