Forums

"Follow Me" mode for cyclists

"Follow Me" mode for cyclists

There has been a series of accidents with cyclists being killed by vehicles in my area recently. My idea is to create a "follow me" mode in the Tesla autopilot that will follow an individual or group of riders creating a safety buffer. Even if only one rider in a group owned a Tesla he or she could provide a much needed service for the entire group while still enjoying the ride. Take the idea for what it's worth!

SCCRENDO | 8 July, 2016

As a cyclist I try my best to avoid disrupting traffic flow. However the courtesy is not always returned. I try ride in marked bike lanes but sometimes for my own safety need to take up a full lane. This happens when I am making a left turn for example and the lane is designated for both left turn and going on straight. Drivers should disengage autopilot at these times and be courteous to cyclists. On the other hand I find motorcyclists particularly on the freeway to be discourteous. I am very sympathetic being a fellow 2 wheel driver. They lane split. I have had occasion when a motorcyclist has come from behind with speed and I have not seen them coming. Their expectation is that a move out of their way. I have had many a middle finger shown to me.

PV_Dave @US-PA | 8 July, 2016

I love the idea!

Ross1 | 9 July, 2016

Bicycles are what the poor people ride

SCCRENDO | 9 July, 2016

Ross. You are a real smart guy. Looks like you have just discovered my socioeconomic status. I have a different take on this. People who ride bikes are in general fitter and healthier. I am 63 years old. I ride 44-56 miles each Saturday. I have completed 3 half-ironmen in the last 10 years (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, 13.1 mile run), some century rides and 6 marathons including the Boston and New York Marathons. I would rather be a "poor" guy than a disgusting snob/slob like you. So please show respect for cyclists on the road.

Mike83 | 9 July, 2016

@SCCRENDO.Ca.US

great workout routine. What the lazy individuals don't realize is how great one feels staying fit. Besides the physical it helps the brain function in a more intelligent way. Bravo to you.
I have friends who are very old and still riding daily, one guy is 80 and rides in the mountains daily, another guy I met at a 5k runs is 100, his time was 26 minutes. These guys look much younger and are really fun people.
The angry sick and overweight are missing out.
I was riding a $5000 carbon Ghost bicycle in the mountains recently but also do road bicycling. Have ridden down the California coast several times doing 80-100 per day but don't do that now as the cars have become worrisome. More mountain biking now. Still go by the old saying, if you don't use it you lose it.
We travel with folding bikes in the Tesla and find nice bike paths. We need more bike friendly roads. We went to the Netherlands and I love their bicycle system. We could learn a lot from them and may need their help building dikes as the sea level rises.

SCCRENDO | 9 July, 2016

@Mike. Orange County California is pretty bike friendly. Great bike paths. I've done some great rides around Davis California when one of my kids went to school there. The half ironmen that I did were in the Healdsburg area (Vineman 70.3). I have never got in to mountain biking. Keep up the good work. How old are you?

Mike83 | 9 July, 2016

I like people to guess my age. We like going to Monterey and visit the Aquarium. They have separate bicycle paths that go by the ocean. Also there is a supercharger close by. We just heard Bend, Oregon opened a supercharger and they have bike paths we have heard.
Maybe in the winter we'll go south. Keep on pedalling.

lilbean | 9 July, 2016

@sccrendo - Congrats on all your awesome fitness accomplishments!

SCCRENDO | 9 July, 2016

@lilbean. Thanks. Just came back from a ride. I have the Tesla cycling outfit. In fact on my second bib. My first one lasted about a year then started to become transparent around the butt. Spotted 3 Model Ss and one Model X along the way. I had to acknowledge them first. Got a limited acknowledgement back..
@Mike do you do the 17 mile drive or is the bike path in a different place? if you come south contact me. Google OC bikeways. We have 60 mile return bikepaths to the beach. my favorite ride is through the Saddleback mountains. There is a wide bikepath along the rode. Often stop off at Cook"s corner where the motor bikers hang out.
@Ross. Im sure you're impressed by now how us poor folk get around.

