Forums

Nema 14-30 splitter

Nema 14-30 splitter

Hello, I am trying to use a Nema 14-30 I have for my dryer, I bought the Tesla adapter for it, but I have read that constantly unplugging and plugging back on the dryer outlet could damage it. I was thinking about getting a Nema 14-30 splitter, so I can leave my dryer connected and just plug my Tesla when I need charging. I would not be using both at the same time of course. I was looking at this product

Parkworld 886603 NEMA 14-30 Splitter, Dryer 14-30P Male Plug to (2) 14-30R Female Receptacle, Dryer 4-Prong 30 AMP 14-30 Y Adapter Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVSSYQL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.ZgqCbQWZBQYT

Do you think this would be ok as long as I only use one at a time? Is it really true that plugging and unplugging a nema 14-30 dryer outlet could damage it? Thank you

wiboater4 | 17 January, 2019

I think that is way overpriced . I'd look for something cheaper or just make my own.

f_calero | 17 January, 2019

wiboater4 Sure I will look for a cheaper one, but do you think it’s safe? I don’t know much about this stuff as you can probably tell :(

If you use it like you say you will I think it would be ok but probably not up to electrical code. But I'm not an electrician either.

I'd just like to add that I spent the $500 for the wall connector and installed it myself for a little under $200. I drive the car into the garage , get out reach for the connector that is nice and close to the charge port and plug in. Since it's something I do everytime I drive it does seem worth spending the money on it. If you can afford it that is the way to go . now they do have the other connector that plugs into a Nema 14 50 outlet also. Call around to a bunch of electricians and get free estimates if you decide to do what I did.

howard | 17 January, 2019

I would not use the splitter. It is most definitely not code. If there were a fire or issue with the electrical system and the fire department or insurance agent saw that hanging from the wall whether the cause or not it could be an issue.

I would plug and unplug. It would take a lot of cycles to wear out the receptacle and if it does you could replace it. Better safe than convenient. Do you happen to have gas available at the dryer?

f_calero | 17 January, 2019

howard Thank you for the advice. What do you think about using an extension cord to the dryer outlet? I don’t think I have gas near my dryer, why?

Coastal Cruiser. | 17 January, 2019

f_calero, here is a link to a home charging guide some of the forum members put together. Although not an ideal solution, there is listing for a preferable splitter than the one you listed on Amazon.

As wiboater4 suggested, there is no substitute, both convenience-wise and safety-wise, for a dedicated outlet on a dedicated circuit (its own circuit breaker).

What howard is suggesting is that if you have gas in the house you could put in a gas dryer and free up the outlet for the car.

From what I have learned about charging cars in the 3 years I've been on this forum is that the weakest link in the chain is the OUTLET. They make a commercial grade version of outlets that can withstand a certain amount of plugging and unplugging. For myself, I would swap in such a heavy duty outlet regardless of whether I was sharing the receptacle or not. Again, it is the weak link, and an older, residential grade outlet is a variable. (and I take my own medicine. I just bought an EV and the first thing I did was order a commercial grade outlet). The charging guide I linked to above has details.

Cheers

Coastal Cruiser. | 17 January, 2019
howard | 17 January, 2019

f_calero, They do make heavy duty extension cords for a Nema 14-30. If you are just trying to make the plug swap out easier use a short a one as possible. It would not be preferable over direct circuit connection but I can see the issue with swapping it out all the time.

kevin_rf | 18 January, 2019

I'm surprised no one suggested a dryer buddy. It's a splitter that only allows one item plugged into it work at a time.

https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys

Coastal Cruiser. | 18 January, 2019

Actually, someone did.

SteveWin1 | 18 January, 2019

Yeah, I use a dryer buddy. Works great and tells me how much electricity I'm using.

Bloodygene | 25 March, 2020

Hi f_calero, wondering what you ultimately did regarding your dryer/EV plug? Did you get the splitter and if so, how does it work for you?