Forums

Adding front motor to LR RWD

Adding front motor to LR RWD

So, I've been watching Sandy Munro's Model Y breakdown and in episode 18 (I think), he made a very interesting statement. He said that Elon Musk had once tweeted that people who purchased the rear wheel drive Model 3 would be given the chance to add a front motor after the fact. Munro confirmed that the Model 3 has a place to attach a front motor, but I've never heard this given as option from Tesla.

My question is, has anyone very pursued this with Tesla or heard this given as an option? Would be cool to upgrade to AWD after the fact or even cooler to upgrade to performance model!

Earl and Nagin ... | 22 May, 2020

I can't see Tesla offering AWD upgrade to an existing buy. They'd have to tear the car apart to install. They'd prefer (and it might be cheaper) to just sell your RWD and buy and AWD or performance model.

derotam | 22 May, 2020

There *being a physical place* to insert a front motor is very different then actually being able to just pop one in. The frame between the RWD and AWD car is the same, its called simplifying the manufacturing process. There is a lot more then just popping in a front motor.

Hasn't this question been posted before....just saying.

TeslaTap.com | 22 May, 2020

I agree - zero chance of Tesla offering an AWD conversion. lIt might be an interesting DIY project. The big problem would be getting Tesla to activate the AWD software.

bddaughe | 22 May, 2020

I agree that the same frame is probably used for both AWD and RWH. I just found it odd when I heard the Musk had tweeted about adding a motor after the sale. I know he sometimes has grand visions that don't come to fruition, but thought it would be fun to discuss. Sorry if it was an inconvenience @derotam...just saying

aperfectecho | 22 May, 2020

Not exactly the same, but I remember seeing a webpage where a guy added the cameras to his wife's Model S, to give it self-driving. In the end, a lot of work and money, and wasn't worth it. But, he did it just to see if it was possible

M3phan | 22 May, 2020

Difficult process or not, if it was legit offered and the price made sense, I’d do it.

JimShaw | 22 May, 2020

Fun to think about BUT adding another motor means FASTER. I would get into trouble. I have to watch what I do now let alone more speed, more performance.

coleAK | 22 May, 2020

At min even without talking software it would require: motor, differential, cv joints, drive shafts, new hubs, a arms, control arms, wiring, probably suspension springs,... Even if you could find all that salvaged from an AWD I’m betting $10k-$20k+ it would be much cheaper to take the hit, sell the RWD, and buy an AWD.

lbowroom | 22 May, 2020

Yes, even the strut assemblies are different.

RayNLA | 23 May, 2020

This isn’t a possibility.
The mounting brackets are there for production ease.

rmg007 | 23 May, 2020

Tesla use to allow a complete battery swap at some (one) of its super charger locations. That idea didn't last too long as well.

pieromontas | 23 May, 2020

pretty sure it can be done but at what cost just get the AWD if you want im pretty sure you can get a good trade in price.

dschantz26 | 24 May, 2020

I recently added Scan My Tesla hardware and software to my Model 3 2020 AWD. You guys would be surprised how little time the AWD 3 is actually using AWD. Most of the time only one drive is actually powering the car. Yes AWD kicks in under hard acceleration and slippery conditions......just saying.

M3phan | 24 May, 2020

Really? Wow that’s unexpected.

dschantz26 | 24 May, 2020

The difference between reality, marketing, expectations and hearsay can sometimes be quite substantial.

Ross1 | 25 May, 2020

His story, her story and the Truth?

gmr6415 | 25 May, 2020

@bddaughe, One phone call to Tesla Service Center would answer your question.

JAD | 25 May, 2020

Tesla does not like hardware changes. And since I don't think they can pull this off with software....

TeslaTap.com | 25 May, 2020

@JAD - Actually, I think Tesla has made more after-sale hardware retrofits than any other major car company. Over the years, there were hardware upgrades for power side mirrors, fog lights, center console, Ludicrous, LTE, MCU2, and many others. Here's a larger list I complied: https://teslatap.com/modifications/ Skip down to Tesla Retrofits.

Still, I don't see Tesla ever offering AWD upgrade to a RWD car. If created, it would likely retail for $10K to $15K, so I wouldn't expect many takers.

JAD | 25 May, 2020

@tt, I guess but most of those were really off menu other than the ludicrous fuse, they are not listed in the app under upgrades like fsd, power boost, etc. Though the track pack is hardware, but I think it is only available as an upgrade

TeslaTap.com | 25 May, 2020

I thought the upgrades menu in the app was really for software updates, although FSD with HW2.5 would involve some hardware. Also the upgrades menu is quite new. Most of the retrofits I call out were available long before that app feature became available, so I doubt Tesla is going to go back and add them to the upgrades menu. Some are very specific to those cars made at a specific time. For example the power mirror retrofit was for a limited number of cars that had some of the wiring before power mirrors became standard.

RayNLA | 26 May, 2020

Let it go people!
This isn’t a thing...

marinergreg | 26 May, 2020

Having always wanted AWD and switching my order to RWD in 2018 to get my Model 3 faster I've always regretted it.
At the time there was no guarantee that you would get a Model 3 before the end of the year ensuring the full $7,500 tax credit.

Many of us here on this forum switched our order from AWD to RWD just to make sure we got one by the end of the year.

So I've followed this fantasy or dream of adding another Motor very closely looking for any crumb of hope.

Elon Musk stated very clearly that they decided to seal off the ability to connect an added motor upfront.
I believe it was a cost-saving and streamlining move.

So while anything theoretically is possible if you throw enough work and money at it. Adding a second Motor post-purchase just isn't ever going to happen.

My solution will be trading in my RWD Model 3 for an AWD Model Y, which I intended to do all along anyway.