Forums

The "Sneak Peek - FSD" Discussion thread...

The "Sneak Peek - FSD" Discussion thread...

So, you probably have heard that Elon tweeted about HW3 owners getting a FSD sneak peek as part of the upcoming holiday firmware release. What do you think this "Peek" entails or is comprised of?
Let the discussion begin!

jamilworm | 22 December, 2019

One possibility is that this is door to door self driving with the same driver requirements as autopilot (hands on the wheel at all times). Although keeping hands on the wheel while it is trying to do a sharp turn would be very difficult.

twizzler | 22 December, 2019

A video of FSD.
He literally says sneak peek. Why would you expect anything more than a sneak peek?

stingray.don | 22 December, 2019

Visualizations for stop signs and stop lights.

A video of FSD would not require HW3 nor would it be a software update. The sneak peak is some sort of functionality.

M3phan | 22 December, 2019

And I assume it is a temporary peek?

bddaughe | 22 December, 2019

I agree with @stingray that it's some functionality and I would assume it's not temporary. Instead, I think he's saying we'll get a few features that will allow us to further see what's in store for FSD. As some have said, perhaps we visually will see more of what the car is "seeing" on our screen. Or perhaps we'll have the next step towards automated city driving. Exciting times!

jebinc | 22 December, 2019

Sharing this thread of consciousness one the subject...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4319782/

on* ^^^^

M3phan | 22 December, 2019

I’ll get excited once my HW is upgraded.

Yeah, it's reported that HW3 is requirement for the FSD "sneak peek" release coming shortly. Elon promised the upgrades would happen when there was a software that would use it, so did he distort the truth (again)?

Looks like it may start rolling out tonight!

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1208836576521814016

SamO | 22 December, 2019

Then followed up with a tweet that hardware upgrades would happen in Q1.

2019.40.50 just showed up on TeslaFi. Hopefully this is it!

Sarah R | 22 December, 2019

Damn! You got my hopes up! Just hit out of bed and ran downstairs to tell the car to check for a software update. No soup for me.

Just one instance showing up on TeslaFi. Very strange. Perhaps this is just the EAP release, and not the “sneak peek”?

Christmas is still a few days away, sonElon still has time to deliver the goods. Leave cookies and milk on top of your 3 when going to bed on 12/24....

stingray.don | 23 December, 2019

Release notes are posted over at TMC. Additional visualizations(as suspected), voice commands, phone improvements, camp mode.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/elon-confirms-that-the-fsd-sneak...

M3phan | 23 December, 2019

Thanks! So the sneak peek is indeed simply visualizations of signs and lights, like cones. Ok, I can live without that until my HW2.5 is updated.
LOVE the messages talk feature and the new voice commands, especially FINALLY voice commands for the climate control! That’s great news!

vmulla | 23 December, 2019

This info that's leaked could be any update why is this related to FSD?

vmulla | December 23, 2019
This info that's leaked could be any update why is this related to FSD?

@stingray.don,
I'm hoping that this is an update for all 3s that have HW3.
If the sneak peek is about visualization rather than actual driving assistance then it's bit of a let down considering the hype.
That said, the other changes in the update are appreciated, I hope we see them as a holiday gift from Tesla :)

WW_spb | 23 December, 2019

Voice control is nice addition

jebinc | 23 December, 2019

Recall, Elon also mentioned games and other things not shown in the partial release notes posted on TMC. So, there should be a few more, "gifts" to be put under the tree.

Sarah R | 23 December, 2019

Actually, knowing that the AI sees traffic control devices and understands what it's seeing is what gives the confidence to actually use it. I wonder if we're supposed to submit bug reports for the "false positives" and "false negatives" ... that is the things that it identifies as traffic control devices that are not, and there actual traffic control devices that it misses, respectively.

shank15217 | 23 December, 2019

How would it be a sneak peek of FSD of they just gave you FSD? I don't get the critics.

Joshan | 23 December, 2019

just like when XM radio gives you a "sneak peek" and turns it on for free for a week. They are just going to enable FSD for people who did not pay for it.

A couple of pictures of the new visualizations

https://mobile.twitter.com/tesla_raj/status/1209124143037214721

CharleyBC | 23 December, 2019

Thanks for the links, @vmulla and @stingray.don.

So for those of us still on HW2.5 (me), clearly we won't get the visualizations stingray showed us. But what about the rest of the release? The text messaging and voice commands would be nice--things I've long been looking for. Those don't seem like they'd require the HW3 oomph.

I would assume you would get everything but the visualizations with HW 2.5

Safe assumption. Bring on those new voice commands and the audible texts!
Also, bring on the HW3 retrofits already! ; )

@stingray.don +1

I expect the FSD sneak peek to be more than just visualization. I say it because I expect it to be significant enough to make fence sitters pull out their wallets and upgrade to FSD. Let's see people will start reporting what the update is about any time now.

FOMO won't be so bad if it's just visualization - I'd rather pay after things matured a bit more.

walnotr | 23 December, 2019

I’m wondering if the stoplight visualization is going to work with the funky Texas horizontal traffic lights. I guess I’ll find out when the FSD computer comes in.

jebinc | 23 December, 2019

In two days, TeslaFi only shows 1 install. With the v10 EA release, there were many more EA releases logged on TeslaFi. I wonder if Tesla cracked down on NDA violators since then. Either that or a problem with the EA rollout.

Or there are not that many EA folks with HW3?