Forums

The gerontocracy is out of touch with the people - Elon Musk

The gerontocracy is out of touch with the people - Elon Musk

Dear Joe,

You've always been a weak man, feckless and corrupt, ie pretty much the same as most corporate democrats.

But this very troubling allegation is a bridge too far. Sexual assault. Coverups. Contemporaneous outcry witnesses including her mother on Larry King in 1993, and neighbors she confided in.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tara-reade-neighbor-joe-biden-sexual-assa...

Resistance Democrats want to fight for #MeToo when it is convenient, but let serial abusers like Clinton and Weinstein run the party without having to account. We need a slam dunk against the existential threat (literally) that is 45.

Please don't run this awful man as your candidate. Elizabeth Warren is a much better candidate. So is a ham sandwich. It's not too late.

Sincerely,

Humanity

P.S. remember all the performative outrage over Sanders saying the political arm of Planned Parenthood was “part of the establishment?” This is what he meant:

Daily Beast contacted 10 top national women advocacy organizations about Tara Reade, including Emily’s List, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, NARAL Pro-Choice America, and NOW. None provided comment.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-have-womens-groups-gone-dead-silent-on...

SCCRENDO | 27 April, 2020

@Sam0. Give it up. We need to get behind anyone who will beat Trump. Biden is the choice of the primary voters. He wasn’t my choice either. Let’s all get behind him rather than split the vote and let Trump back.

jimglas | 27 April, 2020

are you concerned about the 60+ who were paid off by trump to disappear?
I would vote for a steaming pile of chit over trump

FISHEV | 27 April, 2020

Sexual assault allegations:

Biden 1
Trump 66

If that is a concern, you will definitely be voting for Biden. And for Trump voters to bring it up is laughable. Just trot out all the Trump rationalizations from 2016 as cover for Biden.

We can only hope GOP tries to make that a campaign issue as Trump loses it by huge margin if that is yardstick GOP wants to use.

Next.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 27 April, 2020

Give the guy a break, he's in the early stages of dementia.

jimglas | 27 April, 2020

trump is much beyond the early stages

"trump is much beyond the early stages"

All the fron-trunners (Trump, Biden, Sanders) are at high risk. Age is the biggest factor. We don't allow people under 35 to become President. Perhaps it would be wise to cap it as well.

jimglas | 27 April, 2020

i would agree with that
Or have a mandatory evaluation, like they were trying to buy life insurance

FISHEV | 27 April, 2020

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | April 27, 2020 Give the guy a break, he's in the early stages of dementia."

GOP doesn't want to go there either as Reagan was their hero, he slept through cabinet meetings.

Unfortunately GOP has so debased itself from Reagan to Trump that all the slings and arrows they want to use against Biden they've argued are virtues in Reagan and Trump.

Guess they'll have to argue the issues.

Hey...here's one...response to worldwide pandemic with the potential to kill 100,000 Americans and cause$10T in economic damage.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/hydroxychloroquine-no-benefit-incr...

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/trump%E2%80%99s-bleach

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/trump-failure-heed-nsc-warning-end...

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/chinese-americans-facing-abuse-uni...

@jim " Or have a mandatory evaluation, like they were trying to buy life insurance"

It's progressive. Risk increases non-linearly with age. After 65, risk doubles every 5 years.

@fish, cool non-sequitur.

There is no absolute age for dementia. Some get it earlier. If anyone has dementia it would be Trump. If you think he doesn’t have it yet wait and see what he will be like when he gets it.

Of course there is no absolute age; It’s merely statistically relevant.

A 78 year old long standing politician and a severe stuttering problem who makes occasional harmless gaffes versus a severely mentally impaired 73 year old realty TV participant with poor judgment, a bigot, Pathological liar, an egocentric criminal. Yeah what are the statistics

SamO | 27 April, 2020

I will never give up on the belief that we can do better. Settling for Hillary gave us Drumpf. Settling for a “which sexual predator is better” will result in a 2nd term for the current occupant.

The good news is that Handsy Joe is totally replaceable.

SCCRENDO “ Yeah what are the statistics”

Source: The Alzheimer's Association

“The greatest known risk factor for Alzheimer’s is increasing age, but Alzheimer's is not a normal part of aging. While age increases risk, it is not a direct cause of Alzheimer's.

Most individuals with the disease are 65 and older. After age 65, the risk of Alzheimer's doubles every five years. After age 85, the risk reaches nearly one-third.”

SamO | 27 April, 2020

*actual footage emerges of Biden's assault on Tara Reade*
centrists: sorry. no visible name tags. not buying it, jerks. Stop harming the nominee.