Mike83 | 9 July, 2016

The 17 mile ride is nice and there are many other routes along the coast. Here is some information.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/monterey-bay-coastal-recreation-trail.aspx

Maybe we'll contact when we are in the neighborhood.

vp09 | 9 July, 2016

I discovered mountain biking ten years ago (at age 55). What a new world. Wow. They started me off with a steel-frame single-speed monocog (one gear) 29" incher. Everyone looked at me with respect. Like the dentist with his carbon-framed bike that had 37 gears. Took me a while to find out why.

vp09 | 9 July, 2016

SCCrendo I put 23,000 miles on a Harley Sportster from 2003 to 2013 (my new wife had a talk with me about it) and I always, always, always treated bicyclists with the greatest respect. I even gave the usual biker wave (left hand down) to them, not that any appeared to notice.

lilbean | 9 July, 2016

@sccrendo- Awesome! Looks great. Glad you got a ride in today :) The limited acknlowdgement doesn't surprise me. What bike rack do you have?

SCCRENDO | 9 July, 2016

@Libean. Don't use a bike rack on my car. When I ride solo usually ride from home. If I do the bike path to the beach, I drive to the path fold my seats forward and throw my bike in the back. When I go with my wife we use her Lexus SUV. We put on a bike rack she drops me at the path and I meet her 10 miles later. I ride an extra 20 miles compared to her. The last time I did Vineman I had just got my I car 3 months before. There were no superchargers after Fremont and I was nervous about local charging in the Healdsberg-Windsor area. She follows me on the bike path so was concerned about running out of juice so we took her car. Today it would be easy with a supercharger in Petaluma.
@vp. Are you still mountain biking? I must say it looks quite tricky. Never tried it though. I hate running on trails as well. In fact I'm a lousy hiker. Last year we hiked half-dome at Yosemite. Hiked up there okay. But was dying on the way down.

lilbean | 10 July, 2016

@sccrendo - Funny thing is right after I hit save, I realized that given your fitness level, you didn't use a bike rack and rode from home. I was right :)

Ross1 | 10 July, 2016

@SCCR:
Sorry if you were offended, I was just teasing you, not circling for a full scale attack.
Please don't get off your bike over it.
R.

bb0tin | 10 July, 2016

@SCCRENDO
MTB is dangerous as well as tricky.
Went on a mountain biking and skiing weekend a year ago. One of the people hit a stump while riding the day before and completely broke his upper arm. Visited him in the hospital the next morning and then went riding. Went over the front and broke my back. Ended up in the same ward! Breaking bones is sorta par for the course.

SCCRENDO | 10 July, 2016

The question is what is more dangerous. Mountain biking or road biking. As I said I have trouble running and even walking on trails. Unfortunately we have very inconsiderate motorists on the roads. In California in general and in Orange County in particular we have great paths. In this map the off road pathed bike lanes are in green. These are the one I do with my wife. You can see how many on road lined bikeways there are on most streets in pink. You can see some of the steep designated bike ways in yellow. Those are some that I like to ride going through the mountains.
http://www.octa.net/pdf/OCBikewaysMap.pdf

SCCRENDO | 10 July, 2016

@Ross. I think you entirely miss the point. I could care less about your opinion. You are obviously a pompous guy who considers yourself wealthy. You troll these sites without any serious commitment to the environment. With all your wealth you are not even prepared to put money down on a Model 3 which should be pocket change to you. So your remark was not insulting to me but to people less financially well off than you who are committed to the environment and would like to purchase a Model 3 for example and cannot afford one. Your remark would be similar to the one wrongly attributed to Marie Antoinette, "let them eat cake"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

Tesla-David | 10 July, 2016

@SCCRENDO.Ca.US, +1 Congratulations on your impressive fitness routine, and accomplishments. I am a lifetime runner, 52 marathons, and 2 ultra-marathons to date. I love getting out every day for some aerobic exercise, and getting my endorphin rushes, which I am sure you do as well. Keep up the great routine.

