Forums

Turning on A/C triggers Sentry Alarm...

Turning on A/C triggers Sentry Alarm...

For the last two weeks, I've had an issue where if I turn on Climate Control from the app (say, leaving the gym), it'll trigger Sentry and make the car go ape-doodoo. It's happened half a dozen times now and is repeatable:
1. Leave the car in the sun on a 100+ degree day for an hour or so. Cabin Overheat Protection is set to "No AC".
2. Using the Tesla App, turn on Climate.
3. Note that within a minute or so, the car is making all kinds of racket.

Anyone else notice this issue?

My guess is that the interior is getting very hot (15-20 degrees above ambient), so Climate turns the A/C on full-blast. Sentry mode isn't expecting the noise, and treats it as an alarm trigger. I guess the problem will go away in a month or so as temperatures start to moderate, but I'm hoping for a SW update that eliminates the problem. Or, maybe, it's just me and I need to call the Service Center.

Magic 8 Ball | 12 August, 2019

Firmware version is essential to compare with others.

Frank99 | 12 August, 2019

Yeah, I guess it would be.
Current FW is 2019.28.2

Magic 8 Ball | 12 August, 2019

People had reported this issue on earlier versions, apparently it still persists. All anecdotal, of course.

EVRider | 13 August, 2019

When you say Sentry Mode alarm, do you mean the full alarm where the car plays loud music and you get a notification from the app, or do you mean a Sentry Mode alert, where you see a Sentry Mode event message displayed on the touchscreen?

lechner | 13 August, 2019

happens if things in the car start moving because of the airflow

Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat Protection in combination does not work anymore (since .24)
so the car's inside temperature is much higher as it would be with Cabin Overheat Protection..

starting A/C will now lead to a much higher airflow..

hokiegir1 | 13 August, 2019

@lechner - My Cabin overheat is working fine with Sentry both when I was on .24.x and since moving to 28.2. There was one point recently where it had gotten reset to "off," but once I checked that and turned it back on, it worked fine.

Frank99 | 13 August, 2019

EVRider -
Loud music, horn honking, and notifications on the App. Full alarm mode.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 August, 2019

Shot in the dark-When COP comes on does it automatically set blow direction of air or does it use last setting used?

emoomjean | 26 May, 2020

MIne just started doing this about a week ago. Anyone ever figure out the root cause?