Forums

Backing my M3 onto my service ramps

Backing my M3 onto my service ramps

Who'da thought this would be 50 times harder than a stick shift? It seems to be overly tricky and I'm quite nervous because of the car's varied responses to my attempts to back it onto my ramps. With the door closed I can't see as well so my wife has to give me progress reports. With the door open it frequently just quits responding and I have to enter park and restart. Modulating both pedals has various responses like vehicle on incline, removed power from motor, Reduced power to motor Hold doesn't work predictably and creep won't creep up hill backwards. What ultimately worked was 1. put on brake and hold it 2. put in reverse 3. touch accelerator until both pedals engaged and the both pedals warning just comes on then hold the accelerator there 4. release brake and hope car remains stationary on the ramp slope 5. press accelerator 'til car reverses and hold it steady 6. car will stop moving and roll down if you vary the accelerator and your progress will be restricted to about 6 inches per attempt. 7. go back to #1 and repeat 'til you reach the top of the ramp. Maybe I just need to be more trusting but I'm not in a trusting place yet with ~400HP under my foot and this disconnected drive-by-wire feeling. Has anyone found the secret to doing this? Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it. I need to clean out the rear under body panel and thought this would be easier than setting the rear up on jack stands.

kaffine | 31 December, 2019

Try and find an empty parking lot with a good hill and practice. I back my car up my driveway most days. It is a fairly steep drive and I back up until I have 12 inches between the Tesla and the other car. I can hold it there with just the accelerator then either quickly apply the brake or use my left foot on the brake. If you can find a good hill in an empty lot somewhere just practice holding the car using the accelerator.

Can you set a mirror up behind it and use the rear camera to see your progress without a spotter?

To me a manual transmission would be the easiest to put on ramps, always hated trying to put automatics on ramps. The Tesla is only a little bit more difficult than a manual trans and much easier than an automatic.

surfpearl | 31 December, 2019

I would attach two L-shaped cardboard "sticks" (akin to bicycle training wheels) to the rear fenders or the rear bumper and draw chalk guide lines on the concrete driveway parallel to the service ramps. Tilt the mirrors and watch the outermost parts of the "training wheels" on both sides follow the chalk guide lines as you slowly back up. The Hold is very reliable, trust it, so one-pedal driving in Chill mode should do it.

rob | 31 December, 2019

Would an external camera help? The WYZE cameras are cheap and you would have a realtime view while keeping your door closed.

lilbean | 31 December, 2019

I would just use a window cleaning sponge on the end of a pole if you really want to clean under the car. It doesn’t seem worth the risk.

EVRider | 31 December, 2019

The new Hold Mode makes backing up more difficult. Turn it off (set it to Roll) before doing any tricky reverse maneuvers.