Forums

Consumer Reports Audi E-Tron first impression

Consumer Reports Audi E-Tron first impression

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/2019-audi-e-tron-first-drive...

I have been accused of being too harsh on CR because it did not give Tesla cars great ratings (they deserve). Take a look at this and what it said of Tesla's cars that are much better and of much better value.it should become obvious to you why I said those things aboud CR. For example the CR's take:
***The E-Tron has an air of maturity that exudes quality, and it’s likely because it comes from an established luxury automaker.***
Does it feel like it came from Audi's ad agency or from Consumer Reports to you?

And its lethargic acceleration now becomes a good thing because it "doesn't lunge off from a stop" like some other EV's do. Huh? How long have you been driving? Don't you even know no EV needs to be lunged off from a stop unless YOU want it to?

And where is the mention of safety recall from the fire danger? Would ever miss the chance if it was a Tesla?

Oh and that ridiculously low efficiency of the E-tron? It's nothing worth mention now because Tesla's lead is too much for others to catch up?

How about charging infrastructure? Irrelevant because Tesla has the great superchargers network out there?

If any CR defenders still don't think how hypocritical and biased CR has becoming this one should convince you.

Joshan | 26 June, 2019

Poor Fish is getting owned and shown for the fool he is...

RedShift | 26 June, 2019

And you keep your broken record about not having driven the car.

Normally, I say that to others critiquing a car, in general.

However this is different. Here’s why:

Driving it won’t make its range go up.
Won’t make the UI simple.
Won’t make it accelerate faster.
Won’t magically produce a vast and convenient DCFC network for long distance travel.
Won’t make the price drop to where I really think it should be, given the above.

Give it up. Go somewhere else to advertise on Audi’s behalf.

Fanboi.

:/)

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"I poked a half a dozen holes in your balloon a few posts back."

I'm sure you have but I then I admit I haven't seen or driven the e-Tron. Other than it will have Virtual Pilot which is way better presentation than Tesla's. I have driven friends Q7 and A6 and it is a cool system.

In talking to Audi and Mercedes execs on the range issue, 204 and 220 respectively for the e-Tron and EQC, they think for their long time luxury market customers, home charging is a given and multiple car families a given so the owners will not have range issues while getting the Audi/Merc lux and expensive car status they are used to.

jimglas | 26 June, 2019

if their customers want to pay more for an inferior vehicle, that is their right

Joshan | 26 June, 2019

"In talking to Audi and Mercedes execs on the range issue,"

You talk to execs at Audi and Mercedes? uh... ok

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"if their customers want to pay more for an inferior vehicle"

Well...less actually...the Mercedes EQC and Audi e-Tron are less than comparable Tesla X which is the real comparison...not sure why this was posted on Model 3 forum.

Joshan | 26 June, 2019

just keep digging fish, that hole is getting deeper and deeper.

jimglas | 26 June, 2019

The SR+ is a superior car for $39k

Lonestar10_1999 | 26 June, 2019

$39.9k but who’s counting

Joshan | 26 June, 2019

well for that extra 900 the Audi is clearly better. /s

jimglas | 26 June, 2019

slower, less safe with less range
Clearly better

RedShift | 26 June, 2019

@FISHEV

“I'm sure you have but I then I admit I haven't seen or driven the e-Tron. Other than it will have Virtual Pilot which is way better presentation than Tesla's. I have driven friends Q7 and A6 and it is a cool system.”

Yes, Audis are famous for their luxurious interiors, quiet and comfortable drive, and even drive ability, despite starting from a FWD platform repurposed for AWD. They did a couple of things like shoving the engine backwards and mount it longitudinal. I recognize those as genuine efforts to alleviate the FWD architecture.

However, that’s all ICE world. This is different. This electric game is all about making things iPhone simple (some may argue it makes it more complex, but that’s another story), be very efficient, go the long distance, and be self driving ready.

Audi cannot simply switch to emulate Tesla blindly. Then it will be called a me-too. So they must maintain part of their heritage and still offer something compelling.

