Forums

Consumer Reports Audi E-Tron first impression

Consumer Reports Audi E-Tron first impression

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/2019-audi-e-tron-first-drive...

I have been accused of being too harsh on CR because it did not give Tesla cars great ratings (they deserve). Take a look at this and what it said of Tesla's cars that are much better and of much better value.it should become obvious to you why I said those things aboud CR. For example the CR's take:
***The E-Tron has an air of maturity that exudes quality, and it’s likely because it comes from an established luxury automaker.***
Does it feel like it came from Audi's ad agency or from Consumer Reports to you?

And its lethargic acceleration now becomes a good thing because it "doesn't lunge off from a stop" like some other EV's do. Huh? How long have you been driving? Don't you even know no EV needs to be lunged off from a stop unless YOU want it to?

And where is the mention of safety recall from the fire danger? Would ever miss the chance if it was a Tesla?

Oh and that ridiculously low efficiency of the E-tron? It's nothing worth mention now because Tesla's lead is too much for others to catch up?

How about charging infrastructure? Irrelevant because Tesla has the great superchargers network out there?

If any CR defenders still don't think how hypocritical and biased CR has becoming this one should convince you.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 22 June, 2019

Shocking that howard and FISHEV are drooling over non-Tesla cars on the Tesla forum. Troll tactics in full effect.

kevin_rf | 22 June, 2019

Well I kinda like the look of the up and coming VW Microbus. Will most certainly kick the tires when it moves beyond the vapor state.

carlk | 22 June, 2019

Be careful if you give personal info to Consumer Reports.
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2018/04/10/485890.htm

It's illegal in Michigan to do that without customer's consent. I have to assume CR is still doing that in states that it's legal. Whether legal or not it is against the consumer privacy principle CR always advocate (for other companies). Just another case of lie and hypocrisy from that once respectable organization.

ALDONY | 22 June, 2019

CR is based desperate for attention, the reviews are absolutely based on nonsense. they are losing credibility, customers, you name it.

most YOUTUBERS are the reviewers of the future that actually OWN the products, drove thousands of miles, and are honest without a hidden agenda

FISHEV | 22 June, 2019

"In review, Consumer Reports typically does not report on politics. All articles/reviews are low biased without use of loaded words. Further, all information is properly sourced. Overall, Consumer Reports is Least Biased and High for factual reporting."

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/consumer-reports/

There it is, folks. King shit of turd mountain is back to show us conclusive evidence that CR is all that and a bag of chips.
Thanks FISHEV!

carlk | 22 June, 2019

@ALDONY "most YOUTUBERS are the reviewers of the future that actually OWN the products, drove thousands of miles, and are honest without a hidden agenda"

Yes and for more common products Amazon customer review is vastly superior in quality (from real user experiences) and quantity than what CR could ever do. People, other than old timers who are not proficient in surfing the internet, all know where to go for better product information. CR has the existential problem and is doing everything now for financial reasons. It's another lie that being a non-profit makes it any more honest. Everyone in the organization knows where money they need to buy food for family and send kids to school need to come from.

Just a side note some of Amazon products, especially many from oversea Chinese sellers, have many fake reviews. Amazon is filtering them out and sites like fakespot.com and reviewmeta.com could help you identify trustworthiness of those ratings. Always use those sites before making purchasing decisions.

FISHEV | 22 June, 2019

"The Flourishing Business of Fake YouTube Views"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/11/technology/youtube-fake-v...

NY Times, hardly a trusted media source. Laughable.

carlk | 22 June, 2019

That residential idiot on this thread could not even distinguish "view" and "review". Lolol.....

thedrisin | 22 June, 2019

"Just a side note some of Amazon products, especially many from oversea Chinese sellers, have many fake reviews. Amazon is filtering them out..."

I don't know how much Amazon really cares to filter them out. They have many counterfeit Chinese knock-off products sold on their website.

carlk | 22 June, 2019

I meant Amazon is filtering out fake reviews not necessarily counterfeit sellers. Unfortunately most people do not care if a product is counterfeit either. Reliable reviews at least could let people to avoid those low quality stuff.

tucsonsims | 25 June, 2019

"étron in French is turd or excrement."

