Forums

Setting for charging / port to stop / unlock automatically?

Setting for charging / port to stop / unlock automatically?

Are there any setting on the M3 to stop charging and unlock the charge port when I unlock the vehicle by opening the door? It’s annoying in the mornings to have to manually stop the charge, wait, and unlock the charge port. This morning, the unlock button didn’t come up on the screen so I had to do it via the app. Sure it’s not a big deal, but ... annoying.

Magic 8 Ball | 24 April, 2019

How horribly annoying.

#firstworldwhines

donharvey2323 | 24 April, 2019

If you push the button on the charger handle is will stop charging and unlock.

ryooki | 24 April, 2019

@donharvey, thx! I need to try it out next time I charge!

ryooki | 10 May, 2019

@donharvey, I couldn’t find a button anywhere on the included mobile cable. Where is it?

billlake2000 | 10 May, 2019

Not sure if this is true on everyone's car, but pushing the button on mine doesn't work when I first go to the car in the morning. I first have to for example pop the trunk with my fob. The button is hard to see, but it is on the part of the charge cable that plugs into the charge port, maybe a couple of inches from the end.

bddaughe | 10 May, 2019

Pushing the button doesn't unlock mine either. But I find opening the back door and shutting it again is enough to allow the button to work. It's not ideal, but may be more convenient than popping the trunk.

jithesh | 10 May, 2019

When I am supercharging pushing the button on the supercharger plug does stop and unlock chargeport.

When I am using J1772 adapter with Chargepoint pressing the button on the J1772 chargepoint plug stops and unlocks chargeport.

In both cases I always wait till I see the Tesla icon to become white color

CharleyBC | 10 May, 2019

It never occurred to me to go through those steps. I just open the door, and touch the button on the charger handle as I pull it out.

derotam | 10 May, 2019

@billlake2000, yeah that happens to me but not all the time. I either pop the trunk or partially tilt the back door handle to "wake" the car up.

mknewman | 10 May, 2019

My button does not wake the car up either. I have to open a door or the app.

CharleyBC | 10 May, 2019

I’d value a geo-fenced option along the lines of, “Don’t lock charge port at home”.

Frank99 | 10 May, 2019

ryooki -
There's a button on the mobile connector, but it's not obvious. Push on the silver dot on the handle and you'll feel the "click".

Waking up the car in the morning to unplug the UMC is annoying; I read the hint here a long time ago that if you push the rear door handle lightly - not enough to open the door - it'll wake the car and you can then push the button on the UMC to unlock it and pull it out. Seems like a convenience feature that Tesla missed when they designed the Model 3 - oh, well, they'll get it right in the Model Y.

billlake2000 | 10 May, 2019

For me, I don't always have my phone with me, hence cannot open door. Additionally, my garage is so narrow (read that, filled with shit) that I can't even reach my doors. Hence, (doncha like that word?) I always take my fob out, and two quick clicks opens my trunk, click on charge handle opens port and allows cable to be withdrawn and then fob summons car out of garage, so I can open a door and get the stuff I forgot I left in the car last night.

chillybins | 27 May, 2020

I'd like to have the following logic:
- approach car and as the car unlocks the doors
- charging stops (if still charging)
- charging port is also unlocked
- I unplug the cabel and drive off

In Case I walk away again
-car locks the doors
-charging port locks too
- resumes charging (if charging target hasn't been reached)

This setting needs to be specific for geo location. You don't want to stop charging at a public/tesla charging station.

EVRider | 27 May, 2020

@chillybins: Other than having the car automatically stop charging, that’s pretty much how things work already, isn’t it?