With e-tron, they have not done that. They only succeeded in getting the heritage part right. Rest of the value prop is really not a value prop, but a liability.

Will they get a few customers? Of course. There will be enough who will not mind the short range and lack of long distance travel. There are enough people who hate Tesla for whatever reason. Hate Musk personally. Or believe that CR can actually rate cars (cough cough, never ever been a fan of CR, before Tesla or now).

I need to see a genuine effort. I will doff my hat and even jump ship when that happens.

vmulla | 26 June, 2019

Folks,
Here's FishEV in his own words. I think his words are the best endorsement of Tesla in this thread, and that he's a closet fan :)

FISHEV | June 25, 2019
"I drove my MX all the way south to Key West FL, and as far up North as Providence RI -- Right this moment I don't feel confident I can pick any other EV to do those drives -

Totally agree. Tesla was really my only choice right now due to 24,000 average and no home charging. I was looking a used X so I could tow the boat but just couldn't afford it. I had used the EVTrip Planner to make sure the X could tow the boat (5,000#) from home to SuperCharger at the shore.

I'm not big on the "test drives". I rented S, 3 and X via Turo and drove them for 10 days total. Took the Model 3 on a run up to Mt. Hood and back skiing as that is a key run for me.

TeslaTap.com | 26 June, 2019

Nothing against Audi (used to own one), but not sure how Virtual Pilot/Traffic Jam assist, that is limited to 37 mph is anyway close to Tesla AP. I expect they will figure out improvements someday. Unlikely Audi will ever go back to cars already sold and improve it. Sounds like the standard dealer approach - if you want the new 2025 feature in your 2024 model, we'd be happy to sell you a new 2025 car. I'm sure they would love to sell you a new car every year. Meanwhile, Tesla keeps getting better - even old Teslas, without having to pay a dime.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"FISHEV | June 25, 2019
"I drove my MX all the way south to Key West FL, and as far up North as Providence RI -- Right this moment I don't feel confident I can pick any other EV to do those drives -"

Uh...nope not me you are quoting. Haven't been to Key West in decades.

Rest is mine so a bit confusing. A "fan"...is almost derogatory term based on the owner behavior here, cursing, personal insults, deletions of other's posts.

Suffice that I purchased a Model 3. Was one of the original depositors in 2016. Almost three years to the day from when I put my $1,000 deposit and actually purchased.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"Nothing against Audi (used to own one), but not sure how Virtual Pilot/Traffic Jam assist, that is limited to 37 mph is anyway close to Tesla AP."

No different than AP there. AP says 35 mph but you it works in stop and go traffic as does Audi dynamic cruise.

Tesla has no cross track warning and non-working blind side indicator so Tesla has some catch up to do vs. Subaru, Audi, Mercedes et al. And dynamic cruise is squirrelly not nearly as smooth and intelligent as Subaru's Eyesight on the basics. If Tesla lags in those basics, can't see how its Full Self Driving is viable. Glad I didn't purchase it.

vmulla | 26 June, 2019

@FishEV,
scroll back, buddy - you'll understand.

Anyway, what's the story with you? You're a 3 owner, but you are hoping other EV makers can catch up?

calvin940 | 26 June, 2019

FISH,

You don't even seem to recall your own posts or you have a split personality.

Vmulla had said that about his/her trip to Key West. You quoted that post and followed up with total agreement.

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"You're a 3 owner, but you are hoping other EV makers can catch up?"

So are Musk and Tesla, it's the Tesla mission. Putting money to mouth with solar powered home and EV.

If the Kona were available and it worked quickly on the EVgo fast DC chargers which sit empty a few blocks away, I'd probably have gotten that for the hatchback, high ground clearance, Apply CarPlay, small size, working blind side, working cross track warning. Safer, more utility, smaller.