Turd Ferguson?

vmulla | 25 June, 2019

Skipped all the replies.
I'll go try it when it's available for test drives.
As a customer who is eagerly waiting for the Y, I should do my part and check out all my options.

finman100 | 25 June, 2019

make sure you drive farther than 200 miles. THAT, right there, is why NO ONE is "competing" with Tesla.

Huh, imagine that, wanting to drive your EV all over the place, like you did with the oil-burner.

Superchargers, man. Superchargers.

Just wait for non-tesla EV drivers to discover the truth. Oh, wait, it's happening...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/business/energy-environment/electric-...

what. a. joke.

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

"make sure you drive farther than 200 miles. THAT, right there, is why NO ONE is "competing" with Tesla."

Your blinker is on.

Kona 248
Niro 235
Mercedes EQC 240
Audi eTron 204
Leaf 215
Jaguar 220

Maxxer | 25 June, 2019

Audi could have made a shitbox and Audi loyalist would buy them anyway. Whatever the range is going to be.

HighlandPony | 25 June, 2019

The Audi gets picked off by the 215 miles Leaf to wind up in last place on the short list of “Not a Tesla” high range EV’s. Priceless...

vmulla | 25 June, 2019

I reserved the Model 3 unseen, along with 150K others (maybe it was 200K others).
For all of Audi's legacy and reputation - I'm not convinced enough to put down a deposit for it. Oh, I'm also a very happy Leaf owner too - just sharing to show Ithat I'm not averse to other kinds of EVs.

I'd say, let's actually see the thing before we dismiss it.

Sure, Tesla has a definite Supercharger advantage now, but that's not going to be there forever. Other EVs trying to catch up is in line with the mission - so, Yay!!

Let's see what this thing is first - fair?

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

"Other EVs trying to catch up is in line with the mission - so, Yay!!

No kidding.

The amusing part of this thread is that the author posted it as an attack on Consumers and Audi but it ends up promoting the Audi e-Tron on the Tesla owner's forum and by getting people to read the positive Consumer's Report on the Audi e-Tron.

calvin940 | 25 June, 2019

ha ha ha.. nice ditch of the MB thread after the fraud shenanigans to now try and come back here to spin more yarns..

nice.

vmulla | 25 June, 2019

@FishEV,
Yup, I see Audi trying to play catch up as a good thing.
I'll celebrate with you when the etron is a thing. I'll compare the etron against other cars that are available for a test drive at that time.
Unlike a few others, I cannot dislike something that's just not there for me to experience.

I had an A4, I loved it when I had it. If someone can build a car that beats Teslas, I'll go pick it up - why not?

But right now, it's Tesla's dominance to loose. Let's have this discussion when we can try an etron.

BTW, what car do you think etron compares best against? - even if it's only on paper?

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

I get to drive an e-Tron in July as friends purchased one, despite my driving them around for a week in a S and X. Be fun to compare.

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

"BTW, what car do you think etron compares best against? - even if it's only on paper?"

I'd say Jaguar iPace and Mercedes EQC are all mutual competitors, true luxury brands with large customer base. They all bump into MX space and the MX has the burden of the Falcon wings.

vmulla | 25 June, 2019

@FishEV,

July 2019? Where are your friends? The USA?

I'm excited at the info you will share. What are the factors that are important to you when comparing cars? It's helpful to set a baseline for comparison - otherwise, emotions might overcome rationality.

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

"What are the factors that are important to you when comparing cars?"

1. Safety. Safety tech has to be seamless and functional. Has to get good rating from www.iihs.org actual crash tests. Autobraking, Dynamic cruise, blind side indicators, cross track warnings, lane keeping are the basics.

2. Well built. No issues with the car even if its covered by warranty.

3. Tech application, functional and elegant. Audi's Virtual Pilot is my favorite but haven't seen Mercedes or other versions.

4. Ride and interior design.

5. Practical stuff like hatchback, towing, seating, entry.

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

With EV specific stuff, range and DC charging.