SCCRENDO | 10 July, 2016

@Tesla-David. Impressive. Are you still running? Which ultra marathons have you done? Too much for me I'm afraid. 26.2 is all I have in me.

Tesla-David | 10 July, 2016

My ultra marathons were here in Seattle, Fall City to Gasworks Park Relay/Ultra in 1995 and 1997. The first one was 75K and the second one was a double marathon (52.4 miles). I was done with ultra's after the second one. Too much stress on the body. Ran my first marathon in 1977, and my last one in 2002, which was the Berlin Marathon. Ran Boston twice (1978 and 1979). I also ran one marathon in New Zealand, Hamilton Marathon in 1990. Unfortunately, my marathon days are over as I have no cartilage left in my left knee, but am getting some relief with Euflexxa injections, which help to keep me mobile. I still run a little, but mainly fast walking now. I wish there was something I could do about the knee short of knee replacement, which I am reluctant to do at this point. I am still able to manage around 35 miles/week with this routine.

SCCRENDO | 10 July, 2016

@Tesla-David. You should try biking. Just stay out of Ross's way

Ross1 | 10 July, 2016

Yep, true. I dont want a gender change.

The other post was light humour, get over it

bb0tin | 10 July, 2016

@SCCRENDO
You asked "The question is what is more dangerous"
You are far more likely to die in a road accident. You get injured more frequently mountain biking. Broken collar bones are very common. Spinal injuries are much more common.

SCCRENDO | 10 July, 2016

@bb0tin. I agree. Depending on where you cycle of course. Riding around Tasmania with Ross around I fear for my life. Particularly if he mistakes me for a pauper.

compchat | 10 July, 2016

Don't understand your idea.

Are you sugggesting that a Tesla delibertely slow down and move at the pace of a bicycle ?

If so that is a Dumb idea.

You would be blocking the normal flow of traffic and creating a greater danger with other cars trying to pass you and/or tailgaiting you or doing much worse to you.

Bicycles should stay in their lanes, in tandem and obey all traffic laws. Personally I would like to see them off the public highways unless there are barriers between the bicyclists and the automobiles (for everyones safety). Generally I find many bicyclists in their bike shorts and funny helmets to be aggressive and wreckless.

compchat | 10 July, 2016

@sccrendo.ca.us

"This happens when I am making a left turn for example and the lane is designated for both left turn and going on straight"

Legally at an intersection you should walk your bicycle in the cross walk and stay in your bicycle lanes. You are not a motorvehicle and should not be mixing it up with motor vehicles while attempting to make a left turn either with/without an arrow. If we allow you to do that why not pedestrians, tricycles or horse drawn carriages.

compchat | 11 July, 2016

SCCRENDO.Ca.US

Guessing you are an orthopedist. Am I correct ?

SCCRENDO | 11 July, 2016

@compchat. I am talking about a wide road like Jamboree for example that has 4-5 lanes each way. You may sometimes have 2-3 lanes going straight and 2-3 lanes for left turns. The Left turn lane may double as a lane for those going straight. There are many cars. No I don't think the cars would appreciate me walking my bike accross a busy intersection taking a left turn nor would I be very safe. And yes bicycles are legally allowed to use car lanes. Our courtesy is not to block cars if possible but under the circumstances noted here I do take up the whole lane transiently for my safety. Tricycles and pedestrians should remain on the sidewalk. Cyclists should not and in I believe it is illegal. A cyclist on a sidewalk is hazardous to pedestrians. Cyclists should either ride on the streets, or a designated bikepath. Otherwise ride in your driveway or parks where it is safe for pedestrians. No I am not an orthopedist.

PorfirioR | 11 July, 2016

Since I am not a cyclist, I am curious. What does "follow me mode" actually mean and how would it work? Does the OP mean a safety buffer for the cyclists? Couldn't you do that with any vehicle? What role would AP play?
A Google search on "follow-me cycling" came back with ways to couple bikes together and I am sure that is not what is being suggested here.

