Forums

Tire Blowout

Tire Blowout

So, as we all know, there is no spare tire on this model. What is the process when the unthinkable happens and we get a blowout. Do we just use the text message window on our Tesla app and wait by the highway for a return message? That seems a bit clunky.

casun | 14 July, 2019

call roadside assistance.

is this a trick question?

TeslaTap.com | 14 July, 2019

@casun nailed it (pun intended)!

No blowout in 6+ years of Teslas so far! Tires have gotten a lot better in the last 10 years, and about 40% of all new cars do not include a spare. A spare wastes cargo space, reduces range and the rubber in a spare tire goes bad in 6 years or so. Few owners of premium cars want to bother changing a tire. Easier to just call roadside assistance.

Bighorn | 14 July, 2019

Blowouts are extremely rare in the age of TPMS. Large metal and cavernous potholes being the exception. Same as any car. Get a lift to a tire place. Tesla has roving tire repair guys in a few markets.

Lonestar10_1999 | 14 July, 2019

It would be cool if there was a “donut “ tire that could be stowed in the frunk or the deep section of the trunk along with a simple lug wrench and scissor jack. Some tire blowouts will not allow inflation even with the Tesla roadside emergency kit.

Compact spares have been deployed in new cars for decades. They are a good compromise between a full size spare and no spare at all. If implemented, the Tesla drive train would need to cope with the difference in tire size.

ODWms | 14 July, 2019

I have had a compact, inflatable spare in each of my Mercedes Benzes over the years. I’ve had occasion to use them maybe a total of 4 times. If the option were available in our Tesla cars, I’d be happy to spring for it.

terminator9 | 14 July, 2019

Same as the other cars that don't come with a spare.

rjriker | 14 July, 2019

I was at a car show this last weekend and someone asked me about the spare tire. I told him that there was none, and I have over 60 years of driving over 400,000 miles with no on road blowouts or flat tires. If I were to take a trip across the Sahara Desert all alone, I would buy a used tire and rim and throw it in the trunk. That is not on my plans.

gmartinez84 | 15 July, 2019

I had a tire blowout recently. PSI went from 45 to 20 quickly and my car alerted me. I was on autopilot and had no issues. I was able to safely pull over and call roadside assistance. It was memorial day weekend, so the tow trucks were busy. They told me to leave my car and they would handle the rest. I had a friend pick me since I was being cheap and didn't call an Uber. Got a call from the service center an hour later telling me I needed a new tire since I had sidewalk damage. After work I caught an Uber to the service center to pick up the car, overall a smooth process. I did purchase the tire repair kit for the future in case I have a smaller tore issue.

gballant4570 | 15 July, 2019

I've recently been reading about non-inflated tire developments. Soon our tires will not require interior pressure, and we will be able to toss our tire kits out.
This is my second car without a spare. To this point it has not posed a problem. I do keep good rubber on a vehicle, and am likely a routine supplier of inventory on used tire racks....

Bighorn | 15 July, 2019

@gballant
I had read that that tech was limited to pricey industrial tires that are prone to damage and that it wouldn’t be cost effective in passenger cars because flats only occur every 70 k miles and replacements are significantly cheaper.

Bighorn, if it works in the industrial tire applications I expect it may well spread. Especially if there is a waste stream reduction due to increased tire lifespan. The OEM tires on my Model 3 have turned out to require replacement at around the 14k mile point. If I could consider replacement tires that did not require internal pressure, and therefore had an increased life expectancy, I would pay more for them.
Of course the OEM tires are advertised with a far greater expected life expectancy..... if those claims were mever true, most cars would only go through 3-4 sets of tires in their useful lives. I have never seen any of them live up to those claims - If I recall the most I've seen is about 25k miles. But I don't drive them on their last mile.

Anyhow, if the tech is successful I would expect it to spread beyond initial applications.....or at least I'm hoping.

Bighorn | 15 July, 2019

@gballant
Tire longevity is highly variable. My Model S has had tires that were corded at 12k miles while others got changed out with usable tread due to a pothole at 58k miles. If you’re willing to be unconventional, consider running Michelin X-Ice year-round. Tremendous wear and good summer traction.

Bighorn | 15 July, 2019

Airless sounds significantly more likely than a year or two ago.

carlk | 15 July, 2019

Roadside service in some areas carry loaner tires that they will put on your car so you can continue to use the car. I have used it once. The mobile service later came to my work place and put the tire back on when it's fixed.

mknewman | 15 July, 2019

I hit a piece of metal and thought I got away with it, but about 20 miles down the road a big Tire Pressure Warning came on. It was down to 25 lbs. I pulled off and called Tesla. It was a Saturday afternoon and they didn't think they could get me a spare before closing. I was about 15 miles from the closest service center. I limped over to a station and aired up to 45 lbs. I made it about 5 miles before having to do it again. Total 4 stops for 15 miles, I made it at 2:30 and they closed at 3. The new tire on my Model 3 was $375 (I have the 19" wheels) and they had it in stock, replaced, balanced, and washed and vacuumed my car before 3pm.

Note, they are no longer open on the weekend so you might have to get an aftermarket tire place to do it for you if you are in my situation.

ozonelives | 15 July, 2019

Blew the left rear tire on my MP3 on a city street in Daly City coming back from a late afternoon soccer tournament match. I was able to pull into a small grocery store parking lot and called roadside assistance. Tesla sent out a truck with a replacement tire 19" instead of 20". The care recognized the difference tire size and adjusted TPMS automatically. The driver took my damaged tire to the closest service center which was on Van Ness street in San Francisco. This occurred on Memorial Day weekend so was expecting a long wait but it ended up not being too bad only 90 minutes. My only gripe was I would have rather had the tire sent to the service center in Berkeley so when it came time to take the temporary tire in and get a new tire put on I had to drive a bit farther. Overall, The experience could have been a lot worse.

lbowroom | 15 July, 2019

First, as a reminder for people. Touch the T at the top of the screen for the roadside assistance number if you get a flat or other failure.

Second, the term blowout describes a violent, sudden failure of the tire where the tire may separate itself from the wheel. Sounds like people are using that term to describe a non violent, run of the mill, flat tire that deflates over a period of time long enough to get to the roadside.

Gray Dragon | 15 July, 2019

My 2 cents. Check the sidewalls after hitting a pothole. I hit a teeth rattler and thought I was ok. I went home and back to work and 1 tire was flat when the sidewall gave out during the day. I wondered about the front tire and sure enough there was a huge bubble in the sidewall. I had tesla bring me a loaner which worked out ok and got the other tire replaced asap.

vmulla | 15 July, 2019

All this is making me worried about my 50psi tire pressure.
I filled my tires to 45 in the colder months to compensate for dropping temperatures. The tires held the nitrogen well, and are now at 50 due to the higher temps.
I hope I'm not inviting trouble :(

lbowroom | 15 July, 2019

Easily remedied

kirwin | 26 July, 2019

Just 2 weeks after taking delivery of my car I hit a pothole near my home and blew a tire. There was an obvious tear in the sidewall of right front tire. I clicked link in service screen and was connected to Tesla agent. She dispatched a flat bed tow truck who took it to my local Tesla Service Center. Bill was about $350. Wheel was okay and no charge for tow.

kirwin | 26 July, 2019

Addendum: The agent checked whether a replacement tire was available to change on the sport, but there was not.