Forums

Use car as battery backup

Use car as battery backup

Has anyone checked out Ossiaco (https://www.ossiaco.com/) system for using your car for battery backup. After 6 PG&E shutdowns I checked into getting a powerwall but the cost was going to be around $18,500. I was told I needed 2 powerwalls which was $13,000 of the total cost. Since our cars have much larger batteries it seems to make since for their use for backup power. I know Tesla had a system to allow the original roadster to be used for battery backup. It appears that the Ossiaco system looks promising.

TeslaTap.com | 28 December, 2019

@rays427 - Not a lot of details on that site. I don't expect it will work with Tesla's vehicles. So far Tesla has not offered a V2G option as it would create more wear on the battery, increasing their warranty exposure. Those with free Supercharging, could charge up, go home and then drain the battery, adding even more expense to Tesla.

The batteries Tesla uses in the Powerwall are a different cell design, as the charging/discharging is electrically a bit different than how cells are used in the car. Similar but Tesla can optimize cells for each application.

I like the concept, but without some means to address extra expenses to Tesla, I'm sure Tesla will not allow it to work. I've also never heard of any system for the Roadster to provide it as house battery backup. Perhaps you're thinking of some other car?

rays427 | 28 December, 2019

Here is info on that the original Roadster had V2G. https://electrek.co/2018/07/05/tesla-vehicle-to-grid-technology-v2g-elon...

johncrab | 28 December, 2019

No.

TeslaTap.com | 28 December, 2019

@rays427 - The capability of V2G on the Roadster is different than actually offering the V2G feature, which Tesla never offered.

reed_lewis | 29 December, 2019

Yes What Elon said is that it was capable, but it was never released and usable by all.

I much prefer having the power walls in my house. They just work, and I do not have to do anything to have backup power always available. The negatives in using your car to power your house outweigh (in my opinion) the positives.

GoldAK47 | 29 December, 2019

Could be done for sure, but voids warranty.

tes-s | 29 December, 2019

Using a vehicle battery for a stationary application is not the right approach. Should use the battery optimized for the application.

It would be nice to be able to use the vehicle battery on an occasional basis, like when you lose power once a year or so. I do see where this would be a problem for the manufacturer warranty on the battery. Perhaps the manufacturer could limit the warranty based on total kWh discharged - just like some warranties are limited by miles driven.

products2009 | 29 December, 2019

Has anyone experience a chemical reaction to epoxy floor?

jordanrichard | 29 December, 2019

Flagging products2009.