Forums

Side Mirror/Camera regulation

Side Mirror/Camera regulation

Internet search for Wired article

2014/04/tesla-auto-alliance-mirrors/

The science backs it up. In Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, Wolf-Heinrich Hucho said exterior side view mirrors increases total aerodynamic drag by an average of 2 to 7 percent.

So who can calculate what the fuel savings would be? Assumptions might be;
25mpg - (what ever average mileage is)
5% drag savings
15 million new cars in a year.

Perhaps the backup camera requirements will really come in 2018? Perhaps a factor in the Model 3 production release?

TeslaTap.com | 12 April, 2016

It's safe to assume the Model 3 will have a backup camera. As for camera side mirrors, getting any changes, no matter how beneficial, through the US regulatory system takes tens-of-years if ever. They are much better at creating regulations than removing or fixing them.

dsvick | 12 April, 2016

@TeslaTap - it shouldn't be too hard to change the regulations requiring actual mirrors, in my experience most people don't use them anyway :)

Haggy | 12 April, 2016

GM now offers a rear view "mirror" that's a camera, so there must be something regarding regulations that allows them to do that. If they can do that for the center mirror, I'm sure there's more to it than has been discussed.

TeslaTap.com | 12 April, 2016

@dsvick - for some strange reason the regulators don't take into consideration actual use :)

@Haggy - The reason GM's clever rear mirror works is it is a mirror! When the LCD is not powered, it works as a mirror. This makes it acceptable (i.e. without power it still works). Actually this is a really cool feature of the Volt that I expect many car makers will adapt if not tied up in patents.

For side mirrors, you need to remove them, have tiny cameras outside and have displays in the car. This is not allowed. Tesla showed off the first Model X prototype years ago with camera mirrors. They ran into a brick wall with the regulators. A few other automakers have also tried to get side cameras through, but no success so far.

jordanrichard | 12 April, 2016

Just FYI, the Model ≡ will indeed have a back up camera because come 2018, all cars sold in the U.S, will require back up cameras.

TeslaTap, they can have displays in the car, what would you call the present rear camera app? The issue is the physical removal of the mirrors.

lolachampcar | 13 April, 2016

There is a video floating around of one of the automotive mirror companies with a device that acts as a display in one position then, when flipped like the "night" tilt setting, works like a mirror thus fulfilling the statutory requirement for a physical mirror. This sounds a lot like the Volt solution. The interesting part of the video was the much wider fish eye functionality of the curved mirror to include right and left side cameras. The seamless composite view was impressive, natural and far more functional/safe than three separate mirrors.

AlexM3 | 20 July, 2016

That might be very helpful to have 2 more smart side mirror cameras, kind a like on Honda mirror and camera combined,so i can see what is going on there better and program should be smart and have alerts and zoom also.

topher | 20 July, 2016

@teslatap:
"through the US regulatory system takes tens-of-years if ever. They are much better at creating regulations than removing or fixing them."

Because that it how the law works. No law is EVER removed, just changed into non-use. The 21st amendment repeals the 18th, but the 18th is still in the list.

Thank you kindly.