Forums

Snow on bumper affecting radar and AP

Snow on bumper affecting radar and AP

There was light snow this morning here on Long Island, I was driving to JFK to pick up my son. After about 15 miles the AP shut down in spectacular fashion ( if it has happened to you, you know what I mean). There was a thin layer of ice on the bumper which I scraped off with my fingers. Repeat about every 10 miles for the drive. It really sucks to drive in traffic without AP.
Tesla recommends applying Rustolium Never Wet top coat to the bumper to prevent the snow from sticking to the bumper. My problem is that I can only find Never Wet for fabric. Does anyone know if it’s safe to use the fabric spray instead of the paint?

jamilworm | 3 December, 2019

I can't answer your question, but on a somewhat related note... I bet this is the problem Tesla hopes to solve with their laser glass cleaning patent. It almost certainly won't be used to clean windshields, but could very well be used to melt ice/snow off of sensors.

CharleyBC | 3 December, 2019

I’ve had this happen too. The first time I thought it was a car failure, until I saw the encrusted state of the front bumper at our next Supercharger stop.

“ Tesla recommends applying Rustolium Never Wet top coat to the bumper to prevent the snow from sticking to the bumper.” Can you cite a source for this? I’ve never heard that before.

lilbean | 3 December, 2019

From Tesla’s website:
Autopilot

To ensure optimal Autopilot performance, keep the sensors and radar on your car clear of snow, ice, mud and dirt.
You can use Rust-Oleum NeverWet Top Coat on the front fascia of your car to help prevent ice buildup on the radar sensors used by Autopilot.
Use Step 2 Top Coat only.
A hazy finish may be present after the coating is applied, but after ice resistance is no longer needed it can be easily wiped off.
Please refer to the ‘About Driver Assistance’ section of your Owner’s Manual for sensor location information.
https://www.tesla.com/support/winter-driving-tips

CharleyBC | 3 December, 2019

Thanks, @lilbean!

lilbean | 3 December, 2019

You’re welcome, @CharleyBC! :o)