Forums

Extremely dissatisfied with Tesla Home solar support!

Extremely dissatisfied with Tesla Home solar support!

I had an 11.3KW Tesla home solar system installed in Oct of last year. It was activated on DEC 21 of 2018. Yes, the shortest day of the year.

During installation, I had requested that the solar equipment be installed on a wall 90 degrees to what the installers wanted. They know more than I do right? No!

So, My Solar Edge inverted died over 6 weeks ago. When I called Tesla energy, they said it would take 4-6 weeks for them to even come out to my house. 4 to 6 weeks for a 7 month old system...

So, I called asked to speak with a "supervisor". Plead my case that these days are the highest solar producing days of the year and also, with what product that costs tens of thousands of dollars should it take 6 weeks to repair if it failed within the first 12 months?

Of course I got the "we will see what we can do" etc etc etc...

2 weeks ago, I got a text saying we will be at your house in between 7-9 am to fix your solar. Sweet!!

Guess what, I waited from 7-9 and around 10:30, asked via text where they were? The response? "oh, we have to order the part ,expect 7-10 days".

It has been 12 days, I called the CS number and was told "we don"t have the parts yet".

I am going on 2 months with NO SOLAR. I am about to start interviewing lawyers.

I have been stalking Elon Musk via twitter, but that hasn't helped either..

Oh, yeah, I bought a model 3 in April that has to be charged too.

I am beyond frustrated.

anyone else have any suggestions on how I could get this moved along?

Thanks

edwardneal2222 | 23 July, 2019

does your contract have a production guarantee?

Captainbillyb | 23 July, 2019

Yes but what good does that do me with getting this fixed In a timely manor?

rkburks | 25 July, 2019

I have a very similar unhappy story....
My 66 panel system w/2 powerwalls was installed between around 12/27/2018; I was granted PTO in mid-February; worked great and I loved to show everyone my app showing it running my house, charging my batteries and sending excess back to the grid; my electric bill went to zero and I've been "banking" 500+ KW each month for future use.
....but my Inverter #1 (handling 40 panels) faulted with a hardware error on 7/12/2019; was given a service date five weeks out.....my coworkers continue to show interest, but I have to just tell 'em it's broken.....NOT ACCEPTABLE!

rkburks | 25 July, 2019

update to my post earlier today: I decided to call Tesla again, just to ask if my scheduled date could be moved up and to make sure a replacement Inverter had been ordered. I learned:
1) the error code on my Inverter should have triggered an immediate RMA replacement but that this part had not been ordered (it takes 4-5 weeks to get)!, and
2) nope my repair date had not changed (but it is no longer a valid date anyway because it will take weeks more to get the part).
So now 'm into to Sept sometime at the earliest to get 40 of my panels back online, on a tesla solar system turned on just five months ago. Pass the word (sorry to say)

johncrab | 25 July, 2019

Wow. I would consult a lawyer just for the fact that your warranty is ticking away due to their slothful responses. They certainly owe you a warranty extension for the time they have peed away here.

chancellor32 | 25 July, 2019

This is the stuff that scares me. Hoping my system lasts 20 years lol.

Patrick | 26 July, 2019

Solar Inverters and power optimizers will fail occasionally. We’ve had to replace one of our two SolarEdge inverters and 5-6 panel optimizers during the first 3 years of operation. Fortunately we acquired our system from a local solar integrator, not Tesla, and the failures were acknowledged and fixed within a few days.

Time = money once a solar generator goes online and extended service delays are unacceptable. Sure hope Tesla follows through on making customer support improvements within its energy business as stated in the Q2 report.

We have multiple PW2s on order and would like to include them (open to using their panels as well) in a new home project, but until they have proven their ability to provide timely customer support we will insist on Tesla using a local partner/integrator if they want our business.

dpsmithaz | 2 August, 2019

I had roof work completed on July 25th and I contacted Tesla on the 26th to re-install the panels. Received an email that this earliest dates would be October 10th and 11th. TWO MONTHS?!? So I responded replying this was unacceptable. Four emails later NOT ONE REPLY! If you include my electric plus the lease cost I am paying over $500/month. Who in the hell is in charge at Tesla?!? Is this how you treat your customers? I think NOT!

rlandrigan | 22 August, 2019

I have had a 9.88 kw Tesla solar system in place since August 2015, Order Number EN7104764, 22 Deacon Lane, Sudbury, MA. My solar system stopped producing electricity at the beginning of April 2019. As of late August 2019 it still is not functioning. The peak sun months of 2019 have been missed. Tesla has made several technician visits during the five months including installing a new inverter, having a few guys up on the roof checking the system. The system still doesn't work. Blame it on lack of sustained interest or incompetence, or both. Per the system lease contract, paragraph 4(c), I am not to be "...charged for Estimated Production when the System is not producing electricity due to Solar City's (Tesla) fault". I cut Tesla off from automatic debit billing from my bank account and refuse to pay their "Estimated Production" bills on the basis that it amounts to consumer fraud. They just billed me $237.42 for the month of July when no electricity was produced. In my estimation as an attorney their "Estimated Production" billing while a system is down due to Tesla's fault is fraudulent and is clearly subject to challenge, perhaps as a class action.

winigross | 26 August, 2019

I have been on hold with customer support for a total of 1.5 hrs recently. Maybe it is time to stop paying bills until we get some basic customer service?

pallava99 | 26 August, 2019

My solar monitoring app stopped working. I have been trying to call someone. I can't reach anyone. Wait time is more than 30 mins. Finally someone came online . She said she fixed the problem and asked me to login after 30 mins. No luck. same issue. I can't reach anyone after that. No one replies to email also.
Worst customer service. What is happening to this company?
Are they going out of business?

martin.bell | 26 August, 2019

I had an inverter stop working this time last year. To cut a long story short, everything I've read here applies to me. My system was down almost 3 months.

These guys are beyond incompetent. Now the box attached to my router isn't reporting to them and suddenly they want to get hold of me. Solar panels are generating just fine. Maybe I'll put them on my calendar to answer the phone in 3 months time. Then I won't answer it. I'll make an appointment for them to stop by then I won't be there.
Payback's a bitch.

Bring back Solar City.

tlwilliams_99 | 27 August, 2019

Captbillyb your dismay with tesla is not going to get any better. The transition from a professionally managed company like Solar City to the current bozos hired by tesla is extremely disappointing. My system needed maintenance-power not being sent from the grid. Half of the month of July and now the end of August (hot summer months). It takes 90 days to get a technician out for support. Power grid information no longer available after logging from computer. Oh joy! I can see and pay my bill.

joexcan | 27 August, 2019

My problem is I have two power walls which are not charging. The online service seemed acceptable but weren’t able to solve the problem. They indicate I have to have a tech but the first available date is 9/13. So out since 8/12 and a pending hurricane. It’s jyst seems 3-4 weeks to get a truck is unreasonable. Tesla solar, 2 powerwalls and two Model 3.

rkburks | 30 August, 2019

I was now wanting to update the problem I logged in this forum in July, but I observe my entry has been removed.
Here are my facts:
2/15/2019: Granted permission to operate my new 66 panel w/2 power walls in Dallas, TX.
7/12/2019: Inverter #1 of 2 failed, error HW 18xB5 (indicating immediate replacement).
8/21/2019: Replacement Inverter installed -- missing 6 weeks of Texas sun

aburke45 | 30 August, 2019

Who regulates Solar Companies? Are they exempt from Utillity regulations?