Forums

GM says that they will be able to sell EVs at a cheaper price.

GM says that they will be able to sell EVs at a cheaper price.

www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gm-planning-electric-cars-wont-211435164.html

With Tesla lowering the cost of batteries, this makes sense.

blue adept | 22 July, 2019

@NKYTA

Lol!

I can see more people flocking to Tesla once the reality of our world's dire consequences, resulting from their unfortunate choice of continued use of fossil fuel-based transportation, sinks in.

Combine that with the increased market saturation of Tesla / BEV powered vehicles increasing public awareness of their existence, practicality, sensibility, functionality, reliability and absence of compromise regarding comfort, style, features and luxury dispelling even the best efforts of conventional automakers insisting that we NEED to continue buying their poison spewing offerings and people will start to come around.

People are strange creatures, you can't always convince them that safety is in their best interests but, sometimes, they can be made to come to that realization when faced with the grave facts of our current state of environmental affairs and the existence of a viable, non-poisonous alternative.

I mean, we really don't have any other choice at this point...Adopt a different power paradigm or enable a small handful of people to exterminate us, and themselves, with their selfishness and greed.

@TeslaTap.com

I am in complete agreement with your position.

@Madatgascar

Perhaps no one else is willing to join in with you on your distinction because we realize that dealerships ("stealerships") are just an extension of the automakers themselves, a way for them to "double dip" on their profit margins by providing local outlets for their products so it's not that they're separate entities, just the marketing arm of the same company...

Capisci?

@Roger1

Thanks for the supportive input.

+1

That's pretty much the bottom line...

Conventional automakers are going to have to switch from producing ICE's to BEV's or they're going to be personally responsible for the loss of thousands of jobs as well as the loss of 3 to 3.5 percent of the overall GDP.

Sink or swim, the choice is theirs.

andy.connor.e | 22 July, 2019

Will probably be the middle of the next decade before there is another EV worth buying. Love Tesla, but not enough minerals, need to mine more minerals.

SamO | 22 July, 2019

Another heretic converted to the Church of Elon. When you look out into the world, there are false prophets and mitt men galore. Hybrid-floggers, compliance hypers.

There is a single EV automaker that has a chance to transition the world from fossil fuels.

There is a single EV automaker with their own Giga-sized battery factories with scale to build millions of cars.

There is a single worldwide charging network that covers Europe, North American, China, Australia, Japan, NZ . . .

I've written this hundreds of times in various permutations to disbelieving skeptics: only Tesla is positioned to build the cars of the future.

Autonomy.
Electricity.
Simplicity.
Storage.
Solar.
Add Rockets and Brain-Machine Interface to suit.

And nothing has changed since 2012 when I wrote all of that. No other automaker is selling more than compliance numbers. No automaker has a car even on par with a 2012 Model S. And there is no clear path toward that goal. W

dmm1240 | 22 July, 2019

@Madatgascar. It is huge. I used to work for a major soft drink company. They called the people who eventually bought their product consumers, which I always thought vaguely insulting. They called franchised bottlers who bought syrup from them and turned it into soft drinks and stocked it on retail shelves the customer.

blue adept | 23 July, 2019

@andy.connor.e

Regarding the issue of access to the necessary "minerals"...

That's what I'm getting at when I mention my optimism over human ingenuity and the ability to change when faced with necessity, that is, everyone here should realize that their position is premised upon and hinged on Li-ion technology remaining the primary &/or dominant energy-battery storage technology but...

What if someone comes across something else &/or devises another means of storing electricity &/or energy in a format other than Li-ion that is more abundant or efficient at energy &/or electricity storage?

What then?

I know, I know...Just because you can lead a horse to water doesn't mean that you can make it drink.

I guess the inevitable outcome will be Tesla taking all.

Pages