Forums

Rear view camera - showing black screen

Rear view camera - showing black screen

Starting yesterday, when I got in my car to drive home, I noticed the screen took a while to turn on. When I put the car in reverse, the view of the rear view was just a black screen, not a view out of the camera. It stayed like that the entire way home. I unloaded the car, locked it and came back to it a few minutes later, clicked on the camera and I could see the view just fine.

I went out this morning and tried it again and it was the black screen again. Any ideas? What should I do?

Infiniti Pi | 20 January, 2019

do a system reboot. hold both thumb wheels on the steering wheel down until the screen changes to notify you

kenyandave | 20 January, 2019

Can this be done while driving? I was on the highway and the screen froze when selecting some music.

Infiniti Pi | 20 January, 2019

no, unfortunately you need to be stopped

007bond | 20 January, 2019

Oddly last night our car started to do the exact same black screen rear cam. What is most interesting is it is obvious these are bugs as many owners exp the same event many times on the same day even time.

EVRider | 20 January, 2019

You can reboot while driving, though it’s a bit disconcerting since you lose your display. In Model S/X, rebooting the touchscreen doesn’t impact the separate instrument panel display so it’s less of an issue.

azdonna | 20 January, 2019

It's happened to me a couple of times. Obviously a bug. I filed a bug report when it happened.

don | 20 January, 2019

Yes, I've done the reboot...

cbenoit | 21 January, 2019

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Did a bug report right away. Soft reboot did not fix the problem. I see there's other threads with the same problem going back throughout 2018. Hopefully next time I get in it works.

dugande | 21 January, 2019

I did the reboot, holding down both thumb wheels until the Tesla symbol appeared and then the map appeared. The backup camera screen was still back. Did the same steps a second time and same results. I will see what happens in the morning.

bengarlick | 23 January, 2019

I am now seeing this issue. Had just updated to 2018.50.6, but that could be coincidence. Rebooting does not help.

rk242 | 23 January, 2019

I've had this happen to me twice now, most recently last weekend. Both times it started working again after leaving the car for a few hours. Make sure to file a bug report when it happens.

martinbaker2727 | 24 January, 2019

What is most interesting is it is obvious these are bugs as many owners exp the same event many times on the same day even time.https://freemoviesite.me/snappy-streamz-apk/
https://techranc.com/bobmovies-best-alternatives/

sherloc987 | 24 January, 2019

I am now seeing this issue. Had just updated to 2018.50.6, but that could be coincidence. Rebooting does not help.
http://iapkdownload.com/live-lounge-apk/
https://www.techtrickhub.com/fortcraft-apk-download/

HighlandPony | 24 January, 2019

This happened to me once, soft and hard reboots did not resolve the issue. But powering down the car and waiting several minutes before pressing the brake pedal did clear it up.

johnw | 25 January, 2019

This happened to me a few times. If I remember right, I was able to manually turn on the backup camera using the app window. This happened several times for a couple of days and then disappeared. A little unnerving how these tesla ghosts show up.

gregmberry | 20 February, 2019

I am getting a black reverse camera screen as well all of sudden. I tried a reset, didn’t help. Any other suggestions? I’ve only had my Model 3 Performance for less than 2 weeks.

Teslanene | 20 February, 2019

Also started getting the black screen last couple of days. It started for me after doing the sentry update this past weekend.

bwong24 | 20 February, 2019

Me too. But I can't blame it on the Sentry Mode. I didn't get it yet.

mailvdutt | 20 February, 2019

I got my tesla model3 on 15-feb-2019, today i started getting black screen for my rear camera.Tried reboot, but still the same

robljanssen | 20 February, 2019

Me too, white lines were still there but black screen.
Put in P and back in R and that solved it.

johnw | 20 February, 2019

Did you guys try manually turning on the reverse camera from the screen? That worked for me when this happened. I had it happen several times in 1 week and then the problem mysteriously fixed itself. Tesla installs gremlins for no extra charge I guess.

brents | 23 February, 2019

My rear camera just stopped working this aft - first time I have seen this issue. Rebooting, shifting from d to r multiple times, heating garage to a pleasant 55 degrees (chitown area) did not help. It has been raining today; so, maybe something here as another post indicated - not sure. Updated to V10.6 a few weeks ago; so, not sure if sftwe bug with this version is the cause. I was fortunate to get this car last July 2018 and have had only a few minor issues - this car is just awesome on so many levels! So, I am not that concerned about this minor issue, but, still want it fixed...

brents | 23 February, 2019

My rear camera is now working properly. My sftwe version is 50.6, not 10.6. This is what I did (not sure what fixed the issue):
1. filed bug with tesla spt on car with speaker command: "report bug rear camera is not working"
2. reported issue with spt on tesla site
3. rebooted car cmptr multiple times,but that did not fix issue right away...

alvinw818 | 25 February, 2019

my newly delivered P was having this issue. The reverse view was consistently black for about a couple of hours. It eventually worked again. I hope the new update fixes this.

vergho | 22 March, 2019

Same here...went out yesterday and rebooted soft and hard. Neither fixed it but then later in day, magically it worked again.

vergho | 22 March, 2019

Same here...went out yesterday and rebooted soft and hard. Neither fixed it but then later in day, magically it worked again.

Mtonatiuh | 11 April, 2019

Lots of reports here: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-model-3-backup-camera-black-...

I never had this issue (delivered end Sept 2018).
But it is happening to me every single day since I got 2019.8.5 like a week ago. In my case:

- Go into Reverse
- Screen pops up black
- If I wait, usually after 20 LONG secs it displays video feed, sometimes longer, and I just go without it.
- Once the video feed is there, if I go to Drive and the back to Reverse the video seems to immediately show up as expected.

Definitely seems like a software regression.

MUSICbox | 11 April, 2019

Same thing happens to me on my 3. Reboot fixes the issue.