Forums

(VIDEO) Failed On-Route Battery Warmup up

(VIDEO) Failed On-Route Battery Warmup up

First of all Happy Memorial Day Weekend to you and your family. Enjoy and Safe Travels. Tested our Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus using the new On-Route Battery Warm Up feature newly released earlier this month for Standard Range Model 3 variants. It wasn't what I expected at first with many failures but it surprised me in the end.

https://youtu.be/_6Gn9dyTQ8w

kevin_rf | 26 May, 2019

If you get your SOC down so low you have only 15 miles of range left your battery will get quite warm. I suspect that is why you where limited to 48kw on your first attempt. The car/SC was protecting the battery, so not a prewarm fail. It was actually to hot. On your second attempt your SOC was not as warm and the battery was quite happy to charge at the higher rate.

Magic 8 Ball | 26 May, 2019

Please change title. The only fail was the lack of understanding.

Also, the video is a spam video don't bother watching.

lilbean | 26 May, 2019

And Memorial Day is not happy.

Tropopause | 26 May, 2019

Flagged!

kevin_rf | 26 May, 2019

Why flag? This is a perfect example of what pre-warm does not do. If your battery is warmer than ideal, the SC will limit the charge rate. It's a learning experience for the OP. He needs to wait for cold weather to try again.

@kevin I don't flag much (and I have not flagged this one) but does the other video the OP posted about Costco have a bunch of spam at the end, as well (did not watch)?

Just_Ted | 26 May, 2019

+1 lilbean. Memorial Day commemorates those who gave there life in uniform.

jordanrichard | 26 May, 2019

Where is it cold enough that one’s battery needs warming in the first place....? Also, since there is no “battery warming” indication, how would you even know if it was on in the first place?

+1,000 lilbean. VERY UNFORTUNATELY Memorial Day is now about selling BBQ crap and beer.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 26 May, 2019

From one vet to another, @MillennialVet needs to un-ass himself and drop the "Happy" and stick to the basics, like change the title of the post to "Successful On Route Battery Warm-Up". I fast forwarded through the video and watched him proclaim success at the end. He knew it was a success before creating the post. Why call it a failure? I guess the kid wanted some click bate spam.

82bert | 26 May, 2019

@jordanrichard. Are you being serious? Many Tesla owners live in cold weather climates. I could’ve used the pre-warm feature this past winter multiple times on trips.

lbowroom | 26 May, 2019

There's a whiney sound when the pre-heat is active

kevin_rf | 26 May, 2019

@82bert, I think he meant where is it currently cold enough. I also could have really used it last winter.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 26 May, 2019

@lbowroom,
I heard a whiney sound when 16.2 was installing. I wonder if the car activates the pre-heat mechanism during the install just as sort of an Op Check of the system? Either way, I rarely supercharge so I haven't heard the whiney sound since the install.

bcb2220 | 26 May, 2019

threads like this makes me eye roll.

jjgunn | 26 May, 2019

I yam what I yam...and that's all what I yam

82bert | 26 May, 2019

@kevin_rf. Ahhh. You’re probably right and makes much more sense. I’ve still had a few days in MN this month I could use it, however. Finally turning the corner now n