Forums

Ford did it in their pants (Not Model 3 specific but fun a read all the same)

Ford did it in their pants (Not Model 3 specific but fun a read all the same)

It nice waking up to this news article :)

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/23/electric-ford-f-150-tow-over-a-milli...

I'm cheering on, and yet am fully cognizant of which company made them move their behind to this place.

and the last line in the video is fun - "we'll deliver these trucks in the *coming years*" - that's a fantastic timeline :))

calvin940 | 23 July, 2019

The sooner they all convert, the better.

kevin_rf | 23 July, 2019

Oh, so it was an Ev, I saw the head line, Ford, Towing, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda..... and moved on.

raqball | 23 July, 2019

The more the merrier.. Competition is good for us consumers...

gmr6415 | 23 July, 2019

Try that with inflatable rubber tires on asphalt rather than steel wheels on a steel track and you've got something.

donharvey2323 | 23 July, 2019

@gmr6415 Did you watch the video? it was inflatable rubber tires on asphalt...

Bighorn | 23 July, 2019

I think he's referring to the load, not the truck.

vmulla | 23 July, 2019

Credit where it is due - that was good marketing!

donharvey2323 | 23 July, 2019

OIC! Ya, and they were going like 4 miles an hour, and they didn't show how they stopped the train cars. There are no practical applications but the truck guys were impressed so that is a win...

Magic 8 Ball | 23 July, 2019

I guess liars admire deception, seems right.

Joshan | 23 July, 2019

So when can I order one? oh wait.... they wont even say.... Its like going to the Auto show and seeing some amazing concept car they never make.

inconel | 23 July, 2019

Hybrid version coming in 2020 and EV "later". Another "Hold Your Horses" gimmick.

inconel | 23 July, 2019

I think we are finally seeing the fruits of Ford and VW collaboration. Their "look at our awesome concepts" tricks are the best in the industry.

TabascoGuy | 23 July, 2019

@Joshan - I'm still waiting for Lincoln to make the '55 Futura...

kevin_rf | 23 July, 2019

Next, they will be parking them in front of superchargers to drum up sales....

SamO | 23 July, 2019

Bah . . . this garbage is why nobody likes or trusts automakers.

Tesla at least gives a date you can buy their cars. Sometimes late, but they deliver.

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers and me.

la la la la la la la, la la la la la la la la . . .la.

coleAK | 23 July, 2019

Well I’m just glad someone is advertising EVs. It would be nice if the leader in EVs would do so to raise public awareness.

vmulla | 23 July, 2019

We know they put something out to preempt Tesla's release of the pickup, there's not much more to it that I can think of.
But I like it that they've elevated EVs - that's a win to me.

raqball | 23 July, 2019

I view most of these announcements about EV's as compliance vehicles only and the manufacturers are not really interested in selling a boat load of them...

My reasoning is that ICE vehicles make them a TON of money after the sale in service and repair. EV's offer them very little revenue after the sale...

I also have an opinion that the major ICE company execs are probably in the back pocket of the oil industry...

I am all for other manufacturers making them but at this point they are all so far behind Tesla it's not even funny. I won't take any of them seriously until they show they are serious above EV.. They appear to still be operating at snail pace...

andy.connor.e | 23 July, 2019

Ford EV? They'll probably use NiMH batteries.

tung1900 | 23 July, 2019

No, not NiMH, 9v Duracell.
Ford made shitty cars. N they don’t care.

coleAK | 23 July, 2019

@raqball. EVs still break or get damaged and need repairs. Also need: tires, breaks, break fluid exchange,...

Tesla-David | 23 July, 2019

I am very much looking forward to the Tesla Pickup Truck Reveal. I am confident in typical Elon Musk fashion, the specs will blow people away as compared to the F-150.

"Musk has since made a number of bold statements. It will be better than the Ford F-150. It will be a better sports car than the Porsche 911. It needs great functionality, a price of $49,000 or less. It “won’t look like a normal truck.”

https://www.inverse.com/article/50924-tesla-pickup-truck-price-release-d...

finman100 | 23 July, 2019

breaks, not so much.

brakes? not nearly as often as a non-regen ICE. like, very very very very infrequently.

brake fluid? sure, but not a lot of breaks for a EV maintenance schedule.

Bighorn | 23 July, 2019

CNBC had a reference to Tesla “breaks” not once, but twice, in one headline this week.

kevin_rf | 23 July, 2019

Yeah, my alignments out. Tesla just isn't making curbs like they use to...

jjgunn | 24 July, 2019

Ford....absolutely terrified of Tesla Pickup Truck.