Trying to replace Biden at the convention will likely split the party and the vote

Be that as it may, it’s cruel to put him through this. The DNC was afraid of Sanders getting nominated, and instead of Buttigieg or Warren or pretty much anyone (I like Gabbard in the field), we go with Biden. It’s sad.

I’ll go back to the premise: Biden is mental decline. He acts how my grandfather did (anecdotally) when he was entering dementia. He acts how many act when they enter dementia. Trump has disqualified himself. Maybe age should disqualify them both.

Ross1 | 28 April, 2020

quote:

SCCRENDO | April 27, 2020

@Sam0. Give it up. We need to get behind anyone who will beat Trump. Biden is the choice of the primary voters. He wasn’t my choice either. Let’s all get behind him rather than split the vote and let Trump back.

Choose your runner wisely or we will be looking at reruns of these fora for 4, 8 years to come.
From here, it is a clearer view methinks.

SamO | 28 April, 2020

He would it split the party? Biden has no natural constituency. Nobody shows up to his rallies. He has almost no support among youth voters. And the people who voted for him in the primary will show up to vote blue no matter who.

Replace the old dirt bag. It’s coming. You read it here first.

SamO | 28 April, 2020

Believe women except when they interfere with your dream of still not giving people healthcare

Orthopod | 28 April, 2020

I don’t understand why US have entered the trend of electing 70+ years old demented white men while you just had a black progressist president

SCCRENDO | 28 April, 2020

Of course Bernie would have been the best choice despite his age and Warren will make a better president. But we use the primaries to try unite the party and the people have spoken. Biden at his worst will still make a far better president than Trump

rxlawdude | 28 April, 2020

And Biden will choose a younger, more progressive, competent VP that will calm the fears of electing an older person. (And that means many on the right will be rooting for Joe to live forever.)

There was an interesting opinion piece that suggested that strategically Warren may not be a good choice. If she resigns her seat the Massachusetts governor gets to nominate an interim replacement. And he is a Republican. An election will be held within 6 months and a Dem is likely to win. But for 6 months the Republicans will have an extra seat. With Kamala Harris and I believe Amy Klobuchar this is not a problem. Stacey Abrahams would be a good choice.

jimglas | 28 April, 2020

Biden needs to choose a woman of color

tew ms us | 28 April, 2020

@SamO J'Accuse…!

You can confess; we won't tell. You've been watching Fox News!

SamO | 28 April, 2020

I read the Intercept among other reputable news sources.

Fox does not make that list.

@rx,

We don't need to calm old folks. We NEED to turn out a scared electorate. Joe Biden does not do that. He is likely, fatally flawed.

Good luck with your Sophie's choices. Remember . . . NOT voting for Trump is a vote for Biden.

SamO | 28 April, 2020

By the way, Ryan Grim broke both the Kavanaugh and Biden allegations. Credit where it is due.

"NOT voting for Trump is a vote for Biden."

That's a really screwed up way of looking at it. But if you choose to not vote at all and allow Trump to win, well...

I also do not understand @Sam0’s logic

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 28 April, 2020

Biden is clearly struggling. He can't think on his feet; he can't even remember what office he's running for. It's not even embarrassing, it's just sad. He shouldn't be up there. For fear of nominating an almost certain loss in Sanders, the DNC went with a moderate. That's was a good plan, but there were better candidates to choose from even before claims of assault.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/12/its-fair-speculate-wh...

"There is plenty of cause for concern. Biden recently announced “I think we can win back the House” and promised to ban the “AR-14.” He mistook Super Tuesday for “Super Thursday,” and forgot the words of the Declaration of Independence, saying “We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women are created, by the, you know, you know the thing.” In South Carolina, he misstated what office he was running for, declaring “My name’s Joe Biden. I’m a Democratic candidate for the United States Senate.” On three occasions last month, Biden declared he was arrested in South Africa trying to visit Nelson Mandela in prison — an incident his campaign later admitted never happened. He earlier described meeting a Navy captain in Afghanistan, but The Post reported that “almost every detail in the story appears to be incorrect.” He claimed to have worked with Chinese leader “Deng Xiaoping” on the Paris Climate Accord (Deng died in 1997)/. He claimed during a debate that “150 million people have been killed [by guns] since 2007” (which would be nearly half the U.S. population). He said he met with Parkland victims while he was vice president even though the shooting took place after he left office. He has declared that Democrats should "choose truth over facts” and that “poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.” He pledged to use biofuels to power “steamships.” He repeatedly gets confused about what state he is in; called “Fox News Sunday” anchor Chris Wallace “Chuck”; said his late son Beau “was the attorney general of the United States”; and confused former British prime minister Theresa May with the late British prime minister Margaret Thatcher."

