Forums

Suggested size for USB jump drive for Sentry Mode

Suggested size for USB jump drive for Sentry Mode

Any suggestios for the size I need to have for adequate storage. In addition, how does one "format" the drive? In the car?

Thanks!

TeslaTap.com | 15 July, 2019

@EVRider - Thanks!

Also consider using the option to automatically turn off Sentry mode at home. It may dramatically reduce the amount of video saved and extend the time before you need to erase the drive.

stevec195 | 2 August, 2019

I have two issues with my Phillips 64gb 2.0 USB memory stick which I recently purchased to support the sentry mode:
1. The data never seems to overwrite. When the stick is full I get a round red circle with an exclamation point; that when touched says: unable to read memory device.
2. Over the course of a 16 hour trip over 36 hours, when I would insert the “full” USB stick in to attempt overwriting again I received on 2 occasions a failure of the autopilot and cruise control. This failure would last until I removed the USB and give the computer a while to sort itself out.
Any thoughts?

andy.connor.e | 2 August, 2019

Copy the data from the flash drive onto a computer or other storage device and wipe it clean.

dmastro | 2 August, 2019

I bought this on Prime Day and it's worked well for me so far. Took it out of the packing and it was plug and play. After about 10 days I think the drive was +/-60% full.

Sandisk 128GB USB stick

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9PWH9K/

andy.connor.e | 2 August, 2019

@dmastro

Be careful with that USB stick. Its writing speeds claim to be UP TO 15x faster than 4MB/s, which is only a maximum of 60MB/s. And you know for sure you're not getting the maximum ever. But its definitely a good value for the size of the stick.

dmastro | 2 August, 2019

I'll use it for as long as it works, and then replace if it stops. As I mentioned, so far it's been fine.

I check every week or ten days or so to make sure it's recording and to delete the old files, so if it does fail I should notice it quickly.

CaliforniaMaki808 | 2 August, 2019

You probably want a low profile usb. why do you want it sticking out?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1384374-REG/sandisk_sdcz430_128g_...

tenchir | 2 August, 2019

It doesn't matter if a thumb drive claims to have 10,000 write cycles. A SSD have controllers to handle wear leveling so all cells will have similar amount of write cycles. A QLC (the worst kind of cells after TLC, MLC, SLC)) SSD will still have 5-10 years of lifetime (assuming 10GB write per day), so a SSD can last the life of the car.

bjrosen | 2 August, 2019

I have a 128G SanDisk. I formatted it using Gparted on Linux. You also have to create a folder called TeslaCam. Would be nice if they offered a way to format it in the car, seems like an oversite.

marc.e.marcsf | 14 September, 2019

So I purchased the Samsung 256 Gb flash drive a while back. I have tried everything under the sun to get it to be recognized by my 2017 Model S TeslaCam application. I have formatted it on my Mac in Fat32 and ExFat multiple times. I have an old 1 Gb slow flash drive that works fine. The new Samsung (super fast) one doesn't seem to work even though it works fine in EVERYTHING else.

Any ideas out there since I specifically read on here the Samsung flash drives tend to work?

EVRider | 15 September, 2019

@marc: Don’t waste you time trying exFAT — that isn’t supported. Needs to be FAT32 (or ext4, a Linux format). Did you remember to create the TeslaCam folder after formatting the drive?

billlake2000 | 17 September, 2019

Tesla Tap, my Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SD coupled with the Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD gets hot. I just bought them and plugged it in to test, Test went okay enough, but I noticed pulling the little guy out of the USB port, that booger was hot. Isn't that a recipe for early failure?

leo33 | 17 September, 2019

@bill I stopped using the little Rocketek adaptor and picked up one of the adapters that TeslaTap listed. It still gets a little warm, but not nearly as.bad as with the Rocketek.

billlake2000 | 17 September, 2019

Good to know. Thanks

Dan2bn | 12 October, 2019

Need help please I have a extra HP M700 2.5" 120GB SATA III Planar MLC NAND Flash Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)...i would like to use this to record. Question is 1) would this work fine 2) if so what type of enclosure would i need to purchase to connect to tesla. Thx in advance

EVRider | 13 October, 2019

@Dan2bn: I don’t know if it would work, but you’ll probably spend more on an enclosure than you would on a new 128GB microSD card and USB adapter, which would definitely work. You might find this article helpful: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam

jrweiss98020 | 13 October, 2019

$10 for a simple USB-Sata adapter. I use one to connect my movie drive to my home router:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119874?Description=usb%20sata&cm_re=us...

Pages