Forums

Trans Canada in 73 hours in M3, Fu**ing Amazing!

Trans Canada in 73 hours in M3, Fu**ing Amazing!

Watching these guys making history with their M3 was amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8XhUw7p9W0

Magic 8 Ball | 14 March, 2020

Awesome post Tesla-David, thanks!

Was that the kessel run?

Bighorn | 14 March, 2020

I just went from Deep River, ON to the west coast. Not that big a deal except for the mountain passes.

Sparky | 14 March, 2020

Great work guys!

Bighorn | 14 March, 2020

One if the guys delayed the trip because of severe flu and subsequent pneumonia. Did he ever get tested for CV?

Mike83 | 14 March, 2020

Thanks Tesla-David. Teslas are fun and adventures are easy.
A few days ago we stopped at Big Sur, Ventana to supercharge. Great food and what a view. Putting on many fun miles

sbeggs | 15 March, 2020

I'll have what @Mike83's having!

FISHEV | 15 March, 2020

Here's a Taycan owner doing a huge road trip Maine across Canada and down through US.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taking-one-lap-of-the-country-...

jordanrichard | 15 March, 2020

FISHEV, what’s that got to do with a Model 3 establishing a record for long distance travel across Canad? Now if the subject was EVs driving long distances, they your contribution would be relevant.

Magic 8 Ball | 15 March, 2020

FISHEV is evil with is anti-Tesla rhetoric.

gparrot | 15 March, 2020

FISHEV, thanks for that thread. It’s an interesting read and I’m only up to page 11. What I notice most is that the Taycan forum seems to be more civilized than this one, with no bashing per fanbois.

JAD | 15 March, 2020

Nice. I wonder were the taycan would have charged...

Mike83 | 15 March, 2020

@sbeggs The food was gourmet. A very classy place and the most friendly service I have ever seen. We'll stop there again. And the views were so amazing I didn't need to check my smart phone except when I had to move the car.

FISHEV | 15 March, 2020

“FISHEV, what’s that got to do with a Model 3 establishing a record for long distance travel across Canad?”

It shows that a Tesla could do the same run of 10,000 miles with no SC’s and this in cold weather. Taycan’s real world range looks to be about 240 miles. That was pretty gutsy taking an out of the box Porsche EV on that kind of trip.

jallred | 15 March, 2020

What I notice most is that the Taycan forum seems to be more civilized than this one, with no bashing per fanbois.-gparrot

What I notice most is that there is no bashing by anti fanboys. Makes you think about who is crashing the party.

jallred | 15 March, 2020

I think it is great for taycan fans to get together and talk about the car and the trip. If anybody from here or from anywhere goes there and bashes the car or starts up conversation about how a Tesla could do it better is as much a jerk as those that do it here.

And I bet that if anybody did that they would get defensive.

hokiegir1 | 15 March, 2020

Taycan: 10k miles, 6 weeks.

Model 3: ~4000 miles, 3 days

Yup. Totally equivalent.

Orthopod | 15 March, 2020

Omg, I was planning to try the TransCanada in couple months

Will be fun

These Taycan forums seems pretty civilized

“ I’m looking forward to keeping up with this thread
good luck and enjoy
HK111
HK111
First Name
Henrik
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes GL 320, Mercedes V 4Matic
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Super cool move! But you are missing Pike's Peak :D!
Ron R
First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Best of luck on the trip! Great to see you're putting the Taycan through it's paces...
epirali
First Name
Edmund
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Wow what an epic trip, you will have so much fun. Definitely will be following along. Good luck with charging stops, as I posted elsewhere I am just finding EA not to be at all reliable, let’s hope you have much better luck.
So...many...EVs...
First time Porsche owner due to Taycan.
Cpoarchy
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s on order
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Found this, good read.
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/my-tesla-road-trip-hacks-after-driving-th...
Friedrich
Friedrich
First Name
Friedrich
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Cpoarchy said:
Found this, good read.
I wish he would have written more details about finding charging stations. What kind of range did he get? Any mechanical issues? Did he plan trip around locations of charging stations, or did he have to drive detours to find superchargers?
No showers???? Camping in car????

Well.....when I was 20, I took a road trip a 1971 VW pop top Camper from Columbia South Carolina to Texas to Mexico City Mexico to Veracruz, to the Yucatan to Belize, into the war zones of Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Honduras again, El Salvador, Mexico City (for 6 more months) then to Los Angeles, all n 1985 in the middle of Ronald Reagan's central American contra wars and civil wars. Twice had machines guns pointed at me. Bathing only in rivers and lakes......I could do that at 20, but not now! I guess an adventure like that would NOT be possible with an EV
Like Reactions: louv, Rollep and HK111
struther
First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Amazing! I want to do a cross-Canada trip and will be very anxious to hear about your experience with Petro-Canada charging stations. They say they have a built a coast-to-coast system.
Like Reactions: louv
Friedrich
Friedrich
First Name
Friedrich
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
louv said:
Today I’m beginning a crazy roadtrip.