And these are gas people's first EV so their reaction to it.

vmulla | 25 June, 2019

@FishEV,
I drove my MX all the way south to Key West FL, and as far up North as Providence RI -- Right this moment I don't feel confident I can pick any other EV to do those drives --- so yes the Tesla has an unfair advantage. I did not take my MS or M3 quite as far (yet).

But here's the thing, I just requested a test drive for an i-pace. I'm excited to try it out soon, the dealership should be contacting me soon. The first thing I'll tell the dealer is 'I'm just checking' let's see how that goes.

I'll report on ipace vs MX from a Nissan Leaf owner point of view - Sounds good? just to even out the inherent advantages Tesla has.

vmulla | 25 June, 2019

@FishEV,
That' s a good list. Now, I'll trust you to be objective when comparing the Etron vs MX/MS/MY (yup MY too)

You said Audi's Virtual pilot is your favorite, where can I experience it? I'm all about Autopilot, but that's because it was the best tech I could buy - I'm not a Tesla fanatic, I'm eager to try other options. Based on your recommendation, I might request for one more test drive from a dealership tonight.

FISHEV | 25 June, 2019

"I drove my MX all the way south to Key West FL, and as far up North as Providence RI -- Right this moment I don't feel confident I can pick any other EV to do those drives -

Totally agree. Tesla was really my only choice right now due to 24,000 average and no home charging. I was looking a used X so I could tow the boat but just couldn't afford it. I had used the EVTrip Planner to make sure the X could tow the boat (5,000#) from home to SuperCharger at the shore.

I'm not big on the "test drives". I rented S, 3 and X via Turo and drove them for 10 days total. Took the Model 3 on a run up to Mt. Hood and back skiing as that is a key run for me.

RedShift | 25 June, 2019

@FISHEV

“that was in the shop as much as on the road and needed to be repaired every couple weeks with debugged software.”

You bullshitter! I have owned an s for 6.5 years and a 3 for 0.5. The reliability isn’t anywhere close to the doom and gloom you spew here.

CR’s ratings notwithstanding.

Audi’s weren’t the most reliable earlier, as you yourself pointed out. The 3 has been pretty bulletproof.

I think you should get a life instead of knee jerk calling everyone here a fanboi.

If you love the E tron, buy it, go knock yourself out. Don’t hang around spewing bullshit.

carlk | 25 June, 2019

NYT recently published a hit piece on electrical vehicles. It concluded driving an EV for a relatively long distance from LA to Vegas is both time consuming and inconvenient. Although as many have pointed out it seemed deliberately picked the 238 mile range Bolt instead of 300+ miles range Tesla with many superchargers along the way (that you probably don't even need) just to give EV a bad name.

E-Tron is even worse than the Bolt.

RedShift | 25 June, 2019

Following up on FISHEV posts further:

Without long distance DCFC charging network, buying any of these dilettantes from Audi of MBZ is wasting money in my opinion. Their coach work may be great, but that’s about it. (BTW, I was a diehard BMW fanboi before switching to Tesla, so I know German cars and their legendary coach work as well as their handling prowess) Simplicity? No. Range? No. Acceleration? No. Long distance traveling with very wide DCFC network? No. Price? Comparable.

Well, what the hell do I buy these for? Seriously? A badge? Reliability? Well now, how long has the e-tron been out to gauge reliability? What about the MBZ? Not out yet.

Who’s the real fanboi here?

Madatgascar | 25 June, 2019

@Redshift, you forgot: Cargo capacity? No. Towing capacity? No.

rxlawdude | 25 June, 2019

@vmulla, the others' DCFC systems have not been deployed at their maximum Wattage, let alone deployed geographically anything like Tesla's (still needing improvements) Superchargers.

So, I predict when those chargers get cranked up and these new vehicles charge at that rate, there will be a lot of unhappy non-Tesla BEV users when they find its impact on battery life.

finman100 | 26 June, 2019

See, the thing is, more CRAPPY EVs is not the mission.

