Forums

Buying a USED Tesla Roadster??

Buying a USED Tesla Roadster??

Would you buy a USED Tesla Roadster? The older models will not work on SuperChargers, need I'm a RV park vehicle charger??

TeslaTap.com | 20 May, 2020

You are a RV park vehicle charger? No idea what that means.

Still, the original Roadster is a cool car. Price is a big factor as to getting one (maybe some good deals out there?). It's not clear battery packs can be replaced anymore. I think Tesla discontinued it's battery upgrade program, as the cars are now about 10-12 years old. If you can find one with the battery upgrade, that would be very nice. I suspect only a handful were done, so Roadsters with the upgraded battery are very rare.

M3phan | 20 May, 2020

Nope. Saw an original IRL at a Tesla meet up. It was in very good condition, and while I thought it looked retro cool, it felt dated and cramped. Would not buy.

Earl and Nagin ... | 20 May, 2020

@M3phan,
Not "dated and cramped". More like "minimalist and compact - built for speed"
:-)
It was built with help from Lotus motors so it inherited Collin Chapman's "Simplicate and add lightness" design philosophy. This is what enabled the fledgling Tesla Motor Company to create a car that could stand up to the big boys without completely breaking the bank account that they did not have.
It does take some yoga maneuvering to get in and out. It is definitely built for those who are somewhat nimble. I can still do so with no hands, however.

M3phan | 20 May, 2020

Yes, clearly shows it’s Lotus DNA. Hope one day to have the roadster 2nd gen

booshtukka | 20 May, 2020

I LOVE the original Roadster. I think it looks a lot nicer than the new one. Just my opinion.

I wish there were a way to buy one and retrofit bigger batteries/motors into it.

SamO | 20 May, 2020

@bill,

The used Roadsters can be charged at public chargers, but not Superchargers.

Recharging
The Roadster uses a proprietary charging connector, although Tesla sells a mobile adapter that enables recharging with an SAE J1772-2009 connector.[6] The vehicle can be recharged using:[131]

A wall-mounted 208–240 V, 70 A maximum current Home Connector. This appears to be an OEM version of the TS-70 charging station from ClipperCreek.[132]
A portable 120–240 V, 40 A maximum current Universal Mobile Connector cable that can plug into a NEMA 14–50 receptacle and other 240 V receptacles using adapters.
A portable 120 V, 15 A maximum current Spare Mobile Connector cable that plugs into a standard North American domestic socket.
Charging times vary depending on the ESS's state-of-charge, the available voltage, and the available circuit breaker amp rating (current). In a best case scenario using a 240 V charger on a 90 A circuit breaker, Tesla documents a recharging rate of 90 km (56 mi) of range for each hour charging; a complete recharge from empty would require just under four hours. The slowest charging rate using a 120 V outlet on a 15 A circuit breaker would add 8.0 km (5 mi) of range for each hour charging; a complete recharge from empty would require 48 hours.[133]

pdeputy | 21 May, 2020

Buying someone else's problem.

andy.connor.e | 21 May, 2020

There is not a single rational reason to buy a older model used roadster, unless you are a collector, or simply want it. It still rests as more expensive than every car they offer now, and was inferior in every way. The old pays for the new, and sometimes remains as the old and outdated. The P3D is superior in every way other than convertible capability.

geedub1023 | 21 May, 2020

I wouldn't buy a used, older roadster or roaster.

owlegrad2 | 21 May, 2020

Are you a collector? Would owning it bring you joy?

billroger | 21 May, 2020

I'm told Tesla Roadster will NOT work at Tesla SuperCharger stations?? Not that I'm buying one, but it is a cool car.

coleAK | 21 May, 2020

I’ve driven one, really cool car that drives well. I’ll mention I’m probably a bit bias since I owned an Elise and a carerham 7. That said personally I wouldn’t own one due to the questionable availability of parts.

Earl and Nagin ... | 21 May, 2020

@billroger,
I can confirm that the Roadster will NOT work at Tesla Supercharger. we can charge it at the Kettleman City Supercharger because they have 2 HPWCs.

bjrosen | 21 May, 2020

Here's a better alternative, you can have your Model 3 turned into a convertible for the low low price of $30K.

https://insideevs.com/news/424618/convertible-tesla-model-3-conversion/

The Roadster is for collectors only at this point, it's not a practical car. If what you want is to drive around with the wind in your hair then a convertible conversion will do the trick for you.

