Forums

Tesla autopilot dangerous drunk weaving

Tesla autopilot dangerous drunk weaving

I updated my Tesla to 2019.32.1 on 9/1 and have noticed that the car weaves down the lane when on autopilot now. At surface road speeds this is not an issue, and I can't always notice. When I am on the interstate, though, I have noticed that sometimes the weaving intensifies progressively. It starts as just a minor shimmy but overcorrects more and more until I'm bouncing back and forth off the lane lines. Several times now the autopilot has turned itself off after running off onto the shoulder of the road. During a lane change it was also weaving and made me feel unsafe before disconnecting again. Has anyone else noticed issues since the new update?

EVRider | 9 September, 2019

Are you sure Autosteer was actually turned on? I made that mistake once. Sounds like Autosteer was not on, and perhaps the lane departure system was bouncing from one lane marker to the other.

If you’re sure Autosteer was on, reboot, and if the problem persists, have your car serviced.

PrescottRichard | 9 September, 2019

Also check to make sure all your sensors / cameras are clean. There was a post here or on facebook recently where someone had a nice size bird dropping strategically placed in front of his cameras which caused issues.

Frank99 | 9 September, 2019

Drove 600 miles yesterday on AP/NAP on 2019.32.1, and nary a single unexpected wobble.
Next time it happens to you, hit the right button, say "Bug Report Autopilot weaving back and forth", then make a Service appointment. Pull the TeslaCam footage off your USB stick so you can show the tech what you were experiencing, tell him that you filed a bug report so maybe he can pull the logs, and hopefully they can fix it quickly.

rxlawdude | 9 September, 2019

Without knowing whether this is AP1 or EAP, not enough information.

bardoner | 9 September, 2019

Sorry, mine is AP 2.0. I rebooted, and it's still present. My cameras are clean, and autopilot is definitely engaged. It began after I got my car back from servicing a sonar sensor in the passenger falcon wing door. The car took a software update while in the shop, and when I called to report the abrupt change in AP driving behavior, the service technician said this is how the new version drives.

TeslaTap.com | 9 September, 2019

@bardoner - doesn't sound right. Just tested my EAP on the freeway, and worked exactly like before, no weaving. This is with 32.1. I don't think it's the update, but you could wait for the next update to see if it changes.

jimglas | 9 September, 2019

mine worked perfectly this weekend
the only problem is i wanted to go to sleep

EVRider | 9 September, 2019

How is it that service technicians can be this clueless?

rxlawdude | 9 September, 2019

" It began after I got my car back from servicing."

Occam's Razor.

Techy James | 10 September, 2019

I just completed a 1200 mile return road trip, and most of it was using Enhanced Autopilot, with latest firmware update 2019.32.1. I must say I didn't experience any such behavior. Which is good considering the front bumper and windshield was covered in what can't be explained any other way but a bug war zone. Will have to give it a complete wash and detail to remove all the bug residue from the car.

PrescottRichard | 10 September, 2019

Bug-apocalypse.
CarmaBUGden.
Hopper-harvest.
Butterfly collection.
Bug car bra.