I’ll be driving my Taycan Turbo on a lap around the country. Well, technically through two countries. I’m starting in Maine, headed north into Canada, then west to Vancouver, south to San Diego, east to Key West, then north again to Maine.

There will be many stops along the way to visit friends and family. And many more stops for electrons.

If all goes as planned, I’ll cover about 10,000 miles and be on the road for sixweeks.

Follow along... it’s going to be an adventure.
6AC1D430-D423-4AA4-83A3-DEF0D8B2AEF1.png
can you produce a map with your planned charging stations?
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Congrats! Sounds like awesome fun. I would suggest letting EA know so you can get some extra support if you need it. Maybe they will even sponsor part of the trip or at least meet you somewhere and get some EA swag or something.

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great time!
Like Reactions: wreighven2015
Administrator
Reaction score
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Safe travels and thank you for sharing your journey with us! Enjoy! :clap:
OP
louv
louv
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
I had a lovely drive from Portland to Coaticook. Hello Canada! Hello Canadian Border guardians who were enamored of the car.

I’m currently hooked up to my first DC Charging station.

The car’s Nav didn’t know about this charging station. I had to find it online, and type in the address by hand.

And now, once again the Nav has forgotten it’s an EV and doesn’t allow me to search for Charging stations. [bug]

Now having troubles authorizing a transfer of funds to an RFID card that should make payments for charging easier. Sigh. Technology.

And the charging station (or the car) hit an error at 25% full and shut off. Had to restart the session.

2nd try... charging fine. At 85%... going to grab lunch.”

These Taycan forums seems pretty civilized

“ I’m looking forward to keeping up with this thread
good luck and enjoy
HK111
HK111
First Name
Henrik
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes GL 320, Mercedes V 4Matic
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Super cool move! But you are missing Pike's Peak :D!
Ron R
First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Best of luck on the trip! Great to see you're putting the Taycan through it's paces...
epirali
First Name
Edmund
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Wow what an epic trip, you will have so much fun. Definitely will be following along. Good luck with charging stops, as I posted elsewhere I am just finding EA not to be at all reliable, let’s hope you have much better luck.
So...many...EVs...
First time Porsche owner due to Taycan.
Cpoarchy
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s on order
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Found this, good read.
Friedrich
Friedrich
First Name
Friedrich
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Cpoarchy said:
Found this, good read.
I wish he would have written more details about finding charging stations. What kind of range did he get? Any mechanical issues? Did he plan trip around locations of charging stations, or did he have to drive detours to find superchargers?
No showers???? Camping in car????

Well.....when I was 20, I took a road trip a 1971 VW pop top Camper from Columbia South Carolina to Texas to Mexico City Mexico to Veracruz, to the Yucatan to Belize, into the war zones of Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Honduras again, El Salvador, Mexico City (for 6 more months) then to Los Angeles, all n 1985 in the middle of Ronald Reagan's central American contra wars and civil wars. Twice had machines guns pointed at me. Bathing only in rivers and lakes......I could do that at 20, but not now! I guess an adventure like that would NOT be possible with an EV
Like Reactions: louv, Rollep and HK111
struther
First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Amazing! I want to do a cross-Canada trip and will be very anxious to hear about your experience with Petro-Canada charging stations. They say they have a built a coast-to-coast system.
Like Reactions: louv
Friedrich
Friedrich
First Name
Friedrich
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
louv said:
Today I’m beginning a crazy roadtrip.

I’ll be driving my Taycan Turbo on a lap around the country. Well, technically through two countries. I’m starting in Maine, headed north into Canada, then west to Vancouver, south to San Diego, east to Key West, then north again to Maine.

There will be many stops along the way to visit friends and family. And many more stops for electrons.

If all goes as planned, I’ll cover about 10,000 miles and be on the road for sixweeks.

Follow along... it’s going to be an adventure.
6AC1D430-D423-4AA4-83A3-DEF0D8B2AEF1.png
can you produce a map with your planned charging stations?
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Congrats! Sounds like awesome fun. I would suggest letting EA know so you can get some extra support if you need it. Maybe they will even sponsor part of the trip or at least meet you somewhere and get some EA swag or something.

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great time!
Like Reactions: wreighven2015
Administrator
Reaction score
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
Safe travels and thank you for sharing your journey with us! Enjoy! :clap:
OP
louv
louv
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Jan 29, 2020
I had a lovely drive from Portland to Coaticook. Hello Canada! Hello Canadian Border guardians who were enamored of the car.