M3phan | 21 May, 2020

That convertible conversion doesn’t look good.

bjrosen | 21 May, 2020

M3phan@ With the top down it looks pretty good, with the top up it looks like crap.

david_gelfand | 21 May, 2020

If you’re really interested in any of the original Tesla roadsters, I urge you to drive at least once or twice. Several years ago, a few years after we purchased our Dec 2015 MS_85, but before we purchased our Dec 2017 M3 LR and planning to sell our 2094 BMW Z4 3.0i convertible roadster I very much wanted the T roadster and twice drove one for a day. I decided, extraordinarily minimalist and very uncomfortable. Maybe we’d be interested in V3. The original Roadster has extraordinary road feel, every bump, imperfection is well felt. We had become spoiled by riding in our MS!

billroger | 22 May, 2020

Now a 'hard-top" Tesla convertible would be my speed. I used to own the Merc SLK250 HT Convertible. Really cool looking car, but does NOT compare to driving a Tesla M3 -- it just looked cool. If I could have had Elon convert it to a convertible- I would have kept it.

RayNLA | 23 May, 2020

I would admire from afar...

TeslaTap.com | 23 May, 2020

This company does conversions of Teslas to coupes and/or convertibles: https://newportconvertible.com/tesla-model-s-coupe/ I expect it is quite expensive though.

ODWms | 23 May, 2020

@billroger, I still have my SLK350 (which I bought after enjoying the former SLK230 for 17 years), and I still absolutely love it! But you’re right, no comparison beyond the convertible functionality.

lbowroom | 23 May, 2020

Can we agree to call it the Gen 1 or original like someone did above?

M3phan | 24 May, 2020

@bjrosen, correction, with the top up, it looks like *a pile of* crap. ; )

bjrosen | 24 May, 2020

M3phan@ Would you like to add "steaming" to your description? :)

Seriously why doesn't this top work? It clearly doesn't, did they just screw up or is a convertible top just not possible with the 3. Can someone with an eye for design explain it to me.

M3phan | 24 May, 2020

Yes, hot and steaming. Hahaha.
For the money it cost, it’s oddly boxy. Like it doesn’t fit the 3s design at all. Weird.

jordanrichard | 25 May, 2020

It’s funny how people comment about the practicality or logic of getting an old Roadster when from a strictly financial sense there is no logic in buy ANY car. There is no way in hell I am going to saving enough gas and maintenance cost to recoup what I paid for my MS.

Even if one drove a 10 year old Chevy Suburban getting 18 mpg and the engine blew up. It would be cheaper to replace the engine, than to get a new Model 3.

So, can we dispense with the “logic” arguments.

If I had the money and garage space, I would get an original Roadster, not only for the fun driving factor but the historical significance.

TeslaTap.com | 25 May, 2020

Well, there are several logical points to practicality, but I agree 99.9% of cars are not a good financial investment. Now FSD with a rental system could make it a huge profit maker, but that's still a way off.

An EV does reduce pollution, especially if you have solar and/or your area has a lot of renewables. To me the safety factor of the S/X/3/Y is a huge win for a Tesla, although I'm less sure of the original Roadster.

Lonestar10_1999 | 25 May, 2020

When I crunched the numbers for the SR+, I considered I travel about 20k miles per year, mostly commuting to work and a little bit of running errands in town. When I factored in the low maintenance costs of the M3 and the work perk of free charging, the lifetime cost of ownership was similar to a well equipped Toyota Corolla.

You could argue that buying a Corolla or any is a bad investment but it still beats leasing. Especially if you put on 20k miles per year. I regard car ownership as a necessity for holding a responsible job. It’s just the cost of doing business.

For the first generation Roadster, it’s more of a weekend car, not a daily driver. A want, not a need. If you have the means then why not. Go for it.

ODWms | 26 May, 2020

Either of these, based on the Model 3 platform, would work:

https://imgur.com/a/4W416x7