Forums

Adjacent lane speed

Adjacent lane speed

steve | 23 February, 2020

After the release that installed this feature I have had the problem of coming up on cars driving slower in the adjacent lane and my car will apply the brakes to slow my speed by at least 10 mph suddenly. Not cool when I have a line of cars behind me all traveling at 65 mph.
This seems like a hazard and I can't find a way to turn it off.
Has anyone heard of any planned changes to this function?
Steve

Harriscott | 23 February, 2020

You can press on the accelerator to keep up your speed. You could contact Tesla about his. Presumably the car should slow down more gradually in your scenario, which would be better than disabling this safety feature.

Yodrak. | 23 February, 2020

"I have had the problem of coming up on cars driving slower in the adjacent lane and my car will apply the brakes to slow my speed by at least 10 mph suddenly. Not cool when I have a line of cars behind me all traveling at 65 mph."

Almost daily on my commute I see a situation where one or two lanes on the highway have slowed significantly as compared to other lanes due some situation up ahead. And every time I cars that suddenly pop out of the slower lane into the adjacent faster lane causing drivers in the faster lane to have to slam on their brakes.

When that happens, is it safer to be traveling at full speed or 10 miles per hour slower? I do know that anyone coming up behind you at a slower rate isn't going to try to move over into that slower lane, they are going to slow down to your speed. We hope.

One of the conundrums that self driving is going to have to figure out.

Harriscott | 23 February, 2020

I confess that my Tesla is great at popping out of the slower lane :-) No need for anyone to slam on a brake.

Yodrak. | 23 February, 2020

"I confess that my Tesla is great at popping out of the slower lane :-)"

I know what you mean, but there's still validity in that old saying, "out of the frying pan, into the fire". When you "pop" you may be safely ahead of the car newly behind you, but up the rear end of the car newly in front of you. Especially if that car newly in front of you is the OP's Tesla that just slowed down. :-)

There are a couple of threads going that have a common theme - some of Tesla's auto-pilot features are too conservative, making them unsafe. Unsafe, that is, in situations where surrounding drivers are driving aggressively. Good points, because there are a lot of aggressive drivers on the roads. (Including drivers who pop out of a slower lane into a faster lane, not all of whom are driving a Tesla or other EV).

Creating self-driving vehicles is not just a technical challenge, it's a human behavior challenge.

EVRider | 24 February, 2020

I don’t know why Tesla implemented this “feature”, and I hope they do provide a way to turn it off. Why should my car slow down when passing slower traffic in the next lane? What happens if I’m in an HOV or express lane and the cars in the next lane are barely moving?

Techy James | 24 February, 2020

I have noticed two situations where this slowing for adjacent lane behavior. First is where the adjacent lane is slowed due to situation ahead on the road. In this situation the auto slowing by few miles to be prepared for a sudden car jumping in front of you is valid.
The other situation, is a Semi or other large slow accelerating vehicle has just merged to the lane to your right and is considerably slower at accelerating. There is no traffic ahead of the vehicle, but we have the same situation the car slows for no valid reason. In this case I normally hit accelerator as I was expecting the car to slow down.