Forums

Did I just get screwed?

Did I just get screwed?

So I purchased a solar system from Tesla Dec 2019 got activated late march. Been running less than 3 months, and now a BIGGER system is 35% cheaper than what I paid.

I got the 7.54 KW Med system for 21,500, and now they just came out with 8.16 system 16000. I guess technology changes and costs go down, but this is not the case in 3 months. Worst yet, after the install they used a really cheap inverter on my system which was some delta crap, and I can't monitor energy usage or anything, it only shows me generation. My father in law who I referred, bought the solar rental where he pays a fixed amount a month... He got a bigger system than mine (not the large), along with the better inverter which shows all the data one expects... Do I have any legs to stand on to request a better inverter that can show all of this along with maybe more panels to at least equalize my system which actually produces very poorly due to the tree cover and the fact that optimizers were not used and just a delta inverter which has 2 strings.

TeslaTap.com | 22 June, 2020

Ok, can't say about the price changes - it may have more to do with your install - some are more expensive than others due to the on-site work. A price without a site evaluation seems quite suspicious and more likey a minimal estimate.

I have two Delta inverters and they are fine. Not sure why you consider them crap. From what I can tell, they seem to be quite reliable and I've seen no other reporting problems with them. I agree that Tesla does not provide super detailed analysis, but the app does have really all the info most need, and you can export it. There are a lot of sub-levels to the app, so tap on various items to drill down and see long term stats and other details. You can export this data if that's useful to you.

The inverter vs microinverter debate is a long one. If you wanted microinverters, not sure why you didn't request it. My prior solar system had micro-inverters. They worked fine, but in 5 years they became obsolete due to regulatory changes. I could continue to use them, but if one failed, I may have had to replace them all. They did have good stats on a per-panel basis which was nice, but after a few views, rarely looked at it.

I switched to a solar roof, as it was cheaper than the non-solar roof I was planning on. It has four strings, with solar tiles on each of the four roof faces. I have some shading from a few trees, but the system works quite well. About 3 times the power of the old panels system. An inverter design also works better with Powerwalls, and I suspect is one reason Tesla prefers inverters.

As for solar rental - I'm not a fan. They seem cheap at first, but over the life of the system, they can be quite a bit more expensive. After all, they are fronting all the costs and have to make a profit. They can become a major headache when selling your house as it's a liability to the new homeowner. The new homeowner has to qualify for the transfer, and if they don't, you can't sell your house. The payoff option is often very expensive too. I expect anyone considering a solar rental would be better off with a homeowner loan and buying the system outright. So it was smart of you avoiding the rental mess.

gregbrew | 22 June, 2020

Delta's newer models had a rocky start, but that was a couple of years ago. They aren't bad now, since they've nailed down the firmware.

Technology gets "better and cheaper" as time goes by. If I waited for the next best features and a cheaper price on everything, I'd have nothing.

There are several technical and permitting issues with getting a consumption monitoring device (PowerBlaster) in your main electrical panel. Some installations don't allow for one. (Mine didn't, when I had just solar.) I got consumption data added when I installed Powerwalls a while later, as it's an entirely separate system with its own reporting methods.