I’m currently hooked up to my first DC Charging station.

The car’s Nav didn’t know about this charging station. I had to find it online, and type in the address by hand.

And now, once again the Nav has forgotten it’s an EV and doesn’t allow me to search for Charging stations. [bug]

Now having troubles authorizing a transfer of funds to an RFID card that should make payments for charging easier. Sigh. Technology.

And the charging station (or the car) hit an error at 25% full and shut off. Had to restart the session.

2nd try... charging fine. At 85%... going to grab lunch.”

Magic 8 Ball | 15 March, 2020

FISHEV is EVIL, trouble is sure to find him soon.

F.vanalstine | 15 March, 2020

Me, 4000 miles solo trip in 6 driving days last August in my LR RWD Model 3. No big deal and I am 81 years old.

Taycan average was 240 miles per day. At that rate it would have taken me over 16 days and tripled my motel and food cost.

Advantage Tesla big time.

FISHEV | 15 March, 2020

"Taycan: 10k miles, 6 weeks. Model 3: ~4000 miles, 3 days Yup. Totally equivalent."

Certainly the Taycan's is more impressive vs. the Pony Express stunt drive for YouTube revenue by the Model 3. Frankly I'm surprised he was able to do it with the existing public chargers in some of those areas.

Bighorn | 15 March, 2020

Just finishing 12,555 miles in 19 days including much of the TCH. I followed Don’s story early on but not while on the road. His real world maximum theoretical range in Canada was right around 180 miles, so 150 realistically. He ran into technical difficulties where his car would not charge at the generic CCS chargers and Porsche had to rescue him. Seems like a great guy and he slept in the car, so he had my immediate respect.

FISHEV | 15 March, 2020

"Taycan average was 240 miles per day. At that rate it would have taken me over 16 days and tripled my motel and food cost."

Kind of like a SR RWD Model 3.

And lets face it, if you are buying $231k cars, your time is probably your own.

And that's getting 240 miles a day IN WINTER, in a car that's mission is GO FAST vs. efficiency.

jallred | 15 March, 2020

shame they crippled the go fast car by making it a four door sedan.

sbeggs | 15 March, 2020

Thanks, @Mike83!

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 15 March, 2020

@jallred
“ shame they crippled the go fast car by making it a four door sedan.”

Shame the go fast car got walloped at the Ring by the efficient car.

FISHEV | 15 March, 2020

" No big deal and I am 81 years old."

81 us the new 61.

Tesla2018 | 15 March, 2020

Shortest US Atlantic to Pacific route I could find is from Jacksonville FL to San Diego. Don't know why they don't use this instead of starting from NYC unless that they use the Gumball Rally points as the US standard.
When I retire I will try to see if I can make the record for solo non stop trip. All the records seem to have multiple drivers. I once went from NJ to FL and back leaving on a Thursday morning and getting back on a Friday night.

billtphotoman | 16 March, 2020

Cool story and something my much younger self would have liked to attempt if Teslas had been around back then. The closest I came to anything like that was San Antonio to Miami non-stop in my 1976 Buick Estate wagon that got 10 MPG out of its 200 HP 455 cubic inch engine and overheated at any speed over 60. I love the progress of technology and people who are willing to push its limits.

FISHEV | 16 March, 2020

"shame they crippled the go fast car by making it a four door sedan."

Yeah...kind of like Tesla and Model S,3,X,Y.

But they all go like bats out of Trump Towers so no apparent penalty for the four doors. With Taycan's real world range of 240, 20% more than EPA, imagine the range if they didn't have those TIRES. The Panamera at work, the tires are almost full width of the car.

I believe the Taycan has two gears which may also account for it's much greater range than rated EPA on the 10,000 mile trek.

jallred | 16 March, 2020

Yeah...kind of like Tesla and Model S,3,X,Y. -Jack

Except they were designed to be the efficient cars. Not like the Porsche claim. See you left roadster out of the list....

You don’t own or drive a taycan, so you should abide by your own rules and stop talking about it.

lbowroom | 16 March, 2020

Why hasn’t security removed this heckler yet?

Magic 8 Ball | 16 March, 2020

Some people at Tesla find him "entertaining" they are evil also.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 16 March, 2020

Magic 8 Ball | March 16, 2020
Some people at Tesla find him "entertaining" they are evil also.

Hmm. Maybe they view him as a useful idiot (where most of us have concluded he isn’t useful). For 3-4 years he’s been lobbing baseless claims, and they’re always rejected with factual analysis. That’s telling. And it’s only caused him to amp up the absurdity, which I think peaked when he dismissed the value of a forecasting tool because it was too accurate. That’s as transparent as it gets. And even casual readers can pick up on it, as well as the refutation, and actually gain knowledge and confidence in the vehicles.

