Forums

Interior Charging

Interior Charging

What is your preference on the number of interior charging ports available in the Model 3?

I will start with mine. 2-3 USB ports in the front. One 12 volt power outlet in the front. 2 USB ports in the second / rear row. 1 AC power outlet anywhere in the front or rear. Unsure what I think about power outlets in the trunk as of this moment, but maybe useful to have an additional AC power outlet to charge things like cordless / handheld vacuums.

***Forgot to mention wireless charging, my phone currently doesn't support wireless charging, but it will be a good thing to have in the front just incase.***

wrightmikeb | 8 July, 2016

I would be happy with 2 usb in the front and 2 in the back, all 2.1 amps so it can change iPads if needed

adias.angel | 8 July, 2016

I would be happy with all USB ports for phone and ipad charging. Right now our Mazda has two in the middle console and that's it. We would need at least one USB per seat in the car.

Rocky_H | 8 July, 2016

I don't have little kids, so maybe this colors my perception, but I don't care about any ports for the back seats. We've had people in the back on a trip, and a 6 foot cord from the front works fine. I do think an actual 120V wall outlet in the car somewhere would be a really good idea.

stevenmaifert | 9 July, 2016

Two USB up front plus a 12V outlet. I use an Aukey 4.8 amp dual USB adapter in the 12V outlet when I need more than two USB or to charge faster https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s... A 6 foot USB extension serves the back seat passengers just fine.

CC396 | 10 July, 2016

Agree with adias.angel, there should be at least one USB per seat! Rocky_H, yes am actual 10v wall outlet really seems like a great idea!!! Hope they will add one or two of those wall plugs somewhere in the car, unsure if I will use it everytime, but there are no doubt I will use it at times to charge products such laptop and portable vacuum cleaners. Also forgot to mention wireless charging in the front, what do you think about it? If there are three USB ports in the front, I definitely wouldn't mind trading one USB port for a wireless charging spot.

Badbot | 10 July, 2016

USB HUB USB powered

lobo426 | 11 July, 2016

a charge port on the top headliner by the mirror would be great for a dash cam, instead of running the wire all the way around or splicing it in somewhere

CC396 | 13 July, 2016

@lobo426, I agree, a USB on the headliner will be a great idea for dashcam too, but hoping for a built in dashcam by Tesla. Also, really hoping they provide AT LEAST ONE USB port per person. If you think about it, it's the minimum and may not be enough. A person tend to have at least two devices these days, a phone and a tablet. With this much devices, a shortage of USB ports in the car will be troubling as well as concerning.

CC396 | 13 July, 2016

@lobo426, I agree, a USB on the headliner will be a great idea for dashcam too, but hoping for a built in dashcam by Tesla. Also, really hoping they provide AT LEAST ONE USB port per person. If you think about it, it's the minimum and may not be enough. A person tend to have at least two devices these days, a phone and a tablet. With this much devices, a shortage of USB ports in the car will be troubling as well as concerning.

CC396 | 13 July, 2016

CC396 | 13 July, 2016

CC396 | 13 July, 2016

wrightmikeb | 13 July, 2016

A built in dashcam would be nice.

dave.m.mcdonough | 14 July, 2016

quintuple post, well done.

CC396 | 15 July, 2016

@wrightmikeb, I agree with you. They already have cameras in the front and the back of the Tesla, they should let us use it as a dashcam as well!

damon.broadnax | 15 July, 2016

I can't help but wonder what corners will be cut to keep the base price down? Most likely for the more techy people options for more USB's etc...will come as an add on cost as Tesla will make it's money doing ala carte. Obviously your living in a fantasy world it you think you will get the car at base price but coming from someone who has a little one definitely USB's per seat would be nice to plug in and charge laptops. Does anyone know if Tesla's come with wifi connection? If not then that will be crucial!!