But Tesla is US made and that's a big factor and struggling. Strategic purchase to get Tesla profitable in Q2 after disaster Q1. Sacrifice to buy an American made product, pretty much the way it's been for the last 50 years.

jimglas | 26 June, 2019

fish is a troll
here to tell us the virtues of Audi
Slower, less safe, more expensive and less rang

FISHEV | 26 June, 2019

"here to tell us the virtues of Audi"

That would be your friend @carlk who posted a great first review of the Audi e-Tron by well respected Consumer Reports and with the help of the Teslerites, managed to make it the top free advertising for Audi e-Tron in the world.

"Slower, less safe, more expensive and less range"

Audi Q5 (similar to e-Tron) beats Tesla S in full safety test.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/audi/q5-4-door-suv/2019
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/tesla/model-s-4-door-hatchback/2017

Bighorn | 26 June, 2019

Tesla crushes Audi in NHTSA crash testing. The standard.

jimglas | 27 June, 2019

fish is an audi troll

carlk | 27 June, 2019

fish is an anti-Tesla troll.

Magic 8 Ball | 27 June, 2019

FISHEV suffers from irreversible brain melt.

Drugs are bad.

jimglas | 27 June, 2019

some drugs are bad

carlk | 27 June, 2019

It's not necessarily drugs. Some brains are just born that way.

leo33 | 27 June, 2019

Also some are paid to be that way.

Bighorn | 27 June, 2019

Sorry, but no Audi that I’m aware of has 5 stars across all NHTSA tests whereas every Tesla does. No contest. Would definitely not want to be in a top heavy Q5 with sub-par rollover statistics.

Bighorn | 27 June, 2019

NHTSA is gold standard and Tesla rules the roost. Unprecedented safety. Unparalleled.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 27 June, 2019

Smells like rotting fish in here. Someone open a window.

TeslaTap.com | 27 June, 2019

Comparing a sedan to a SUV doesn't make a lot of sense or tests on different years, as usually (but not always) newer is better as far as safety.

Tesla X, 2019: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/TESLA/MODEL%252520X%252520P90D/SUV/AW...
In 10 different crash tests, Tesla gets a perfect score 5 out of 5 on every test.

Audi Q7: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/AUDI/Q7#safety-ratings-frontal
In 9 crash tests, 5 tests are 5 star, and 4 crash tests are 4 out of 5. Better than most SUVs, but clearly not in Tesla's class.

The small Audi Q5, which is not in the same class as the X/Q7 does better: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/AUDI/Q5/SUV/AWD#safety-ratings-rollover
In 9 crash tests, 8 gets 5 stars, and 1 gets 4 stars out of 5 (rollover).

Of course both the Audi's are gas cars and have other risks from engine fires, gas tank ruptures, etc. It will likely take another year to see crash results on the eTron, which I would hope would do better than the Q7/Q5.

For sedans, the Audi A8 and maybe the A7 is comparable to the Model S, but they have not been crash tested at NHTSA. A6 is not in the same class - far smaller and similar to the Model 3. Both the A6 (2018) and Model 3 (2019) get perfect scores (5 out of 5).

Still in a crash I'd rather be in the Tesla far more than the Audi, even when the ratings are the same. Too bad testing stops at "5", as it appears Tesla would exceed the existing "5" threshold in multiple categories.

Should be ...In 9 different crash tests... (for all vehicles tested)

calvin940 | 27 June, 2019

@TeslaTap.com

What the hell are you doing comparing Apples to Apples?? And even using the safety metrics from the US government traffic safety administration!

It just makes others look silly!

TeslaMarque | 27 June, 2019

Why I think the Roadster will be such an important car, is if it can provide absolutely dominating performance figures that it claims, 0-60 in 1.8S, this will prove that electric cars are the best as far as performance. 3 seconds is about as fast as any ICE is capable of accelerating, especially if we are taking less than $500,000. If Tesla can prove this, they will at minimum set the electric engine up for all professional auto racing, anyone into high performance will always want the best. Even if Tesla folds someday, the electric engine is the way of the future. There is no way technology will progress towards something w less potential performance. And things tend to flow downwards as far as technology goes.

