Forums

Cleaning interior

Cleaning interior

Since I am a senior citizen and am being cautious right now, what would be safe to use to disinfect the steering wheel and seating surfaces without damaging them?

Bighorn | 19 March, 2020

Is somebody else driving your car?

yudansha™ | 19 March, 2020

Stay home.

jlimiero | 19 March, 2020

Grab a Clorox wipe and clean it that way. Give it a few minutes then wipe it all with a damp cloth to remove any residue. The seats are vinyl and shouldn't be affected. The steering wheel is either leather or vinyl depending on production date. Wiping off the Clorox should help remove anything that could harm the surfaces.

mike | 19 March, 2020

Bighorn: No, but i get in and out of it and touch things while I'm out. yudsansha: You have way too much time on your hands. jlimiero: Thanks for actually answering my question intelligently and completely.

Magic 8 Ball | 19 March, 2020

If it is only you in the car you are worried that you carry it into the car and then get it by touching something in the car?

I guess I may be missing something here?

EAPme | 19 March, 2020

Sounds like you have your mind made up. I'd rather focus on disinfecting/washing hands immediately on entry.

Removing chlorine residue is important, but I'm really not sure how long your seat and steering wheel will hold up over time. I suppose you'll find out.

mike | 19 March, 2020

If I get out of the car and touch an infected surface and then get back into the car and drive home, I may have transferred the virus to the steering wheel. I can wash my hands after I get out of the car, but I want to be able to disinfect the car so I don't infect my wife or myself the next time I drive the car.

vmulla | 19 March, 2020

@Mike I’ve used disinfecting wipes quite a bit on my car with no ill effects. The material is extremely resilient. See this from 2:25 mark https://youtu.be/d8_CiYYkP-8

Magic 8 Ball | 19 March, 2020

Before you enter the car put a few drops of hand sanitizer on your hands and wipe them.

brscpo | 19 March, 2020

@Mike - You are doing the right thing to be concerned and take actions to clean/disinfect.

Disinfecting wipes work well. Remember to wipe down your cell phone as well.

I have worked in healthcare for almost 40 years. You will never hear me criticize someone for wanting to take steps to protect themselves.

RES IPSA | 19 March, 2020

Isopropyl alcohol works well. Try to get 70% or higher. I do that twice a week every week of the year.

rob | 19 March, 2020

@mike - these are great questions. Thanks for asking.

@vmulla - good to know. Thanks. I'm mainly concerned about the steering wheel.

I'm sliding into OCD and laughing about it...

Muccik | 19 March, 2020

Mike I am new to this forum and completely understood what you meant as soon as you wrote it. It seems that some people obviously don’t touch anything else outside of their car before getting back into it based on their responses. Very rude at a time like this. Stay healthy Mike and all others that had intelligent responses!!!!

M3phan | 19 March, 2020

From all that we’ve been told and all that we can read, the virus only stays alive up to five days on a surface that is hard. I personally wouldn’t use a bleach type product anywhere on the interior, eventually contaminated surfaces will be decontaminated with time.

yudansha™ | 19 March, 2020

Portable UV light.

Bighorn | 19 March, 2020

Washing ones hands is one and two orders of magnitude easier to disinfect than the locations and surface area of things you contaminate by touching.

howard | 19 March, 2020

M3phan | March 19, 2020
eventually contaminated surfaces will be decontaminated with time (up to five days).

Go run an errand, make sure not to touch your face while out and about. Get home, plug the car in, open garage door with disposable tissue, wash hands thoroughly and don’t drive again for at least 5 days while your car self disinfects.

M3phan | 19 March, 2020

@ howard, hahaha! Nice.

michaellewisvaughn | 20 March, 2020

Maybe we could have in addition to JoeMode and CampMode -- a new feature: HowardHughesMode

M3phan | 20 March, 2020

“The new Car Condom, from Ronco! Protect yourself and your musky investment.”

Magic 8 Ball | 20 March, 2020

Car condom was pitched on Shark Tank, for reals.

M3phan | 20 March, 2020

HAHAHAHA. Of course, Shark Tank.
Well, I’ll be:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4T8CEBjwdA

Magic 8 Ball | 20 March, 2020

If I remember correctly Mr. Wonderful actually said: "so it's condom for cars..."

M3phan | 20 March, 2020

Kevin never lacks in the quick quips dept.

yudansha™ | 20 March, 2020

Wear gloves in the car, separate gloves shopping.

ODWms | 22 March, 2020

What no shrink wrap? Losers!