Forums

What is your anxiety? Not range any more, but charger availability.

What is your anxiety? Not range any more, but charger availability.

What is your anxiety?
I can guarantee range to passengers, spouses (spice?), and the naysayers or interested friends, but I see it as a deal breaker that I cannot guarantee they wont sit waiting for a charger to become free.

GHammer | 19 January, 2020

In 100K of road trip travel, visiting over 400 different supercharger sites including the metro areas of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Philly, DC, I have only had to wait a few times and never more than 5 minutes.

Traffic is my anxiety, I've spent hundreds of times more time waiting in traffic than I have for charging.

Tesla2018 | 19 January, 2020

I'm more worried about getting a flat tire not having a spare than not being able to charge. I've had my car for about a year-and-a-half and I've only had to use a supercharger when I went on a trip at 500 miles away. I could have stopped at my brother's house in between charge their since he installed an outlet, but he wasn't home.
As long as you have home charging and don't plan on going more and 300 miles, there is nothing to worry about. I think the majority of people fall into the same category. However it would be interesting to see how many people use home charging versus how many people have to use a supercharger as their only option. I know a lot of people commute crazy distances or may have second homes that are far away, but I would rather move or get a new job than be sitting in a car for a few hours a day, or on weekends if I'm going to a place to ski or to a beach. I live 2 hours away from Disney and I've only been there once because the traffic and the wait is ridiculous, and I used to live 45 minutes away from New York City but would never go there for the same reason.

leo33 | 19 January, 2020

I have never had to wait on a supercharger, though I'm a fairly typical owner. (It's super easy and convenient for most to charge at home most of the time.) Bighorn would be the authority on supercharging since as far as I know, he has visited more superchargers than anyone else.

Ross1 | 19 January, 2020

What about Destination Chargers where we only have one?

M3phan | 19 January, 2020

The SC network is very good, I’ve never needed a DC. And I’ve never waited at a SC, but one time, and that was 10 mins.

Magic 8 Ball | 19 January, 2020

Deal breaker, I don't understand? What type of deal? Are you not an owner?

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 19 January, 2020

I wouldn’t say I’m anxious, but it irks me that I can’t work on my car. That, however, is well-tempered by the fact that I won’t need to!

andy.connor.e | 19 January, 2020

agreed. i dont know a thing about gasoline cars, and Teslas are built to maintain themselves. Only thing you have to do is charge it, because the car will actually schedule service automatically when theres a major issue.

casun | 19 January, 2020

why do you need to guarantee no wait at chargers?

Ross1 | 19 January, 2020

why do you need to guarantee no wait at chargers?

because my passengers might be on a timetable schedule or tired and want to get home?

Ross1 | 19 January, 2020

Deal breaker, I don't understand? What type of deal? Are you not an owner?

CT hasnt arrived yet . And I do have a DC, one stall

But I speak generally, in that I believe Range Anxiety is not the deal breaker it previously was now that car range is improved. However we are not all in USA, not all with access to SCs. And although various institutions and people like myself are putting in chargers, they might only be singles, slow, and risky to rely on.

A client just got a new Ioniq, and arrived home on empty. Scary.

WW_spb | 19 January, 2020

Lol

kevin_rf | 20 January, 2020

I think I worry more about parking lot damage and door dings more than anything else. It is just frustrating how crappy some people are in parking lots.

andy.connor.e | 20 January, 2020

If a passenger in my car is tired and i need to get gas, its not really up to them whether or not we stop. They will either be understanding or they're just upsetting themselves for no reason.

billtphotoman | 20 January, 2020

I wouldn't call it anxiety but I do have concerns about the destination chargers I use at hotels being ICEd, broken or in use by other EVs. For now, I just make sure I have enough range in reserve to make it to the nearest SC.

TranzNDance | 20 January, 2020

@ GHammer, great point about time in traffic. It just seems so normal that it's taken for granted. People believe going to a gas station on a regular basis is better than the occasional long charge on a road trip. Then, once one no longer has to go to a gas station, it seems abnormal to go out of one's way to refuel frequently, instead of waking up to a ~fully charged car on a regular basis.

Magic 8 Ball | 20 January, 2020

So if I remember correctly Ross is in AU, a non-owner, and can start new threads. Now Ross is FUDing here.

andy.connor.e | 20 January, 2020

Sounds like Ross is asking for owners take on the range anxiety issue, and if its actually an issue. Probably to get an idea of what to expect, feel free to correct me if im wrong.

jimglas | 20 January, 2020

I suppose you never waited at a gas station to fill your ICE?
If so, you are one of the few

apodbdrs | 20 January, 2020

I have made several (5 plus) 800-900 mile round trips and never had to worry about supercharger availability, except once in Las Vegas and that was because of time of day and location. On my F150 there are many times I go to Costco and 95% of the time there is a long line waiting to gas up.