The many shortcomings of the non-Tesla flavors out there will sour others to an EV experience that is second to none with the Supercharger network.

Who here has traveled cross-country (US based) in a non-Tesla EV at anywhere near the speed and ease of a
Tesla? show of hands please. anyone? Bueller?

When do you suppose that might happen? hhmmmmmm, i wonder.

I'm thinking for 80 grand, people might want a more premium experience than a stop at WallyWorld for 50-100 kW "fast" charging. The market is showing how that is working...

I'd LOVE to see an actual gasser mfg get an EV out there that is better than a 2012 Model S. so far

finman100 | 26 June, 2019

had to look that one up! nice.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dilettantes

and the last of my post should have said "crickets" at the end. so far, crickets.

I'm waiting for real people who purchase these non-Tesla EVs to try a road trip and get back to us. I'm sure it'll be "enlightening". oh, wait, it's already eye-opening and documented. see the interwebs for the stories of how "easy" (not) it is to travel without a WorldWide network of fast charging that just works. plug-in, charge, then go.

The 3rd-party systems are doomed to always be more of a hassle.

vmulla | 26 June, 2019

@rxlawdude,
Let me put it this way - with me, the burden is on the other companies to convince me away from Teslas.

That said, I will consider other cars. I'm a very happy Nissan Leaf owner, but that's because I use the Leaf in-town, and use Teslas for the road trips. Would I like 2 Teslas? Yes. Do I need 2 Teslas? No.

carlk | 26 June, 2019

Leaf is still a lot more affordable than the Model 3. E-Tron is not. That argument does not stand in this case, It's all that better if both of your cars could drive long distance long as you could afford to.

Talk about cricket did anyone notice everyone of those cars, from Bolt to I-Pace to E-Tron to Taycan was targeting 20,000 per year production number? That seems to be the magic number at this moment. Not too large to be significant, or costly, and not too small to be an embarrassment.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"“that was in the shop as much as on the road and needed to be repaired every couple weeks with debugged software.”

Don't see where I said that in this thread, I searched for "debugged software" and it only shows in your "quote". One of my coworkers was an early adopter with an S and he did have exactly that experience though I think he had a lot of mechanical issues also. He loved the car. Thought Tesla service was great. But just got tired of it, not an EV crusader so he got a Jaguar F-Pace. Very plush, if the Jaguar i-Pace is like that with 220 mile range, be more appealing to me than the Audi at 204 but Audi Virtual Pilot is still the gold standard in screen dashes and controls.

This is thread is the longest running Audi commercial evah! Not the OP's intent so a bit amusing.

This and the Mercedes posts etc. should really be in General vs. on the Model 3 forum. Audi e-Tron and Mercedes EQC are more Model X competitors than Model 3.

calvin940 | 26 June, 2019

"This is thread is the longest running Audi commercial evah! Not the OP's intent so a bit amusing."

You keep saying that , but this thread is identifying all the shortcomings and the general misunderstandings and misconceptions about what makes a good EV.

@finman100

"See, the thing is, more CRAPPY EVs is not the mission.

The many shortcomings of the non-Tesla flavors out there will sour others to an EV experience that is second to none with the Supercharger network."

Exactly and on point with that statement is the recent New York times article that talked about 8 hours driving 5 hours charging because they didn't pick the best EV out there for their anchor but rather picked a bolt. Right off the bat, the article isn't representing the best of EV, it is the worst.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"You keep saying that , but this thread is identifying all the shortcomings and the general misunderstandings and misconceptions about what makes a good EV."

Well all the shortcomings folks who have never seen on driven the car can imagine anyway.

But it posts the Consumer Reports First Look which is very positive and what people see first. So many of the are content free and sophomoric that anyone thinking of a e-Tron would not pay them much mind vs. the trusted Consumer Reports...which said Tesla Model S was the best car they ever tested.

