Forums

Any Advantages for Teslas of Flyover Country?

Any Advantages for Teslas of Flyover Country?

Bond 007 | 6 December, 2019

OMG, they need to add five more Supercharger locations in that city. Looks like those poor chaps at the end will be stuck there for a day or so.

TabascoGuy | 6 December, 2019

It's funny that the letters "Fud" are in your link.

hcwhy | 6 December, 2019

Come on guys.....that's not a pretty picture no matter how you spin it. Bad for Tesla, bad for California, and bad for Thanksgiving.

Take a video of that same Supercharger location the other 364 days of the year.

hcwhy | 6 December, 2019

Actually, there's about 13 chargers and about 15 cars in line, so that's about a 15-20 minute wait....which isn't that terrible. I still would eliminate either Thanksgiving, the electric car, or California if it were up to me.I had a five minute golf cart ride.....now that's livin'!

Uncle Paul | 6 December, 2019

Picture taken on the Peak Thanksgiving travel, in the Peak traffic corridor between SF and LA, at the peak time of day for charging.

Not all that different than when we saw long gas lines (and fights) during the couple previous gas shortages.

A couple hours before, and a couple hours after this photo was taken the lines were gone.

See even more gassers waiting in line at a Costco station.

Tesla is mitigating this situation by a combination of More chargers, faster chargers and quicker charging vehicles.

People have the same issue when everyone wants to go to the most popular restaraunt or movie on a holiday weekend...long lines.

Uncle Paul +1

A new Cheesecake Factory restaurant opened here 3 weeks ago, we're still waiting for the wait times to go under 3 hours so we can visit.

Two months from now there won't be any wait times except for maybe Friday and Saturday evenings.

tew ms us | 7 December, 2019

That video was sent to me by friends who have ridden in my M3 several times - and liked it. The husband once asked his wife if he could have one.

They thought the video was funny. Explaining that the video was taken on the busiest travel weekend of the year and that the wait time was probably not too bad will not change their first impression.

“If you're explaining, you're losing.”
― Ronald Reagan

TranzNDance | 7 December, 2019

Transitioning to new ways of doing things isn't for everybody. Fortunately there are intrepid pioneers who keep us moving towards the future.

jordanrichard | 7 December, 2019

Ok, so now show the literal hundreds of news clips of people waiting in long lines waiting to get gas every time a major storm/hurricane hits FL. Show the videos of gas stations that ran out of gas during those times along with price gauging......

SCCRENDO | 7 December, 2019

The good news is that Tesla is getting people into Teslas. The bad news is that despite Elon building a great infrastructure he is not keeping up. It is time for others to step up to the plate and increase the build up of our charging infrastructure. Charging time is a potential Achilles heal in the competition against ICE. We need to make charging as easy and accessible

El Mirio | 7 December, 2019

Tesla won't be able to keep up to cover for a 1 day peak demand, even independent supercharger network will expand gradually based on Tesla competition sales, in other words the Thanksgiving dilemma will be here for a while until competition significantly increases EV sales.

Europe has the advantage that many people are apartment dwellers, plus have a higher population density, causing more traffic to independent charging networks.

In general leaving the house around holidays is a nightmare not matter what you do, traffic is always horrible.

SCCRENDO | 7 December, 2019

The gas station companies don’t have a problem providing excess capacity. Tesla should make sure it charges enough to cover costs and even make a profit..

Earl and Nagin ... | 8 December, 2019

The gas station and our nation's highways can't handle the severe peak/average problem posed by major holiday traffic in and between major metropolitan areas. In fact our highways can't even handle the average rush hour traffic in most places. Therefore, it really isn't realistic to expect Tesla to be able to completely and painlessly handle it.
This will remain a challenge to the move to sustainability since the haters and fearful will always have these spectacles to obsess over.
Over time, however, we'll get there.

SamO | 8 December, 2019

Do people need to breathe clean air in flyover country?

Mark K | 8 December, 2019

Well, one difference is that at peak times you can charge at home.

Can’t do that with gas.

BadgerErickson | 22 December, 2019

I will be charging free at work, via employer's solar.

I will be charging free at home, via a solar spill.

billtphotoman | 23 December, 2019

That looks like the line I see almost daily at the Costco gas pumps here in Austin with the difference being the Tesla drivers aren't stewing in ICE fumes while waiting. I think Tesla's MegaPack idea is a brilliant method of solving bursty SC congestion.

digithedd | 24 December, 2019

People could have charged more at the the stops prior to it in either direction and skipped it entirely if they'd attended to info on screen.

People could have charged more at the the stops prior to it in either direction and skipped it entirely if they'd attended to info on screen.

BadgerErickson | 24 December, 2019

@billtphotoman-I was thinking the same things.

Between the fumes, standing in puddles of diesel, and watching people smoke next to the pumps?