Forums

Powerwall algorithm is not good enough

Powerwall algorithm is not good enough

Hi,

i own a powerwall in the UK as as we move into winter i am fed up with waking up in the morning to see that the powerwall has not charged overnight.

I have been through support with this already and am told that the algorithm needs to "learn my system". Well i'm sorry but this just doesn't cut it.

Why on earth can't i just tell my powerwall to charge up to a certain level every night on my cheap rate electricity because this is what i need to be able to do. And, frankly, this is what i thought i was getting.

There's no way on earth someone can write an algorithm that can predict my energy usage properly. Even if you tie the system into the local weather forecasts i live in a coastal region where the forecasts are frequently wrong and even if they were right, it's still not good enough.

I have an electrical heating system (air source heat pump) and i need to ensure that my battery is charged adequately, every night, so that the following day i maximise the usage of my low cost electricity.

And what happens if i'm away for a few days, or a holiday, does the algorithm learn that "hey, this guy's not using much power, let's not charge up at all!". Whereas the reality is that ifi had the ability to define when and by how much the powerwall charged up i could have the system ready and waiting for me upon my return. And vice versa, I can tell the system not to charge at night when i'm away up to the day before where it can charge from the mains electricity.

I ask that you give us, your customers, the ability to do this please. Give us the choice - if people are happy with the algorithm then fine, leave the box checked - call it "automatic learning" or something. But for goodness sake stop trying to be so clever because it just doesn't work for people like me, where i live.

Thanks.

EVRider | 9 October, 2019

There’s a forum specifically for Tesla Energy Products. You might get better responses posting there.

andy.connor.e | 9 October, 2019

Doubt it. Energy products forum does not show when there are new posts or new comments.

Tesla-David | 9 October, 2019

@cankfarm, I live in the US in Edmonds, WA with 13.2 solar system + 2 PW2's, which were installed 15 months ago. I was not aware that PW2's could be charged directly from the grid, and our PW2's only charge directly from our solar system. It that an option only available in UK? I understood that to be something that might be available in the future, but not currently available at least in the U.S. The previous two posters are right you will get more of a response posting this topic in the Tesla-Energy forum.

Earl and Nagin ... | 9 October, 2019

Although I don't know exactly how the PW works, I do know that there has been a lot of backlash from the utility regulators to prevent what the OP wants to do. Storing solar during the day for use at night is one thing. Storing cheap grid energy at night for use during the day is another. Storing cheap energy during the day and selling it back to the grid is even more unpopular.
It would not surprise me to find government meddling in the PW algorithms if the OP is truly seeing what he/she reports.
Some municipalities (at least initially) forbid PW altogether. Tesla is pushing against very powerful interests here.

andy.connor.e | 9 October, 2019

Cut the utility tie.

Tesla-David | 9 October, 2019

I personally am happy with our PW2's only charging from our solar system. They have worked exceptionally well for us. We haven't used any grid energy since mid-February, with our solar + PW2 batteries, supplying all our electricity needs for our all electric home and charging both our Tesla's (MS and M3). We are currently exporting 60 percent of our solar generated energy back to grid, so we are effectively operating as a microgrid.

rlwrw | 9 October, 2019

We've had two "Storm Watch" events where the Powerwall charges fully to 100%, even from the grid in the wee hours of the morning.
Otherwise, it will maintain its reserve for a power outage. Usually the PW will charge from the solar, and discharge to the house during dark hours, only drawing from the grid when the PW drops below the reserve limit from vampire leakage.
These are the only two circumstances I have noticed the PW drawing from the grid.

bull.weever | 10 October, 2019

This comment belongs with the battery situation, but I couldn't find it under general. People were asking about the price of a new Tesla battery (replacement battery) when it becomes necessary to change it out. I have to laugh at the way all the answering people talked down the actual price of the battery!! (LOL) . One source was close to the actual retail price for a previous Tesla owner: (to paraphrase) One hopes to have replacement batteries priced at under 20,000$ in a few years from now. But the cost today (as per today's news) is $33,000!!!
Hey, just by a Toyota Prius for the same price (or less, if you get a demo model). "Bull"

reed_lewis | 10 October, 2019

I am getting two powerwalls and a solar system (about 7 kW). I was told that I cannot charge the power walls except from solar if I have a solar system. Without a solar system, the power walls will charge from the grid.

But in terms of the OP, I do not know if they allow what you are wanting to do. They should.

Haggy | 10 October, 2019

I don't have a system but have been reading up on it to see if I should get one. The online description says that in power saving mode, it will charge using excess solar during off-peak and shoulder periods. For me, that would mean that it could charge off peak only on weekends. On other days, it could charge during the shoulder period with excess power, and then discharge during the peak period and charge back up the next morning at shoulder rates.

Ideally it would charge at night from the grid, but it doesn't say that it will do that. Ideally it would never discharge at night for me because I get cheaper rates off the grid, and ideally it would charge at night, except on weekends, rather than at shoulder rates. If what's on the website is correct, it doesn't seem to charge from the grid at night, but it doesn't explicitly say that it won't.

In the US, there's probably a legal reason that it should work that way, if a person took the solar tax credit, since the purpose would be to minimize the load on the grid. Although charging it at night and selling it back to the power company during the day might do more to help the grid, from what I read it wouldn't qualify if you did that.

Nevertheless it's not Tesla's concern whether or not a take a tax credit. And outside the US, none of that should be relevant.

What I'm wondering though is whether it would try to replenish itself at night if you switched it to backup mode. If so, it would be possible to write code using the API to switch it into that mode automatically, in my case at 11 pm. I haven't done any coding of that sort, but there are some open source examples out there, but they don't have any of the solar stuff in them. They are just for the Model S. But it would be a good thing to know anyway.

ketterlingkristi | 15 October, 2019

I do know that there has been a lot of backlash from the utility regulators to prevent what the OP wants to do. https://www.mykfcexperience.onl/ Storing solar during the day for use at night is one thing. Storing cheap grid energy at night for use during the day is another. Storing cheap energy during the day and selling it back to the grid is even more unpopular.

adwebstudiosocial | 16 October, 2019

We are one of the best SEO company Dubai. We are well-known for an advanced SEO company we are providing the best SEO services all over the world. Here you can contact us: https://adwebstudio.com/seo-dubai