I don't get it but, like I said, I am not a cyclist. Thanks in advance for educating me.

SCCRENDO | 11 July, 2016

@Porfirio. Not sure many of us understand what OP is recommending but Ross ended up sidetracking the whole discussion. I have a classic pre autopilot Model S so perhaps don't have the same experience but I believe there is some issue with AP recognizing cyclists and packs of cyclists. AP is in Beta and hopefully it improves with time but in the interim the driver has prime responsibility for controlling his/her vehicle. In the interim on behalf of all cyclists world wide I am asking for caution and respect from all motor vehicles whether we are riding alone or in packs.

lilbean | 11 July, 2016

Ortho. That's funny. I've never met an ortho discuss the Framingham study at length. Lol. No offense to ortho, great guys.

PV_Dave @US-PA | 11 July, 2016

No, what the OP is asking for is to be able to ride down the middle of a lane of traffic on a public road and have his Model S follow him, without a driver. This keeps another vehicle owner from either plowing straight into him or tailgating him, because the Tesla is between overtaking traffic and the bicycle or bicycles. The Tesla would stop when he stops, and would turn when he turns. It would follow him in much the same way that a regular driver would do if asked to follow a bicycle as a support vehicle, but it would do so without a driver.

Not likely to happen before full autonomy, but would be a great feature once full autonomy is available.

MyXinTx | 11 July, 2016

It's good to hear at least ONE biker respects the autos on the road, cause it seems like many do not...riding double or triple wide on a two-lane road, some as high as 45 MPH. Perhaps the single riders tend to be more cautious, while confidence and cockiness increases with numbers.

I personally am very respectful of 2-wheelers, unbelievable patient at times, and when I pass I do so way to the left.

No doubt cities and counties should provide more bike lanes, but even when there are it seems like a group of riders will choose those less bike-friendly.

I would never trust AP or ACC to follow cyclists.

As the saying goes... " Why can't we just get along?"

Ross1 | 11 July, 2016

...and if the rider fell off the perch he/she would be run over by their own car, as there would be very little distance between. If they left more distance someone could cut in, which they might anyway when someone is trying to pass the blockage and a vehicle appears suddenly coming towards them...

Mike83 | 11 July, 2016

If you pass a cyclist less than 3 feet away you can get a ticket in California.
When I was in San Diego a long time ago I could get places faster on my bicycle as cars sit in and stop n go traffic.
Most bicyclists are careful and if they are going into the lane it could be due to a pothole, glass or road hazard. Impatient drivers need to lose their license.

PorfirioR | 11 July, 2016

@PV_Dave, Thanks and, Yikes! I guess I really don't know anything about cycling. That is quite the entourage.

I recommend the option of "Posse mode" since you could own more than one Tesla and might want all of your cars following you around.

SCCRENDO | 11 July, 2016

@PV. Ok got it. Makes sense. Great idea.
@WantmyX. I agree that there are bikers that are disrespectful but I would suggest they are in the minority. Remember the road is to be shared and the cyclist is the one that is vulnerable, not the motorist. The point here also is that like driving a Tesla cyclists are not burning fossil fuels.

compchat | 12 July, 2016

From the DMV re: Left Turns (Obviously I would suggest the 2nd which is more polite and safer for everyone involved.).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/d...
(See the url for diagrams).
Left Turns:
There are two proper methods for making a left turn on a bicycle:

1. Using Traffic Lanes

Bicyclist preparing to make a left turn from the traffic lane.

As you approach the intersection, look over your left shoulder for traffic. If clear, signal your turn and move over to the left side of the lane, or into the left or center turn lane. Position yourself so that vehicles going straight cannot pass you on your left while making your left-hand turn. Yield to oncoming traffic before turning. If you are riding in a bicycle lane or on a multi-lane road, you need to look and signal each time you change lanes. Never make a left turn from the right side of the road, even if you’re in a bicycle lane.

2. Using Crosswalks

Bicyclist preparing to make a left turn using the cross walk.