If Tesla can deliver the specs of the 2020 Roadster, the future of high performance vehicles will be electric, period.

TeslaMarque | 27 June, 2019

Electric Motor*

I'm of the belief that every new EV (Audi/Porsche/Jaguar, etc.) that comes to market will boost Tesla's sales. Sadly, I find few people understand or even know an EV is a suitable/better option than an ICE car. Having more companies promote EVs is great for the entire EV industry. More people buying EV means more comparaison shopping and they may find Tesla a better choice than the others. Some may choose a non-Tesla EV, which is also good - they could well become a Tesla customer later on when they discover the limitations of the non-Tesla EV (range, charging, safety, etc.).

The fact that every new EV is compared immediately with Tesla is also a good thing. Tesla provides a high standard that so far few have been able to meet. Also Tesla can't do it all. There are still open categories ripe for domination - trucks, vans, sub-compacts, small SUVs come to mind. Tesla will fill some of these categories, but likely not all.

Lonestar10_1999 | 27 June, 2019

@TeslaTap - those are Elon’s sentiments exactly.

Madatgascar | 27 June, 2019

Sillies. Etron isn’t designed to compete with the 3 or the X. It’s designed to not compete with the Q8. How are dealers supposed to sell the flagship SUV if the EV cousin is faster, safer, less expensive, cheaper to own, and has more cargo capacity? It’s a masterpiece of nerfology.

casun | 27 June, 2019

fishev is always wrong.

calvin940 | 27 June, 2019

"fishev is always wrong"

and now spamming same links and stuff multiple times in the same thread.

vmulla | 27 June, 2019

@FishEV,
On a scale of 1-10 how much of a Tesla fan are you?

carlk | 27 June, 2019

Thanks to fish for keep reviving my thread so more people will realize that
1. Consumer Reports has a strong anti-Tesla bias and worthless as a consumer magazine goes,
2. E-Tron is an inferior EV in comparison, and
3. fish is everything said of CR but just worse.

OK that's reverse psychology. Don't let it to stop what you're doing.

FISHEV | 27 June, 2019

"On a scale of 1-10 how much of a Tesla fan are you?"

I'm not a fan. I'm an owner.

But this is @carlk's ode to Audi so lets stay on topic. A great looking car inside and out.

https://imgur.com/EBT39jO
https://imgur.com/8sG4Pvd

vmulla | 27 June, 2019

Ok. I'll try another time.

@FishEV,
On a 1-10 scale of owner satisfaction, how satisfied are you with your Model 3?

carlk | 27 June, 2019

Nothing interesting about that. SUV is the hottest selling vehicle at this moment. What is interesting is they both plan to only sell about 1/10th of what Tesla will sell for the Model 3. What could be wrong with those cars?

vmulla | 27 June, 2019

@FishEV,
It really doesn't seem to matter which thread were on, it's the same talking points from you :)
But ok, I'll relent.

I suspect you're a very satisfied owner who's pranking others, that's all.

howard | 27 June, 2019

TeslaTap.com

Having more companies promote EVs is great for the entire EV industry. AGREED

More people buying EV means more comparaison shopping and they may find Tesla a better choice than the others. Some may choose a non-Tesla EV, which is also good - they could well become a Tesla customer later on when they discover the limitations of the non-Tesla EV (range, charging, safety, etc.).

NOT SO MUCH.

There are some who buy Tesla and are not blinded by the hype and buy another brand instead of another Tesla.

Nexxus | 2 July, 2019

From CR: " On the other hand, its appearance doesn’t scream “I’m electric” the way that Teslas do."

And how exactly do Teslas scream they're electric? They were built from the ground up to be electric, but nothing about the body style would lead you to believe they were all electric if you didn't already know it. Typical CR bullshit.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2 July, 2019

Oh, this thread again? Consumer Reports is painful toilet paper. I don’t like using it.

Pages