Forums

Tesla Private Party(another owner) Purchase Experiences

Tesla Private Party(another owner) Purchase Experiences

So apparently if you have purchased your car from a private party(owner) you are not eligible for the discounted price(Auto Pilot-FSD) because it is post delivered? For that same reason, I cannot purchase extended warranty although their website explicitly says it is eligible if not purchased from a third party dealer.

Quote from application engineer:

We just wanted to reach out to you with regards to your recent inquiry about the discounted pricing regarding "Autopilot" and "Full Self Driving" however after escalating your concern at hand, it was determined by our engineering team that the reason why the vehicle in question was not reflecting the discounted pricing is because the vehicle in question is ineligible for the discounted pricing. Reason being that post delivered vehicles are not eligible for the discounted pricing. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Tesla simply lost a customer and a Model Y preorder I have placed will now be canceled if I am to be treated in such a way, nowhere in their website or any post says anything about the above.

So beware before buying the car from someone else, you will most likely be treated differently and alienated, are these cars not also Tesla cars? Makes me feel like I purchased a fake branded product.

jimglas | 17 March, 2019

you pay the same as any other owner of a used Tesla. No More, No Less. It is that simple.

bruno | 17 March, 2019

That's my Point I know of other used owners that purchased it last week at 5000 for both, their support said that everyone is eligible myself Included until this morning that is.

EVRider | 17 March, 2019

I think you were misinformed, and should push back. The blog entry (https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-and-full-self-driving-cap...) doesn’t distinguish between pre- and post-delivery, and plenty of people who already took delivery of their cars bought AP or FSD atvtge discounted price (me included).

By the way, are you aware that the “deposit” you paid on the Model Y is a “processing fee” that isn’t applied to the purchase price? Read your order agreement. I was surprised to see this in one of the Electrek articles about the Model Y launch.

bruno | 17 March, 2019

@EVRider the $2,500 due at order is fully refundable see the design page.

BossHoss | 17 March, 2019

Until your Vehicle is delivered to you, you may cancel your pre-order at any
time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Pre-Order Payment.

we will provide a credit to the final pre-order price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Pre-Order Payment you paid.

EVRider | 18 March, 2019

I knew the deposit was refundable, but I misread the Electrek article so disregard what I said earlier: https://electrek.co/2019/03/15/tesla-model-y-cash-grab

They were saying that the $2,500 is considered a processing fee rather than a deposit, but either way it gets credited to the final balance.

christopher.holcomb | 5 April, 2019

I recently bought a Model 3 AWD from a private party and have been waiting a week to get Tesla to move the car to my account so I can access the car from the Tesla app. So far I am a bit concerned about the support that second owners get with Tesla.

How long did it take for them to transfer the car to your account?