I am about two miles from a supercharger and use it regularly because I still have 5,000 free miles from referrals. I check availability of chargers before I go to the supercharger. When charging the car if I decide to stay in the car I either watch a movie on Netflix or Hulu or surf the web while the car charges. Love this car!

jfaubl | 20 January, 2020

It's good to hear about superchargers rarely having waits. I'm taking a road trip spring break and I worry about waiting. My wife and 17 year old son don't want to take the Tesla because of this. There is no way i'm driving that much without autopilot.

I have been concerned the destination chargers at the hotels are already in use when I check in. I am close enough to the superchargers but it would be nice to wake up with a fill charge.

Bighorn | 20 January, 2020

@jfaubi
Totally depends on your route. Most of America has empty charging stations. I can go a month or two without seeing a Tesla at our local supercharger which I drive by all the time. Call ahead to destinations to see if they'll cone off the charger, especially at a rarely used one. I've yet to use one as designed in over 6 years.

lbowroom | 20 January, 2020

Ross, why does TESLA think you’re an owner?

@jfaubi, it is a different mind set and energy management, you don't have to fill up 100% every time you stop. Use the charging stops wisely, as place to get something to eat or go to the bathroom, etc. Sometimes on the road, I will only charge for 15-20 minutes, or a little more enough for my next charging stop plus. If I stop overnight, yes I will go to the nearest supercharger and get very close to 95 -100%, so the car is ready to go in the morning. The short stops also give my wife and me, time to stretch or change drivers, as both love to drive the Tesla.

@jfaubi, it is a different mind set and energy management, you don't have to fill up 100% every time you stop. Use the charging stops wisely, as place to get something to eat or go to the bathroom, etc. Sometimes on the road, I will only charge for 15-20 minutes, or a little more enough for my next charging stop plus. If I stop overnight, yes I will go to the nearest supercharger and get very close to 95 -100%, so the car is ready to go in the morning. The short stops also give my wife and me, time to stretch or change drivers, as both love to drive the Tesla.

Hint, on navigate, once you select the supercharger that you plan on going to within a 300 mile radius, select it on the screen map and it will show how many units are currently available. There are other ways to do the same, but this way the car can start the battery heating to accept a high charge.

There are many factors that affect range, so don't expect to get 300 miles for example if you are doing 80 mph. There are a bunch of discussions already on this forum, including this topic.

gparrot | 20 January, 2020

"select it on the screen map and it will show how many units are currently available."
Unfortunately, it is not up to date. I’ve been to a SuperCharger indicating 8 of 10mare available, and as I pull up within minutes, I got the last spot available. Vice Versa is also true: the SuperCharger shows only 2 available spots but when I get there, there are only two spots that are taken, 6 available.
So don’t take the information from the SuperCharger to be gospel.

yudansha™ | 20 January, 2020

TSLA

jallred | 20 January, 2020

@gparrot,

I guess it varies SC to SC. I was at a SC in NJ and for 15 minutes I watched the availability on the screen. Within seconds, it accurately showed the usage count as cars came and went.

At other places, I have seen the status show lower availability then was actually available. I have never seen the opposite, less available then displayed.

jfaubl | 20 January, 2020

@Bighorn. That's good advise about the destinations chargers. I will call the night before to remind them I need to use the charger. I'm not too worried about the superchargers being filled, but the push back from my family make me want it to be a smooth experience. I live in Chicagoland and when I check my map, I have never seen one of the chargers filled up.
@apodbdrs I'm only planning on going to 100% at the destination changers. I have done some shorter road trips and have been amazed at how quickly the superchargers will fill up to get you to the next charger or your destination.

KLemMer | 20 January, 2020

Availability (or rather unavailability) of the chargers is my biggest frustration. I’m talking about bays being occupied by ICE vehicles. Not so much where to find one; our Teslas are intelligent enough to guide us to the nearest supercharger, when needed.

jerrykham | 20 January, 2020

We're in the CA Bay Area and have taken several longish (not long to Bighorn!) trips up the coast as far as Seattle, down to San Diego, etc. I've only waited once - and that was in Monterey and it was for 3 minutes. I have had occasional "oh, all the spots are full" moments before seeing that there was 1 (and only 1) left. So I have indeed taken the last one on about 3 or 4 occasions. But the CA Bay Area and the San Diego area are really outliers. They certainly do have the problems people report of being full sometimes. But they aren't always full and like I said I have only actually had to wait one time.

GHammer | 20 January, 2020

"I’m talking about bays being occupied by ICE vehicles."

This too is a very rare occurrence.

