Forums

Amber alert alert

Amber alert alert

Out for a drive the other day when I experienced a sudden alarm at air-raid volume (I exaggerate for comic effect but only slightly). It definitely jolted me big-time, and I pulled over as fast as I could, assuming something was terribly wrong.

It turns out it was my phone picking up an amber public safety alert, this one encouraging people to practice social distancing while walking on the Malibu Pier, about 25 miles away from me.

So, if you have a cell phone that you've told to pass on amber/public safety alert, you might want to be aware that it can go off with a volume very different than your regular phone ring volume level.

So far I haven't found any option on my iPhone 10 to turn it down, only off or on, which is a bit frustrating. I'd rather not have another near heart attack, but I also do want to be aware of any real local emergencies.

Anyone ever dealt with this? Is there a trick that I'm missing?

bddaughe | 25 March, 2020

You can turn them off at Settings -> Notifications -> scroll to bottom to find AMBER alerts, Emergency Alerts, and Public Safety Alerts. Other than that, no way to dictate how it notifies that I'm aware of

andy.connor.e | 25 March, 2020

you cant silence it. But i think you can put it on vibrate only. Mine has never made a ringtone noise.

fazman | 25 March, 2020

I have 2 of the 3 available alert settings turned off, zi’ll knkw to check my phone when i hear everyone elses phone alerts going off

bddaughe | 26 March, 2020

Andy, no you can't mute it. It even alerts in do not disturb mode, so it's pretty intrusive. Only option is to disable it.

andy.connor.e | 26 March, 2020

Ya thats annoying. But for the sake of the purpose of amber alerts, i get it.....

FISHEV | 26 March, 2020

"But for the sake of the purpose of amber alerts, i get it....."

Amber alerts are parental custody disputes and should not be intrusive. Public safety and Emergency need to come through no matter what. The fire, earthquake, tsnami...you need to WAKE UP. People turning it necessary alarms for the phony John Walsh Amber Alert is why Amber Alert needs to completely optional.

Magic 8 Ball | 26 March, 2020

"Amber alerts are parental custody disputes and should not be intrusive"

Another falsehood.

My MIL went on a runner at 82 years old (her parents had been dead for years). Amber alert, two search teams with dogs, helicopters and Amber Alerts helped to find her.

FISHEV | 26 March, 2020

"Amber alert, two search teams with dogs, helicopters and Amber Alerts helped to find her."

Not the Amber Alert. That needs to be separate from real public safety emergencies or, as we see, people turn it off.

Amber alerts are issued for anyone missing deemed to be in danger here. When we saw the amber alert on TV, for her, we were set straight on how it is actually being used.

Correction: They now have Silver Alerts for missing seniors, when our MIL went missing the Silver Alert was not yet implemented.

FISHEV is EVIL with his misinformation.

Amber alerts should be intrusive because the child is deemed to be in danger. Amber alerts are not limited to just custody disputes.

EaglesPDX has an opinion of everything. Anything that people discuss he is an expert on.

FISHEV | 26 March, 2020

"EaglesPDX has an opinion of everything"

@Magic 8 Ball admitted he was one of the many EaglePDX's and he got suspended under that name a few years ago. The delete gang created a baker's dozen EaglesPDX via name change and second accounts. Here is JUST ONE example showing no no it ain't be babe.

https://imgur.com/3BepvON

https://youtu.be/YoagldK69U0?t=8

FISHEV | 26 March, 2020

Should move this to General and rename. Amber Alert. @Magic8Ball kidnapped @EaglesPDX. Look for white Model 3 Tesla license plate MAG8BL.

Nope never made any such admission because I never posted using the EaglesPDX name. The EVIL FISHEV was booted from this forum when he was posting using the EaglesPDX username, that is a fact.

FISHEV | 26 March, 2020

Actually should be @andy.connor.e (non Tesla owning, non-Tesla driving adviser to Tesla owners) hijacked Amber Alert threat.

FISHEV | 26 March, 2020

Amber Alert for the Amber Alert.

That would be an honor

yudansha™ | 26 March, 2020

I thought M8B's model 3 is red. Hmm

Big_Ed | 26 March, 2020

Not to be confused with an Amber Heard Alert, which Elon has some hands on experience with.

FISHEV | 27 March, 2020

yudansha™ | March 26, 2020 I thought M8B's model 3 is red.

Poetic license.