Approach the intersection staying on the right. Stop and either cross as a pedestrian in the crosswalk, or make a 90 degree left turn and proceed as if you were coming from the right. If there is a signal light, wait for the green light or the WALK signal before crossing. Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

FFDL 37 (REV 12/2012)

compchat | 12 July, 2016

Also note the following safety tip:

"You should also use the traffic lane when you are traveling at the same speed as the traffic around you "

PLEASE note the proviso for using the traffic lane: "traveling at the same speed as the traffic around you". This does not mean that you should ride your bicycle at 20 mph on a street that is posted for 45 mph or for that matter in an open lane when the lanes around you are posted for 45 mph. Stay in your bicycle lane or the right most lane. Use the crosswalk to make left turns as suggested by the DMV.

compchat | 12 July, 2016

@Screendo,

Okay my second guess would be neurosurgeon. Or some other surgical or medical subspecialty that is very pedantic. I very much doubt you are a general internist or pediatrician. The guess is based on the amount of swag you put into your posts.

I can make a reasonable inferance if you tell us the number of years post graduate training you had.

Give us a hint why don't you ?

Ross1 | 12 July, 2016

QUOTE:compchat | July 12, 2016
Also note the following safety tip:

"You should also use the traffic lane when you are traveling at the same speed as the traffic around you "

Traffic is always travelling at the same speed as cyclists

Ross1 | 12 July, 2016

@ compchat:
You are very nosy.
SCC does gender reassignments.
Do you want one?

SCCRENDO | 12 July, 2016

@compchat. I have put up enough info about myself over the years that it is no secret who I am. What does it matter to you anyway. Ross is correct. You are nosy. It's really none of your business. It looks like your only goal is to stereotype. So if you really want to know, why don't you state who you are and quit being nosy.
Thank you for the DMV quote. When I make a left turn I follow rule 1. However when the lane is dual purpose you have to make sure the motorist sees you and I have to position myself.
If you want a sex reassignment you can sign up here. Ask Ross about the job I did on him/her.

Ross you miss the point. I do not hog a lane where cars go. However when making a left turn I need to position myself even if going 15 mph in front of car so I can turn safely. Also in areas without a designated bike lane I am entitled to use the main lane at whatever speed I go. I try to keep to the right (we are in the US) as much as possible and allow vehicles as much room to pass as is possible.

Ross1 | 12 July, 2016

@SCCRENDO:
Unfortunately it didn't work.
It doesn't look good for you, having fails on your resume.
Expect litigation any moment now, then I can buy my S, 3 and X of my choice.

SCCRENDO | 12 July, 2016

@ross. There is only so much one can do with your body. LOL

joemar10 | 12 July, 2016

compchat | July 10, 2016

Don't understand your idea.

Are you sugggesting that a Tesla delibertely slow down and move at the pace of a bicycle ?

If so that is a Dumb idea.

You would be blocking the normal flow of traffic and creating a greater danger with other cars trying to pass you and/or tailgaiting you or doing much worse to you.

Bicycles should stay in their lanes, in tandem and obey all traffic laws. Personally I would like to see them off the public highways unless there are barriers between the bicyclists and the automobiles (for everyones safety). Generally I find many bicyclists in their bike shorts and funny helmets to be aggressive and wreckless.

I'm sure they hope to be "wreckless". Oh, and I don't think most bike riders are "reckless" either.

Just puling your chain. I am not a bike rider, but hope to be a Tesla 3 driver next year. I thought that was what this forum was about.

Ross1 | 12 July, 2016

@SCCRENDO:
Agreed. I need some one else.

SCCRENDO | 12 July, 2016

@joemar. I agree that what OP is suggesting is a dumb idea. What happens at a traffic light when some bikes get through and the rest plus the car don't. Cyclists just want a place to ride safely and are aware of not inconveniencing motorists. This section of the forum is for general discussion. Although respect for cyclists is important. Unfortunately we have many around who think that their cars own the roads.

Pages