Forums

Tesla Model 3 Forum Improvements

Tesla Model 3 Forum Improvements

This is a thread to discuss the model 3 Forum community, challenges and improvements.

Tesla admins please examine and correct the behaviour of the few trying to ruin the community.

calvin940 | 2 August, 2019

@TabascoGuy | August 2, 2019

@calvin940 (the other thread got nuked so i hope you see this one before it does)

Fair enough. I just don't think that I have to be an owner to feel the same way you do. Also, I don't want to be excluded because I'm not an owner.
------------------------------------------------

I agree you don't have to be an owner to want to participate constructively and get value from these forums. Some of my heavy handed agreements come out of frustration because of what we are experiencing here. I don't wish it to be that way and I am never one to be exclusionary. The last few months here have been challenging to say the least.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 August, 2019

Seems to be a threatening topic here but not so threatening in an unrelated thread. Curious why the trolls are not nuking the other thread that has lots of unrelated dialog that is supposed to be the subject. The trolls have been gaming this for a long time.

These threads are being nuked, not by Tesla, but by trolls that are nervous their astroturfing days may be ending soon. The troll agenda is to promote infighting in many threads and to campaign misinformation in those threads. This is all finally being looked into, so I am told. I was booted from the forum recently and evidence of my return and being allowed to repost this over and over again should be enough evidence of how this is going down. I will not post my story here. It is a four page word document and contains information I do not wish to share here. I am not being prevented from using this method.

These threads are providing important data to those working on why posts and threads are being flagged away that do not violate the "rules" which is what astroturfers have been using. This is all part of constructive process that have many squirming apparently.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/d/portola-valley-tesla-magic-8-ball...

lilbean | 2 August, 2019

Just post the story here.

hcdavis3 | 2 August, 2019

Once again. Right on Magic.

Tronguy | 2 August, 2019

I wonder. So, as a wild, unproven guess, it's seems likely that Tesla is Watching as this thread gets nuked over and over again. So, as regards the astoturfers: Unless they're playing with VPNs up the kazoo, those that are killing the thread are going to be identified.
Further, it's quite likely that, if there are astroturfers about, they seem to have plenty of throw-away accounts gotten by nefarious means. That means that getting together a "flash mob" to nuke a thread has members (or, rather, fake members) to make snarky comments and nuke away.
Interestingly, the people who seem to be most loudly complaining about spam all seem to be very new posters. Some of those probably are new posters. But, I'm guessing they're troll throw-away accounts.
I'd say that the astroturfers are, of course, trying to mind fake potential new owners. But their ultimate objective may be to simply nuke Tesla's forums, period. Except, possibly, for themselves as the only users, as long as they can keep that going.
While Tesla may have the forum management under the Service department, make no mistake: This is a social media scene that, when run properly (no fake news, etc.) encourages customers to buy the car. Getting rid of the forum would serve the purpose of doing that.
Interestingly: Every time some place like Arstechnica runs an article on Tesla, it's just amazing how many trollish comments show up over there: They need a Red eXile poster, but don't have one.
I strongly suspect the astroturfers are active on as many fora as they can master.
It is, really and truly, an attack on Tesla. Wow.
Weird part: There are actually laws on the books about interfering with a business. For speech, that's a squishy line, usually resulting with companies that Did Wrong trying to silence critics. But, paid-for critics.. I really wonder if that's what's going on.

@Tronguy Part of the process is an investigation into the who, how, and why of flagging. Unfortunately they do not seem to have full blown detective resources and tools as we are hoping for. These things take resources and money which they have not been proactive about. The current state of affairs, as I understand is, they are reaching out to some forum members (I was the first they claim) to get their stories and input (a sizing up process is what I would call it).

The resources, if required, will not happen overnight. It will take time.

Tronguy | 2 August, 2019

Thing is.. If the one of the potential objectives of the astroturfers is to ensure that 90% of the active posters are _them_, at that point, the forums are no longer an asset to Tesla, but just a cancer in their side. If that state ever happened, Tesla would have a few choices: a) Kill off the forums due to the sheer amount of false, misleading information; b) outsource it to somebody who monetizes it with ads, but would then presumably have the resources (from the ad money) to police the forums; or c) fund b) with Tesla's own money. Somehow, I hope that Tesla will go with c), but, unfortunately, that means putting resources into doing so, and that, too, would be an astroturfer objective: Anything that reduces Tesla's resources would be a gain in their eyes.
Maybe there really is a technical solution to all the astroturfers. But look at the likes of Facebook: They've got, what, tens of thousands of people trying to police forums, and they, continuously, unavoidably, make mistakes all the time.
It's asymmetric warfare, that's what it is.

