Forums

To leave your Tesla on charger over night or to disconnect it before going to bed.

To leave your Tesla on charger over night or to disconnect it before going to bed.

I know there’s a lot of threads on the topic of best charge practice, battery drain, degradation, etc.

Ive always left my MS 2014 P85D on charger overnight. It now has 120k miles and getting 200-202 miles of charge at 90%. I think original range was 260.

For my 2019 MX Raven, I’ve recently gone to disconnecting it once it’s charged to 90% and not leave it over night. It seems to me that it drains less actually if it sits now for a few days not tethered to the charge cable.

Could just be placebo, but I’m changing the method for both cars to disconnect before bed.

What do you do? Leave it or disconnect before bed?

TeslaTap.com | 18 April, 2020

I leave it connected. Not worth the bother and not sure it saves any power. If disconnecting does save a few watts, I expect it's less than a couple of dollars/year.

Note that when charging reaches the set threshold, it needs to lose 1-2% or so before it starts to charge again. Also, you can set the charge to start at a specific time. Our cost of power is about 1/4 of the peak rate when charging starts at midnight. Some locations have the same rate all day, so the timing doesn't matter.

akgolf | 18 April, 2020

I don’t have a Tesla yet, but unplug my Leaf when expecting bad weather. An electric storm caused over $5K dollars in repairs, covered by insurance.

Earl and Nagin ... | 18 April, 2020

Unplugging provides no value. It is just an unnecessary hassle you're giving yourself. The car's computer is deciding whether to pump electrons into the battery or not. You simply tell it how full to charge and when you want it to start or stop charging.
Also, charging late at night is better for the grid since it has less load.
We've been doing this for over 11 years now.

Orthopod | 18 April, 2020

I don’t plug it when I arrive home and it’s between 70-90%

SO | 18 April, 2020

I leave mine plugged in for 5 months at a time (winter storage).

But I do unplug during electrical storms.

stingray.don | 18 April, 2020

Leave it plugged in, just like the manual states.

NKYTA | 18 April, 2020

Working from home with SIP orders in CA, I plug in once a week to 60%.

jimglas | 19 April, 2020

A plugged in tesla
is a happy tesla

blue adept | 19 April, 2020

Plugged.

BTW, for Model 3 and Model Y owners in North America, a recent Powerwall update prioritizes charging during power outages which enables charging to slow down if there’s a high load in your household during an outage and will even stop entirely if the Powerwall dips below an “energy threshold.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tesla-powerwall-outage-ev-charging-08560...

The rest of us will have to wait for the company to write the necessary language to make the update compatible for their higher end Models, but it's nice to know that Tesla Motors is always thinking of us while thinking ahead.

jordanrichard | 19 April, 2020

I don’t quite get why veteran owners are asking noobie questions.........

blue adept | 19 April, 2020

It is a means for the trolls and corporate shills to disseminate misinformation in the form of 'fear', 'uncertainty' and 'doubt', aka, "FUD".

In this instance that 'misinformation' was in the form of they're experiencing 'range reduction' and "drain" from charging/leaving your Tesla plugged in.

Where they slip up is by committing little oversights like the one this freemarket person made which can be hard to catch, so good eye @jordanrichard!

+1

freemarket | 22 April, 2020

This simple veteran asked a noobie question because I genuinely was curious what the super cool veterans thought. Thanks for the feedback from all. If I’ve actually promoted any FUD here, I think I’ll chalk that up to Fake News too.

blue adept | 23 April, 2020

The point is that you should've known better than to post such nonsensical BS given your self-professed years of experience with Tesla vehicles and their charging.

In otherwords, your self-contradiction showed just how little you actually know about these vehicles.

You're welcome.

andy.connor.e | 23 April, 2020

"For my 2019 MX Raven, I’ve recently gone to disconnecting it once it’s charged to 90% and not leave it over night. It seems to me that it drains less actually if it sits now for a few days not tethered to the charge cable."

Forgive my ignorance (if applicable), but how does an EV not plugged in drain less than an EV plugged in? Maybe clarify or reword this???

blue adept | 23 April, 2020

I think that the more direct question would be 'how does an EV experience 'drain' while plugged in?"

Seanderson | 23 April, 2020

We have a 2018 Model 3 RWD long range and have left the charger in during our month long trips. As the manual suggests, there’s no problem with battery degradation. We have a Tesla wall charger with a separate line to the outside box. So far, here in South Florida, lightening has not been a problem thanx to how the electrician grounded everything.

fazman | 23 April, 2020

P3D+ with FUSC for life. I never plug in my car at home... I just use the supercharger when needed.

derotam | 24 April, 2020

@Blue Adept...because the car isn't constantly drawing power from the wall. It only draws power from the wall when using high voltage.

blue adept | 24 April, 2020

@derotam

It doesn't strike you as odd the presumption that a battery, while not being used/under any load and is connected to its charging source, would experience "drain"?

I don't know if you're catching it or not, but they're implying that they're experiencing reduced battery capacity BECAUSE of charging...?!

Earl and Nagin ... | 24 April, 2020

@andy.connor.e
"how does an EV not plugged in drain less than an EV plugged in?"
There could be many reasons for this. The main one, in my mind would be that the software engineers failed to put the computer systems to sleep when the car is plugged in but the charging circuit is not feeding power to the battery. Many less careful software developers, IMHO, tend to forget about power consumption unless an EE forces them to by showing them the power consumption of their stuff. Then, they are often too busy adding whistles and bells to go back and modify the basic low-level or kernel code where deep sleep and other power savings supported by the hardware often lie.
@faz,
Living off of (or blocking - as we see it) Superchargers puts you down in the eyes of many of us. Bragging about it puts you even lower. To us, Superchargers are there to support us when we're away from home. Plus, going to the Supercharger all the time to charge is just another annoyance in life when you could just plug in when you get home and never have to do anything.

blue adept | 24 April, 2020

@Earl & @fazman

'When we're away from home' or for those long distance excursions/between Point 'A' and Point 'B' trips as they were originally intended.

andy.connor.e | 24 April, 2020

makes sense. if its a question of power draw i can see that. perhaps being plugged in uses more energy than if it was idle. it seemed like it was referring to the battery, but op never clarified.

Earl and Nagin ... | 24 April, 2020

@andy,
I can see how, if all computers are on when plugged in. Yet, the car is not drawing current from the grid because the charging circuit detected it was full. The battery could be discharging a little until the charging circuit decided to charge a little more.
I can see how that could account for a couple of percent over a few days. Its insignificant but could appear if watching it closely.
Personally, I recommend that folks just go out and enjoy the car and not worry about these little things.

freemarket | 25 April, 2020

To reiterate my OP: “Could just be placebo, but I’m changing the method for both cars to disconnect before bed.

What do you do? Leave it or disconnect before bed?”

If you’re not interested in the post, why post? To pick on the content of the question? The specifics?

I remember back when the forum was cool to check in on from time to time and everyone was so helpful. Model 3 ended it. S & X owners just got too cool for school. Even some of the originals have gone over board. The forums littered with politics now. Such a bummer.

I don’t need to be an expert and I’d agree that @Earl could be on to something re: “that the software engineers failed to put the computer systems to sleep when the car is plugged in but the charging circuit is not feeding power to the battery.”

The last 3 nights I left the X on the charger to 90%; the following morning charge is at 287.

3 nights in a row prior to that I charge to 90%, disconnect before bed and in the morning I’m at 290.

So much for placebo.