"The Tesla Model S rewrites the rulebook for cars. It's is a different kind of car from a different kind of planet. That planet is Silicon Valley, where this startup automaker is based. The fully electric Model S is a remarkable car that combines performance, agility, styling, high-tech, no emissions and low operating costs. It's one of the best cars we've ever tested."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/tesla/model-s/2018/road-test/

All the CR critics tell us we have to ignore that because CR can't be trusted.

calvin940 | 26 June, 2019

In their first look, they purposely left out negative aspects of the e-tron like the fire hazard recall among things... Items of similar nature they chose to put in their first review of Model 3.

"While it is understandable for the organization to not include more details about the e-tron, it is quite interesting to see no mention of the challenges that Audi has and is reportedly facing in bringing the vehicle to market. Currently, reports from reservation holders in Norway have indicated that e-tron deliveries are still delayed, and all units that have been sold so far are presently being recalled due to a fire risk. These details were missing in Consumer Reports‘ initial review."

"It should be noted that unlike the e-tron, Consumer Reports‘ first impressions review of the Model 3 included notable sections on the vehicle’s points for improvement, particularly in terms of references to Tesla’s then-ongoing production issues. “Hype has surrounded this car since Tesla CEO Elon Musk first announced it about two years ago, with hundreds of thousands of shoppers placing $1,000 deposits within days. But many of those prospective buyers have had their patience tried, since the Model 3 rollout has been plagued by Tesla’s production headaches and delays,” the organization wrote in its first impressions review last year."

So you have a clear omission/bias to not talking about similar negative things for e-tron as pointed out. So my issue is with consistency and bias of reporting. So the best kinds of bias you can give are the subtle ones you choose to highlight in one, but omit in another to present an uneven picture.

Since you can't see that CR has agendas or bias, that strategy has clearly worked on your as it has others.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

OK...I guess the Model S wasn't the best car CR tested then.

But I'm sure Audi is laughing that their longest running commercial with CR's trusted and positive review is leading topic on Tesla's official forum.

RedShift | 26 June, 2019

@ FISHEV

“This is thread is the longest running Audi commercial evah”

Thanks to you!

No matter how much you want to pump that balloon, truth will come out soon! :-)

Audi, with decades of experience can produce something that’s below par (no retorts from you there, unsurprisingly) says the commitment Audi has here.

Continue your hot air experiment. I’d suggest gently to go to the Audi forums, but each to his own.

:-)

Lonestar10_1999 | 26 June, 2019

Elon’s vision is not to be the sole supplier of EV, but instead to make EV mainstream, with many manufacturers producing EV. Certainly Tesla has the edge with mature products in high demand. But the competition will eventually learn what people want and don’t want in EV and design their cars accordingly.

The infrastructure for recharging is still in its infancy but Tesla is the undisputed leader. If federal funding for manufacturer agnostic recharging gets enacted, that could be a game changer for EV adoption, benefiting Tesla and the competition. I see government involvement as a crucial ingredient to widespread EV adoption.

RedShift | 26 June, 2019

@FISHEV

“Couldn’t find the quote anywhere”

Perhaps if you weren’t busy spewing so much BS around, you’d notice your own gems such as these:

——————————

FISHEV | June 21, 2019
“What if someone went out bought an E-Tron without considering the Tesla because of those CR articles and only found it out months later?”

A better question is what if someone went out and bought a Model S when CR called it the best car they ever tested and then found out they were driving an experiment that was in the shop as much as on the road and needed to be repaired every couple weeks with debugged software.

————————————

Seanderson | 26 June, 2019

Remember: E-Tron (i.e. étron) means "turd" in French. Hence, I don't believe this car will sell well in any French speaking country-- between it's name and lackluster performance and range between charging.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"No matter how much you want to pump that balloon, truth will come out soon!"

Not my balloon and you are pumping as well.

"Truth will come out"...What???!! You mean the lamentations of the Teslerites (apologies to Conan) about how terrible the car they never seen or driven is not THE TRUTH?

RedShift | 26 June, 2019

@FISHEV

“Not my balloon and you are pumping as well.”

Disconnected from reality, are we.

I poked a half a dozen holes in your balloon a few posts back. Go check them out, get out your sticky tape. Even then it might not help.

Pages