Forums

toll tag location

toll tag location

Where is the best spot on the 2019 X for toll tag location?
Having trouble with searching up-to-date locations.
Thank you.

dhelmly | 9 June, 2019

EZ Pass in our region has 2 versions (license plate mount or stick to window) I use the front license plate version - basically a long bar that aligns license plate screws holes. My state require a front licence plate. You could mount it in the lower grill area with wire ties. It's small enough not block air flow.

dhelmly | 9 June, 2019

EZ Pass in our region has 2 versions (license plate mount or stick to window) I use the front license plate version - basically a long bar that aligns license plate screws holes. My state require a front licence plate. You could mount it in the lower grill area with wire ties. It's small enough not block air flow.

dhelmly | 9 June, 2019

dhelmly | 9 June, 2019

NoMoICE | 9 June, 2019

Thank you. Our state has NTTA (North Texas Tollway Authority). I think window is the only option.
On my old S they said keep it under the black-out at the base of the windshield.
I thought maybe the new X might be different.
NTTA also said Tesla would have the answer but it's hard to search the site for it?!

d.cherin | 9 June, 2019

I'm in CA.Mounted mine at the top of the windshield in the corner above my head. Very unobtrusive. Works every time on all three Bay Area Bridges.

ratchet | 9 June, 2019

I have used a standard EZ Pass and a Flex Pass (for express Lanes) in my MX. I have it mounted about an inch from the top of the windshield just to the right of the center line. Have never had a problem getting it detected in northern Virginia. Just got back from a trip that took me on part of the PA Turnpike and it worked there as well.

ajdelange | 9 June, 2019

I put it over my head near the center line. It has worked in the Baltimore harbor tunnel, the JFK highway, the Delaware turnpike, the NJ Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway and the NY Thruway.

NoMoICE | 10 June, 2019

Hey!
Thank you all!
Never thought of the mount overhead! Great idea!

Redmiata98 | 10 June, 2019

The best location is specified in the owners guide but not everyone reads it ;-(

mathwhiz | 12 June, 2019

Yessir, page 184.

And, if only more owners would take the time to read it. :~

Redmiata98 | 12 June, 2019

Page 176 on mine. One of us has an outdated manual.

Redmiata98 | 12 June, 2019

Guilty, just updated my pdf file copy with May 16, 2019 version!

lionher | 13 June, 2019

Odd but noticed a crack in my windshield that originated on the same spot as fastrak transponder after very hot 100 degree day. There was no visible or palpable irregularity in the inside or outside of glass. Is it possible that the transponder overheated and caused the crack?

mathwhiz | 13 June, 2019

Nope

Redmiata98 | 14 June, 2019

Doubtful, unless you used epoxy glue to mount it to the windshield. The glass contracts and expands with temperature changes - most epoxy glues do not. That is why you need a special glue for attaching a rear view mirror to the windshield on other vehicles.