Forums

Has anyone traded in their Model 3?

Has anyone traded in their Model 3?

I'm curious what the F.U. damage would be if I tried to trade up to a longer range. I was always told that trading back to the manufacturer of the vehicles was the best option since they know the in's and out's of the car. I see quite a few used Model 3's from other dealerships though and none are a good deal.

vswendsen | 11 September, 2019

I traded in my 2019 Model 3 LR DM for a Performance model. Yes you are going to take a serious hit financially if you do this. I got $34,400 for mine and it had about 15K miles on it. CARMAX offered 35K trade-in. If you can manage selling it yourself that will get you a better deal. But trading in a Tesla or selling it yourself isn't quite as simple as selling another car because of the phone app as a key and how your Tesla is registered with Tesla. It can certainly be done but there are a few more steps involved. I debated putting off getting the Performance model but looking at used Teslas there were very few with a lot of miles on them and knew the longer I put it off the less I would get on trade-in. Have had my Performance M3 for almost two months now and almost 8K miles on it. No regrets.

AWDTesla | 11 September, 2019

I would imagine you would get hosed on trade in. Fuck, I can buy a brand new one WITH AP for $7600 LESS than what i paid 10 months ago.

spuzzz123 | 11 September, 2019

About the amount of the federal tax credit...imagine that.

dogslovecarrot | 11 September, 2019

@vswendsen, just to be clear, you traded in a AWD LR to get a P? 100% happy with that decision? I'm assuming you had to pay 15K+ at least to go up. Seems like a expensive lesson..

vmulla | 11 September, 2019

@vincelorto,
No swap, but I have a friend who is looking for the car you're selling. If you're within 200 miles radius of DC I think both of you are going to benefit.

Northern Virginia is stopping the use of hybrids on HOV lanes. A used SR+ is suddenly a very attractive car for NoVa-DC commuters.

vmulla | 11 September, 2019

Posted the message on the wrong thread. Sorry.

AWDTesla | 11 September, 2019

No federal tax credit here.

Imagine that

lbowroom | 11 September, 2019

I can imagine it, it’s just not the norm

spuzzz123 | 11 September, 2019

Sorry you paid $7500 above market value. My point is that Tesla used that $7500 tax credit amount to initially price and have been dropping prices steadily ever since, keeping the net market price (for those who qualify) fairly steady over time. You’ve been vocally outraged but probably shoulda seen it comin. The auto manufacturer ultimately collects the tax break. Not the consumer.

vswendsen | 11 September, 2019

bertydadog, Yes I did. And yes it was expensive but it also wasn't going to get any cheaper. No regrets. Love the additional power of the Performance compared to the DM LR. Everyone has their reasons for buying an EV. I just love the power delivery of an electric motor compared to ICE.