Then again, more likely is that they view these forums as a wasteland and a mistake they aren’t yet willing to correct (by deleting them).

FISHEV | 16 March, 2020

"Except they were designed to be the efficient cars."

Not really. For a real efficient EV, you'd cut way back on the accel and power to Prius level. Tesla's big selling point has always been GO FAST per Musk's plan and that costs efficiency. All good, that's why we purchased them and why Tesla started selling to high income consumers and still does pretty much as do most EV variants.

Magic 8 Ball | 16 March, 2020

I keep trying to sell myself on the idea that there is a higher function (like a turing test) associated with this place. I have long postulated that some of the trolls are devils advocates to bait for arguments that are later used for Tesla good. The useful idiot does not fit the model, he is just an idiot.

When it comes to the 'useful idiot' the story is they booted him when he was posting as EaglesPDX and he bought himself back on with a car purchase.

The forum is definitely in Tesla's basement.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 17 March, 2020

@eagles
“ Not really. For a real efficient EV, you'd cut way back on the accel and power to Prius level”

If only there were a way I, the driver, could do that. Oh wait, there is! Did you get the binary pedal option?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/topten.jsp?year=2020&action=All

jallred | 17 March, 2020

Not really. For a real efficient EV, you'd cut way back on the accel and power to Prius level. Tesla's big selling point has always been GO FAST per Musk's plan and that costs efficiency. All good, that's why we purchased them and why Tesla started selling to high income consumers and still does pretty much as do most EV variants. -jack

In paragraph you demonstrate your total lack of understanding of what a Tesla is all about.

If you do a requirements analysis of the Model 3, you will find that Tesla has included orthogonal requirements, requirements that oppose each other even, and managed to optimize the car in such a way to meet them all.

The Model 3 is the most efficient car currently, safest car ever made, at the same time one of the quickest sedans, low maintenance, long range, low cost.

Almost all competitors fall short of the 3 in multiple categories. Many of them in all categories.
Guys like you like to address one single parameter at a time to try to show the inferiority of the Model 3.

Compare the 3 to the Taycan. 3 wins on efficiency, safety, range and cost. Taycan wins on speed. Probably a tie on maintenance. And for 99% of drivers, they will never drive the car in a way that the speed difference is noticeable.

Tesla excels in having the longest vector in the multidimensional space of all these requirements. Nobody comes anywhere close.

Model 3 was designed for efficiency and speed and cost and range and maintenance. It isn't a one requirement only deal for Tesla like it is for Porsche.

FISHEV | 17 March, 2020

"The Model 3 is the most efficient car currently, safest car ever made, at the same time one of the quickest sedans, low maintenance, long range, low cost."

Actually none of those are true but you missed the point. A Model 3 would be more efficient, more Wh/mi if motors were smaller, acceleration less.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 17 March, 2020

@seab ass
“ A Model 3 would be more efficient, more Wh/mi if motors were smaller,”

Kindly share this relationship between electric motor size and efficiency.

Also you have stated countless times* Wh/mi is a measure of range. What made you now recognize it as efficiency?

https://web.archive.org/save/https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/model...
https://i.imgur.com/nSJcCbq.png
https://i.imgur.com/aYXui2k.png
https://i.imgur.com/PBrz5Co.png
https://i.imgur.com/9eN1JfR.png
Etc

spuzzz123 | 18 March, 2020

“gparrot | March 15, 2020
...What I notice most is that the Taycan forum seems to be more civilized than this one”

The Taycan isn’t disrupting/threatening multiple industries. No need for hired guns there.

FISHEV | 18 March, 2020

"The Taycan isn’t disrupting/threatening multiple industries."

Ah...nothing like buzzwords.

It is governments in EU and China and in US to much lesser extent, REQUIRING EV'S that is causing car mfg to build EV's. Lacking that EVs would remain a small niche market as the customer demand is weak.

jallred | 18 March, 2020

Actually none of those are true but you missed the point.-jack

Actually they are true. And you never knew the point to begin with, so you can't really be the one pointing out the point.

What car is more efficient? What car is safer?

You don't know the units of efficiency or even what efficiency means, how can you talk about efficiency?

And governments requiring EVs did not cause Tesla to mfg them. Show me a single government mandate to require EVs that pre dates Tesla.

jallred | 18 March, 2020

A Model 3 would be more efficient, more Wh/mi if motors were smaller, acceleration less. -jack

Didn't notice this.

Seems like a typical thing for you, you state as fact the exact opposite of fact.