Forums

Run flat tires

Run flat tires

I follow the forums, but I don't remember the subject of run flat tires coming up before. Probably has, but, anyway, what is the opinion on run flat tires? It seems like an obvious choice for a car with no spare tire. I guess you get higher unsprung weight, which might affect performance a hair. Are they quieter? Any thoughts appreciated.

jordanrichard | 11 October, 2019

No, you don’t want run flats. One they are heavier which will affect range. They are also stiffer than a regular tire. Lastly, the tire manufacturers have gone from promoting these tires as a way to get to the nearest tire shop to get a repair to, don’t repair but rather replace the tire. So, you pay more for the tire itself, it affects range, and in net affect, they are unrepairable tire.

stingray.don | 11 October, 2019

My Corvette came with run flat tires (traded it in on the Tesla) and they created a lot of road noise. I would not want to go back.

sabbia | 12 October, 2019

After two flats I put run flat tires on my Model S. I did this after talking to Tesla support. I have experienced absolutely no downside. If there is loss of range it is negligible. If there is a loss in 0-60 time I haven't noticed it and I think I would prefer that to calling a flat bed truck.

Highly recommended.

Tesla2018 | 13 October, 2019

Sabbia-Did you notice any change in handling? I dont care about road noise or decreased range but dont want it to affect the way the car feels. What brand did you go with?