Forums

Tesla drivers can play 'Beach Buggy Racing 2' starting today

Tesla drivers can play 'Beach Buggy Racing 2' starting today

In case you did not see it, there is a confirmed new game for the cars.

From Twitter: https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1141043753043386368
Beach Buggy Racing 2 by @vectorunit is starting to roll out to Tesla cars today

I do not know if this is based on a new firmware or something that was there and just gets enabled, I am guessing new firmware. Anyone have 2019.20.2.5? Or maybe there is another one after that?

I will admit, I am concerned about using the steering wheel while parked, won't that just be like sand paper on the tires?

Look forward to trying out, now if my wife will get home with the car....

legna_fo_htaed | 18 June, 2019

I have been so curious about this game since the E3 announcement. Mainly the same concern about the wheels grinding on the ground.
Also weird that in the press conference Elon said at one point you have to be in park to play, then they showed the video where the user was controlling the acceleration using the accelerator pedal in the car, and at the end he mentioned it would probably use the brake pedal so that no one can drive into a wall (or something along those lines).
I'm wondering how it'll actually control. Should be interesting.

charles.a.braun | 18 June, 2019

Will probably be just like Pole Position was. You could steer with the wheel locked using the half inch or so of give in either directions so as to not grind the wheels on the asphalt, use the brake pedal as the accelerator and steering wheel buttons to shift.

legna_fo_htaed | 18 June, 2019

I missed out on pole position :(

Wish it still had that.

xanlythe | 18 June, 2019

It is taking all my willpower to not walk out to the car and play this right now... :)

gmr6415 | 18 June, 2019

When I was in my teen I used to love Night Driver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-7BR9Dl9c

VoltChris | 18 June, 2019

I am so tired of getting games and bullshit like fart humor. where is the Quality of Life improvements like full blue tooth support for audio from our phones. A damn Corollas has better audio support than a TM3 and responds to more voice commands.

It is illegal in many states to use your handheld phone while driving but that is exactly what I must do to change play lists or select only an artist from all the music on my phone. I cannot remember the last I owned in almost ten years that did not have this support

Lonestar10_1999 | 18 June, 2019

@VoltChris- you shouldn’t play the games while driving. But if you have a half hour or more to kill while charging up, why not entertain yourself with the game or any of the other Easter Eggs.

I believe the computer programmers assigned to Easter Eggs are in a different department within Tesla than the computer programmers assigned to the core M3 functionality.

wb808 | 18 June, 2019

Is there a mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front wheels? I thought it’s fully electric? The latter would then allow for a game like that to disengage the steering so as to not move the wheels while playing, with the advantage of providing feedback through the steering wheel for various game effects and whatnot. Otherwise it doesn’t make much sense putting wear and tear on the steering and tires for a silly game.

kaffine | 18 June, 2019

wb808 There is a mechanical link. Required in case of electrical failure for now anyways.

casun | 18 June, 2019

voltchris. life of the party.

3onTheTree | 18 June, 2019

So, um, how can we get it?

akvasset | 22 June, 2019

Is it realese in Norway? I do not see it in my arcade and I just downloaded an update? Does anyone if it is just for US

akvasset | 22 June, 2019

Does anyone knows if it is just for US?

kevin_rf | 22 June, 2019

I don't have it in the US and I'm on 20.2.1

akvasset | 22 June, 2019

Thanks ;) anyone knows something else?

Hugues1965 | 22 June, 2019

Got 20.2.1 in Switzerland friday morning but no game...
Bummer...what else can I do with this car...

batmanasb | 22 June, 2019

Someone needs to try and can confirm that the xbox controller works. It's pretty stupid to be rotating the wheels like that...

bengarlick | 22 June, 2019

I tested it with my usb xbox controller. Controller did not work for Beach Buggy 2 (but my controller 'works' for the other games). The amount of scrubbing on the wheels is pretty minimal. For me the game came with release 2019.20.4.1, just installed an hour ago. No other new features mentioned.

foodking | 22 June, 2019

Just got 2019.20.4.1 and tried out the game. The steering input is really sensitive and only requires a little bit of turning. A message appears at the top of the screen when you've turned the wheel too much. I didn't check to see how much it actually turned the front wheels.

TheMatrix | 23 June, 2019

The input might be minimal, but the sounds my tires make when providing input sounds awful. I won't continue to play Beach Buggy 2 until they provide controller support.

Tropopause | 23 June, 2019

This game is amazing! Played it all day and finished every track, every driver. What other car company can/will do this fun stuff?

Go Tesla!

rxlawdude | 23 June, 2019

@TheMatrix ^^^^ This. The stress on tires and power steering pump is not worth what looks like an otherwise fun game.

Tropopause | 23 June, 2019

I doubt there's stress on the steering pump as it's designed to run non-stop while the car is operating over the million mile lifetime, as is the A/C pump, power brake pump, cooling fans, coolant pumps, etc. If you want to nitpick, then we shouldn't even sit in our cars except for the intent of driving in order to preserve every system.

As for the tires, mine were on the smooth garage concrete at home. IMHO the tires are not incurring any additional wear vs the day-in-day-out usage.

But that's why we have freedom of choice here in the good ol' US of A.

Mach007 | 23 June, 2019

Hmmm... a lot of good points. It would make sense for the power steeri g to be an electric servo and not a hydraulic pump... no wear or stress. Prob not much on tires either, not more than a spirited rotary loop or offramp. Stress on the linkage and bushings is a better concern...
Still would like a better UI for phones... (better than a "corrola") really? Tesla says it's a tech company that builds cars... why is the tech lacking in basic parts?... had to find this out after I paid for the car and taxes... and charging plug... and adapter...

JAD | 23 June, 2019

Tires twist about 13 degrees without moving. I watched and the tire really twists more than grinds during game play. You would need to have a serious video game issue to wear out the tires I think.

avidshopper | 30 June, 2019

I want to protect my tires from wear and tear. Can Tesla disengage the tire movement when using the steering wheel when playing Beach Buggy Racing 2? Will it be too huge a security threat?

lurkerbot | 1 July, 2019

The steering wheel is permanently mechanically connected to the steering linkage that moves the front wheels. It is impossible to unlink the steering wheel without physically unbolting parts. This is true for all Tesla as well as virtually all other vehicles on the road. It's a basic safety issue. No software update can unlink the steering wheel from the steering mechanism. Any wear on the tires caused by moving the steering wheel while stopped will be negligible.

nzar14550 | 24 March, 2020

nice