Chewbacca | 22 January, 2020

They sell a lot of Teslas in Los Angeles. Simple math: more cars, potentially longer wait at superchargers. My last mobile service tech promised Tesla is working hard to catch up and build more stations.

LostInTx | 22 January, 2020

After 17 months of ownership, every anxiety I had when first receiving the car are alleviated - except one.

No spare tire. I get that other premium brands are also eliminating spares but this is the first vehicle I've owned without one. I'm not concerned in the city but rather while on trips. And I can't buy a spare for the truck because, well, my wife has turned "overpacking" into an art form. The trunk is full and the frunk is too small.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what are the collective experiences when a flat occurs whilst on the road?

bjrosen | 22 January, 2020

Winter range is an issue, 200 miles is not enough, I'll be much happier when the winter range has been boosted to the current summer range, i.e. 300 which will happen when the rated range hits 500. Supercharger availability is not a concern, I've never seen more than two other cars at an SC site. SC coverage is mostly good enough, there are a couple of places that I'd like to see them add Superchargers but I'm not constrained in anyway by the current map as long as do a mimimal amount of planning.

Sarah R | 22 January, 2020

@LostInTx Buy the Modern Spare kit. Put it in the trunk. Wife will have to deal with it.

I had a Volt for 4 years. No spare. I always felt like I was whistling past the graveyard; it was only a matter of time.

jallred | 22 January, 2020

I got a nail in a tire that made me semi-flat. 32 lbs. I hit the button in the car and talked to Tesla. They asked if I was safe, then if I was along the road. I was in my driveway. Since I wasn’t stranded she said somebody would come within 2 hours. Guy showed up before two hours, jacked the car, took off wheel, put his wheel on, and took mine away. Went to the service center 3 days later and they put my wheel back on.

Only cost was to patch tire, but it was expensive. About $70 I think.

I think depending on where you live, they will take good care of you.

kaushal | 22 January, 2020

Having had 2 major problems in first couple of months of ownership (steering wheel, door alignment) , my biggest worry is the start having mechanical issues after the warranty expires.Looking at how 2018 built cars seem to be having a lot more issues than 2019 built ones, I'm mildly concerned that 2019 built cars are not as good as 2020 and newer in terms of build quality.

creativeguy | 22 January, 2020

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what are the collective experiences when a flat occurs whilst on the road?

Just buy a tire inflator and possibly plug kit (not an inflator kit). For most "nails in tires" you can just inflate the tire and it will hold enough to drive to a repair shop. A plug kit will let you fix the tire as well as most garages will.

Joshan | 22 January, 2020

ever tried to get gas at Costco?

jfaubl | 22 January, 2020

I bought the tire patch kit from Tesla and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I52RG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin...

and I downloaded the instructions in case there is no cell reception.

I am not by a major city and I have no idea how long it would take them to get to some of the areas I drive.

raqball | 22 January, 2020

My only stress after 7 months of owning it is battery degradation over time... I've not seen any yet and I know the batter is under warranty but I still wonder how it's going to be fairing at year 5 or 6 ect......

andy | 22 January, 2020

No anxiety when driving - the Model 3 is all about chilling and a relaxing ride.

Car park dings - definitely. It’s a wide car. Hunting for suitable end spaces is a thing.

Charger availability is becoming an inconvenience. A number of strategic UK sites haven’t been delivered and some key ones are getting congested.

AlI believe I read that motorway service stations are being quoted millions, at times, for wayleave and other fees to get connected to the Grid.

If it were up to me then I’d pass legislation, just as we did in Victorian times and before when building the railways and canals. Connectivity to the Grid should be easily available.

Ross1 | 22 January, 2020

Because of paint repair costs and panel damage, I find the Cybertruck most appealing for ding proof and no paint.
But I would swap my order for a smaller Cyber if they become available first.

andy.connor.e | 22 January, 2020

Same with me @Ross

Big_Ed | 22 January, 2020

I'm 55 and never been in an accident. However, every car I've ever owned has acquired cosmetic road rash of one form or another, never worth the $$ to fix but always enough to look crappy and aggravate me. Hoping the sensors and cameras keep me clear of objects while parking, but yeah it's an anxiety with this one.

Big_Ed | 22 January, 2020

"A plug kit will let you fix the tire as well as most garages will."

The industry recommendation is that you replace the plug with a patch as soon as possible. Some of that is lawyers being lawyers, but the reasoning is sound. I've plugged many a tire and driven on it until it wore out, but on a high performance car like a Tesla that's probably not prudent.

casun | 23 January, 2020

can you guarantee that you won’t start any more silly threads like this one?

Ross1 | 23 January, 2020

Is it starting threads that is the problem, or continuing them?
I must admit there are some silly responses on here, well, maybe just the one above ^^^

Pages