Well said not easy to put worms back in can.

The most fascinating thing to me is how many have been astroturfer agents without the slightest clue, not being able to see through the smoke. They fight battles for them by trying to hurt those fighting hard against them.

thedrisin | 2 August, 2019

Frankly, i don't believe in conspiracy theories. People are not going on this forum to destroy Tesla. It is a relatively small audience. Someone with constructive criticism or recommendation is not a "troll." This is not the only Tesla forum. Other forums are civil and posters are not attacking each other. I hope we can have civil conversation here as well without accusing people of being "trolls" because they have a different opinion. Get over it, have normal discourse and no need for disparaging or foul remarks.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2 August, 2019

@thedrisin +1

Dan used this venue to get attention to himself and his business in MSM.

In doing so it made Tesla look incompetent.

They bait and wait to expose every weakness.

raqball | 2 August, 2019

hedrisin | August 2, 2019
Frankly, i don't believe in conspiracy theories. People are not going on this forum to destroy Tesla. It is a relatively small audience. Someone with constructive criticism or recommendation is not a "troll." This is not the only Tesla forum. Other forums are civil and posters are not attacking each other. I hope we can have civil conversation here as well without accusing people of being "trolls" because they have a different opinion. Get over it, have normal discourse and no need for disparaging or foul remarks.

Lonestar10_1999 | August 2, 2019
@thedrisin +1
------------------------------

+2

People like to dismiss discussions about adverse affects of posting falsities by more than one individual by calling them conspiracies, but the truth is those posts don't help the community, they hurt it so don't marginalize the effect by trying to make the opposition look silly by calling them conspiracies. That's not what people are saying.

It's a double edged sword because if you don't correct / engage the people that post misinformation, then folks that come to look for information will not get real data. If you do engage then it tends to result in crap, hijaaking threads making them useless.

Sorry " by trying to claim that people are calling them conspiracies". Nobody is calling them conspiracies. We are calling them as harmful to the community.

@calvin940 - we are not Tesla representatives on this forum, we are customers sharing our thoughts, tips, advice, and war stories.

If someone feels that their M3 did not meet expectations, and they post about it, that’s their prerogative. The post may dissuade potential customers and hurt Tesla in the near term. But if the post is honest, it can help Tesla with insights that can shape and improve Tesla’s policies.

On the other hand, potential customers would be foolish to believe certain posts that for example predict future pricing without any official basis.

No matter what, civility and tolerance should always be practiced. As our mothers always told us, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

Rules for children do not invoke change. Adults that think outside the box are the makers of change.

Rules for children are the underpinnings of a civilized society.

Adults make the rules perhaps you have not been watching very many adults and how they operate in Congress parliament etc. I live in real world not the world of fairytales and sugar plums.

rxlawdude | 2 August, 2019

@meatball is back to his Dale Carnegie course examples of NOT influencing people and making friends.

@Lonestar10_1999

If someone feels that their M3 did not meet expectations, and they post about it, that’s their prerogative. 
------------------------------------------------

I don't have any issue with honest posting good or bad. That's not what I am talking about and you have been around long enough to know what I mean.

Even if I feel someones expectations are not reasonable, I may post my opinion as such but would never begrudge their posting their thoughts.

Is someone pining for an old man fight?

4barkie | 2 August, 2019

The trolls contribute nothing to the forum. They throw crap at tesla and usually provide no information that is useful to others and frequently spout off information that is just plain wrong.

If you don't like your car get rid of it, please don't try to dissuade others from buying a tesla. State your case move on and maybe your next car will be more gratifying. Don't make up stuff to bolster your own position. I think many times that is the problem.

If you are nuking a thread just because you are being a jerk then maybe the moderators should consider an extended ban for you.

Those missing from the forum recently provide vital info to people like myself who are still occasionally baffled by my car. I seriously was considering backing away to see if the situation corrected itself. It seems like it may have for the time being. Welcome back M8Ball.

Cheers 4barkie happy Friday.

lbowroom | 2 August, 2019

Look around. Take a close look and then explain the behavior of fish and raq. This is not a small audience. Small audiences don’t cause web servers to error and overload. The smallest whispers cause people pause on purchases and steer company futures. Paid influencers are a part of life now. If you think otherwise you are very naive or worse.