Pepperidge | 24 July, 2019

I can see a battery pack under the body. It is a prototype of prototype, 3+ years until production.

Iwantmy3 | 24 July, 2019

That truck may be less about showing the public what their "electric F150" can do than it is about them realizing how much more an EV powered truck can do even if all you do is stick it on your current vehicle shell. Even if they weren't scared before, this little experiment may be terrifying Ford all by itself. If they can accomplish this with virtually no real design effort, then what is Tesla going to come out with?

andy.connor.e | 24 July, 2019

optimus prime

gmr6415 | 24 July, 2019

@donharvey2323, As Bighorn stated I was speaking of the train, not the truck.

For example: "Tesla's Model X SUV is so strong it earned a Guinness World Record for towing."

"Tesla released a video on Tuesday that shows one of its electric SUVs towing a 287,000-pound Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner nearly 1,000 feet on a taxiway at the Melbourne Airport in Australia."

That's rubber inflatable tires (on the load) on concrete (not asphalt as I previously stated, but closer than a steel rail).

AWDTesla | 24 July, 2019

A regular truck would have been able to do this given appropriate traction. The rolling resistance is small on train cars, the hard part is getting started.

Plus I want that tow strap. ;)

lol

vmulla | 24 July, 2019

AWDTesla | July 24, 2019

..Plus I want that tow strap. ;)...
-----

+1 - that's some real engineering in that strap

wait a minute, if we can identify how much that strap is rated at we can tell how much power the truck really has

Iwantmy3 | 24 July, 2019

Steel wheels on a steel track and bearings with minimal resistance. The friction losses will be minor.
I tried to estimate the speed at the end from the video clip. It looks like the last 100 feet took 9 seconds. Assuming a constant torque ( and acceleration) over the whole length (as opposed to constant power), I am guessing it would have taken 180 seconds from start to finish and the power required would have only been ~50Hp (plus any friction losses)

If anything, what it shows is the effect of low end torque from even a "weak" electric motor. A gas powered truck could never have maintained that level of low end torque for such a long period of time without destroying the transmission.

One other thing to note. This test truck could have been designed with just this one task in mind by giving it a high gear ratio suitable for high torque at low speeds. For all we know, this particular truck may have a top speed of 10 mph. The model X that pulled the aircraft was a real vehicle with a real gear ratio.

vmulla | 24 July, 2019

The video achieves one thing: It makes F150 loyalists take EVs seriously. Even if it is a Ford EV that's nothing but vaporware, that's Ok - it folds into Tesla's mission.

SamO | 24 July, 2019

These ICE car companies are functionally retarded.

Audi parking at Superchargers that can't charge their cars.

Ford showing a car that has no delivery date, price or specs.

Everything serves Tesla's agenda.

But is unlikely to provide any relief to "customers' of Ford and Audi.

vmulla | 24 July, 2019

@SamO,
Don't you like that their heads are not in the sand anymore?

leo33 | 24 July, 2019

I figure that it primes their customers for an electric truck. If they actually make one, great! But if they can't pull it off, Tesla and Rivian will be there to pick up some of their customers.

SamO | 24 July, 2019

Stupidity is an upgrade on inertia.

vmulla | 24 July, 2019

SamO | July 24, 2019
Stupidity is an upgrade on inertia.

----

:))

Iwantmy3 | 26 July, 2019

Ford is doing what Ford does best...marketing. Too bad their strength is actually making cars.

vmulla | 26 July, 2019

Moving this thread to the main group where it belongs

jordanrichard | 26 July, 2019

I agree with the sentiment that this shows how powerful (torque) EV can be. The number one selling point for trucks is pulling power. With Ford being so far behind, they just helped Tesla sell more of their pick up trucks. Of course Tesla’s pick up truck is as much vaporware as Fords.

Rutrow 3 | 26 July, 2019

An interesting little tidbit about train cars (and why they chose them for this demonstation) is that train couplers provide just enough slack, that when you're starting a line of train cars moving, you get only one car started at a time. Locomotives will always start off (of finish up) by reversing direction, a move that creates the slack between cars. As the engine begins moving forward, only the static inertia of the locomotive is being overcome. After it gets moving a few inches, its now dynamic inertia helps to get the next car moving when the coupler engages, and on and on for each car in the line.

This is why the Model X towing of the Jumbo Jet is more impressive. The entire mass of that load has to be overcome all at once.

vmulla | 27 July, 2019

@Rutrow 3,
That was an educational bit of info. Thank you for explaining.