SamO | 28 April, 2020

I’ve been told, repeatedly, by resistance Democrats that “not voting for Biden is a vote for Trump” so I was just preempting that illogical misdirection.

I don’t engage in hypotheticals about a non-nominee. Once we have that person and they’ve been vetted, I’ll make a decision. But since I live in California my vote for any Democratic nominee is superfluous so I can safely vote 3rd party, if i want to send a message:

Fuck you DNC and your garbage hypocrisy. Your hatred of the working class and your weaponizing of racial and gender grievances. Fuck Joe Biden and his rapey handsy ways.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 28 April, 2020

"But since I live in California my vote for any Democratic nominee is superfluous"

I'm in the same boat. I'll vote for Tulsi Gabbard, and would do so even if Biden weren't a foregone conclusion. I look forward to a day, which likely won't be in my lifetime, that parties are no longer a factor.

SamO | 28 April, 2020

+ 1 MAB

"Centrists Are the Most Hostile to Democracy, Not Extremists"

Research suggests that across Europe and North America, centrists are the least supportive of democracy, the least committed to its institutions and the most supportive of authoritarianism.

I examined the data from the most recent World Values Survey (2010 to 2014) and European Values Survey (2008), two of the most comprehensive studies of public opinion carried out in over 100 countries. The survey asks respondents to place themselves on a spectrum from far left to center to far right. I then plotted the proportion of each group’s support for key democratic institutions. (A copy of my working paper, with a more detailed analysis of the survey data, can be found here.)

In the United States, only 25 percent of centrists agree that civil rights are an essential feature of democracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/23/opinion/international-wor...

I understand you guys are trying to send a message. But perhaps this is the wrong time to send your message. We need to get Trump out of office. And if his opponent was an orangutang taken straight from the zoo I would vote for the orangutang. I understand that in California your vote won’t make any difference. But imagine if every Bernie supporter including myself and in addition those in swing states either abstained or voted for Trump we would have him for another 4 years. And what do you think the message would be? That they should have picked someone else but Biden?? I doubt it. The message we will live with is that many Bernie supporters are assholes and were prepared to live with Trump for another 4 years to soothe their hurt feelings that Bernie was not nominated.

Magic 8 Ball | 28 April, 2020

Pretentious self aggrandizing pseudo intellectuals make the best fighters for a cause.

SamO | 28 April, 2020

BREAKING: Joe Biden allegedly made "unwelcome and unwanted" sexual advances towards a woman who worked for another senator in late 1972 or early 1973. Originally reported by Alexander Cockburn in 2008.

https://twitter.com/colinkalmbacher/status/1255173124754194433?s=21

So Drumpf 28, Biden 10. Those numbers are really starting to add up.

jimglas | 28 April, 2020

interesting tat these allegations are being manufactured now. After all the time he has been in public life.

tew ms us | 28 April, 2020

What's really interesting is that the allegations are being reported by the "We Hate Trump And You Should, Too" media. They would normally be going after the complainers. Someone tell Joe to watch his back.

SamO | 28 April, 2020

@jimglas,

These aren't being "manufactured" now. Listen to her mom's phone call to Larry King in 1993. You think #MeToo is for Kavanaugh and Republicans only. Go watch the Anita Hill hearing and the grotesque carnival that Joe Biden helped created.

@SCC,

We can still do better. Perhaps NOW is the time to not be partisan but to be a decent human. Joe Biden is not the nominee that can beat Trump. Neither was Hillary. Nor Kerry. Nor Gore.

Perhaps the Democratic machine should stop being paid to lose.

jimglas | 28 April, 2020

The Anita Hill debacle is terrible.
But a pile of warm chit is better than trump
Smarter too

@Sam0. I would definitely prefer Bernie or Warren as president. I don’t think trying to overthrow the primary winner is a winning formula

jimglas | 28 April, 2020

I would like to see him announce his VP pick
Then on a daily basis announce another cabinet choice
All wuld be highly qualified, hopefully many of the other candidates.
Control the news cycle with the announcements instead of trumps daily campaign rallies

It seems that the American people no longer consider sexual harassment disqualifying for office.

Exhibit One: The Orange-a-Tan
Exhibit Two: Brett Kavenaugh
Exhibit Three: Al Franken.... oh wait, he voluntarily resigned for fake touching a female soldier's boob.

If only GOP morals were as good.

@jim, +1

SamO | 28 April, 2020

Biden has not yet “won” the primary thus protesting his potential primary candidacy is both smart and just.

#Resist

hcwhy | 28 April, 2020

Joe Biden and Robert Mueller have a heck of a lot in common.

@hcwhy. And what would that be??

hcwhy | 28 April, 2020

I'm not aware of any sexual misconduct accusations against Mueller, so it must be other similarities.

And that would be what??

Pages