Forums

Saving dash cam footage how does it work

Saving dash cam footage how does it work

Hello,

With the latest software update, I can now launch the dash cam viewer to view footage. But how does the save footage option really work? let say I am driving, does the car record everything while I am driving but only save the last 10 mins or so only when I press "save". If I don't press save it will never record anything? So let say I drove for 30 mins. part my car for 20 min. Then I hit save, does that mean I will only see the last 10 mins when my car is park? Really kind of confusing how it work.

thanks!

stombi | 25 May, 2020

It's confusing but it records the same as before.
The viewer only display the content of SavedClips and SentryClips
RecentClips are as before on a one hour roll, but you can't see them in the car

/TeslaCam/RecentClips
/TeslaCam/SavedClips
/TeslaCam/SentryClips

EVRider | 25 May, 2020

The dashcam records continuously and stores the last hour of footage in RecentClips. If you save video, either by using the dashcam icon or honking your horn (if you’ve enabled that option), the last 10 minutes of video is moved from RecentClips to SavedClips. If SentryMode is enabled, any event causes the last 10 minutes of video to be moved from RecentClips to SentryClips.

As the previous comment noted, the dashcam viewer only shows SavedClips and SentryClips content.

M3phan | 25 May, 2020

Thanks EV, that’s the clearest and simplest explanation I’ve read yet.

EVRider | 25 May, 2020

Thanks M3phan!

One additional noteworthy point: When you save video, the one-minute segment that is currently recording might not get saved because the file hasn't been completely written yet. If you're trying to capture a specific incident, wait a couple of minutes to save the footage, or save it again after a couple of minutes, to make sure you save the correct clip.

Peter@Zodiac | 26 May, 2020

if my car does not has a dashcam icon. What I need to do? Thanks

TeslaTap.com | 26 May, 2020

@Peter - You need a flash drive. Here's my site on everything about the Tesla dashcam, recommendations, issues, setup etc: https://cammem.com/