Forums

Traditional automakers will be better at producing EVs?

Traditional automakers will be better at producing EVs?

Maybe not. Not Ford, at least.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/16/2020-ford-explorer-lincoln-aviator-q...

And those are ICE vehicles. Practice doesn’t necessarily make perfect, I guess.

Joshan | 16 September, 2019

ok some common sense for you...

People with experience doing something, are better at doing it than people who have no experience doing it.

MichaelB00012 | 16 September, 2019

@Joshan - so you're saying Tesla is better at producing EVs than Ford, GM, and everyone else?

M3phan | 16 September, 2019

At minimum, legacy car makers will have to work long and hard to achieve parity with Tesla. I hope they can. More EVs is better for everyone. It seems hard for a company invested in the ICE to be as equally invested in the EV, but I wish them luck. I think Tesla is way ahead of the game currently.

M3phan | 16 September, 2019

Clarification: Parity with Tesla regarding building a battery powered plug in EV capable of long range, creative tech, good looks, and eventual FSD.

@M3phan - the reason it's difficult is not a mechanical issue or hurdle, it's a dollars hurdle and an influence hurdle. They make a lot of money on their ICE fleets, and they employ a lot of people in selling and servicing those vehicles. Even if they kept their sales force, they won't need the number of service people they have currently a few years after they start selling EV en masse, and people are out of jobs. These people belong to very influential unions, all of which put pressure on the GMs of the US to not do things that will cost them money.

Joshan | 16 September, 2019

MichaelB00012 so your blaming GM's employees for their lack of EVs?

@Joshan I suppose you could take it that way, but no. As a company, GM does not really give an iota of a concern to most of it's employees, really only to the bottom line. If GM pisses off the Unions, which does care about it's members (more members = more dollars from dues), then they have a problem that would make the current strike look like child's play. You cannot kill the current gravy train, or any part of it, before you're ready for the next gravy train.

The Big 3 from Detroit have to maintain the delicate balance of pursuing the future of automotive, which will undoubtedly require a smaller workforce, while not pissing off their current workforce in the process.

steveishere | 16 September, 2019

Traditional car company will make better ev than tesla when traditional phone company makes better smart phone than apple.

Kary993 | 16 September, 2019

@ steveishere - love that example........not going to happen any time soon if ever. The big three would be better off buying Tesla if they want to compete.

Bighorn | 16 September, 2019

As long as traditional makers buy their batteries off the shelf, they’ll never catch Tesla.

gballant4570 | 16 September, 2019

To this point, the only legacy car company that is truly making an EV is Porsche. Porsche designed their EV as an EV fro the start. The others have modified existing platforms, using existing parts bins. Porsche has p[roduced a desirable, compelling EV that people will buy. Their [problem is that they will still have to go though some of the "hells' that Tesla has gone through - and so as a result, their compelling and desirable EV lags behind Tesla on battery tech, range, and price. I am certain that Prosche will improve in these ares, and I certainly hope that they do. I also sincerely hope that other legacy car makers develop an understanding of the dynamics involved and change their approach to EVs. Many will fail and disappear anyway, as the window of opportunity closes. Tesla already has a lead that many will never catch up to.

So the short answer to the OP's question is "NO", but the long answer is a bit more complicated. The truth is that the concept if the "Tesla Killer" is a media constructed fantasy that will never see fulfillment.