Stupid video I put only link to here got over 800 hits in 2 days. Metrics are not difficult to get to understand silent “masses”.

thedrisin | 2 August, 2019

@lbowroom. Who is being naive? If the forum is impacting negatively on sales, the obvious thing is to get rid of the forum.

@thedrisin | August 2, 2019
@lbowroom. Who is being naive? If the forum is impacting negatively on sales, the obvious thing is to get rid of the forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wouldn't be the forum that is impacting negatively on sales, it is the misinformation and absolutely the answer is to get rid of the misinformation.

spuzzz123 | 2 August, 2019

Keep on flaggin

Thedrisin - you can’t be serious

@thedrisin Actively campaigned to have me removed, just sayn'

If you’re not being naïve, then what else can we conclude?

Bighorn | 3 August, 2019

My first question is what kind of “doctor”? MDs usually don’t flaunt it. I’m guessing podiatrist.

mcmack15 | 3 August, 2019

+1 4barkie

Magic----just two cents from an older guy that has been around the block. Maybe refrain from taking their bait. Don't let them get you involved in the tit-for-tat and back'nforth. I read a thread last night where, from their off the wall posts directed at you I would swear you must have stolen either their wife, their wallet or last cold beer. I think that thread has since been deleted. I thought you did an admirable job not jumping down their throats---you came across as being light years above their dribble.

Notably, again, just my two cents, I think the back and forth takes away from the great points and value you provide.

In any event, always glad to read your posts.

Magic 8 Ball | 3 August, 2019

@mcmack15 I am working in good faith with Tesla on private, but documented, commitments I made to them and they made to me. I have filling my end of the bargain, so far.

Should read: I have been filling my end of the bargain, so far.

This is a process where we will all benefit, I hope. I am a bit leery that they are playing a victim card in that they are now claiming they are being "forced" to do something about it. No one is forcing them to do anything, this is all on them letting it get this way to begin with.

mcmack15 | 3 August, 2019

Well stick with it..........you would be missed, and more importantly, by filling your end of the bargain, you are coming across as being a ton more helpful and fair minded than the trolls. Folks like myself come to the Forum for help with questions; to see what questions and issues others raise, and to get helpful, unbiased, information. I am not looking to read posts from folks constantly bashing Tesla with the same half truths over and and over and over again. Nor am I interested in those posts from trolls just posting to instigate arguments. And I don't drink the kool-aid. I fully acknowledge Tesla isn't perfect (although our positive experiences to date have far exceeded those of any other dealership and manufacturer we have encountered over the last 55+ years or so).

My methods are unorthodox to most but I have almost always gotten most satisfactory results. Too many are afraid to commit and get involved, I love the challenge. I hate pulling out the heavy hammers but with only a small one I am getting listened to and apologized to. I have a framing hammer and a sledgehammer waiting, if needed.

sheldon.mike1010 | 3 August, 2019

Doctorates from Dear Leader's now defunct University probably not worth much.

Lonestar10_1999 | 3 August, 2019

I see this forum as getting polluted from two types of posters; those who desire Tesla to fail at all costs, and those who desire Tesla to succeed at all costs.

The common ground from these diametrically opposed camps is “kool aid”. Inventing falsehoods, name calling, childish behavior, and belittling legitimate concerns are the tools to win arguments.

Some folks are amused by the inane banter while others find the language offensive and degrading. Some offended folks react by threatening physical violence. Clearly the forum cannot allow this immaturity to continue.

The ultimate losers are those who visit the forum to exchange ideas, get helpful advice, receive helpful advice, and opine on how to improve the status quo.

jjgunn | 3 August, 2019

I'm an ultimate loser

At this point in time it would be more beneficial to discuss cost effective solutions and actions to make it the place YOU want to be (speaking to all YOU's). Observations and opinions are not helping solve the "problem".

jjgunn | 3 August, 2019

I'm an ultimate loser......with (2) Tesla's

Lonestar10_1999 | 3 August, 2019

Jjgunn, just keep it real and be honest and everyone wins.

@mcmack Too funny, I was discussing with my wife, on our morning walk, how much I am enjoying being sharp enough still to be creative and old enough to where I a can play the feeble old man victim card when needed. As we age we learn to adapt and use new tools. I am am close to blue plate specials and senior citizen discounts. : ).