Forums

Car Charging at Odd Times

Car Charging at Odd Times

At 3pm yesterday, I parked the car. I set it to be charged and conditioned for 5:30 am today.
The car started charging immediately. I had to stop the charging and re schedule it 3 times before it stopped charging and my phone app told me the car would be charged and conditioned by 530 am.

About 6 pm, my app notified me that my car was charging.

I stop the charging on the app. But the car kept going back to charging.

I had to go out to the car. I tried, to no avail, to schedule to have the car be ready for 530 am.

Finally, I just set the car to start charging at midnight, the start of off peak discount for me.

This is not the first time this has happened.
Has anyone else had these issues? Any solutions?

Sarah R | 23 December, 2019

I get similar. Except not as frequent. With Scheduled Departure set to 0430, I plug in when I get home. It will start to charge, and do so for a while, then stop. It sleeps until about 3:30 am, then finishes charging, and heats the cabin. I'm guessing that this behavior is by design.

Pg3ibew | 23 December, 2019

@Sarah, I wonder why. I am a but confused. I do this because I want the rebates for charging between midnite and 8 am. If it charges for some time before those hours, I am not getting my rebate.
And in the summer time, I lose my BONUS if I charge at those times. I am not sure if it is a glitch in the software.

derotam | 23 December, 2019

Doesn't it "start charging" in order to look at the input power available in order to make the schedule calculation?

derotam | 23 December, 2019

...the scheduled charging setup is all kinds of crazy right now. It is a good idea, just not implemented very well right now. At a minimum there should be a way to set a minimum start time and max end time.

It also gets sporting when you park your warm car but then the temperature goes down low enough that the car then has to waste power heating the battery first.

hokiegir1 | 23 December, 2019

I only tried it once and after an hour of charging (much longer than needed to calculate rate), I went out and went back to my normal scheduled start time method. We just pushed it back from 11pm (when TOU starts) to 1am. It still finishes earlier than I'd like, but less hassle.

WW_spb | 23 December, 2019

Hmm don't have that problem ever since I switched to no precondition on weekends. But I did have charging interruption last night for unknown reason and it still charged to set limit.

I do not precondition on weekends either

WW_spb | 23 December, 2019

Pg3ibew
How low was your battery when u connected it?

kevin_rf | 23 December, 2019

I had what the OP described happen once, decided it was a glitch and two thumb rebooted the car. The behavior stopped and it has not happened since.

I also have it set to not pre-condition on weekends.

Sarah R | 23 December, 2019

I have to set to "every day" because I work six days per week. I wish they'd give us a calendar-style app to schedule charging.

@WW, it was above 50 percent

@kevin, funny story here. I rebooted yesterday morning. Inwas having an internet connection issue.

Pg3ibew | 24 December, 2019

Last night, Monday, I set my charger to have the car charged and ready for this Morning. Just like I tried and failed to do Sunday.

Last night worked perfectly. Car was charged and ready at 530am.

The issue may have to due with doing it on Sunday. I had an issue once before on a Sunday. Any one else experience this?

Sarah R | 24 December, 2019

Come to think if it, the one time it failed got me was a Sunday night fit Monday morning departure.

Pg3ibew | 24 December, 2019

@Sarah, maybe we are on to something. I will see what happens for Thirsday Morning.
I know Tesla and Ford are different companies. But I had the PHEV Ford Fusion Energi. And I had similar weekend problems with charge and condition times.
Not being a computer software guy, I dont have the answers.