Forums

2nd row folders: why no posts for months?

2nd row folders: why no posts for months?

9 months ago it was the hottest topic on the forum, now it has absolutely disappeared.

Why?

harry.corbeek | 22 August, 2016

I think it is really a problem voor TM. If they will make a 5 seater with folding seats almost nobody will order the current 7 or 6 seater anymore. You seldom see a X5 XC90 or others with 7 seats!! And the second row with folding seats is much more expensive to make then the current second row so they will lose money on the current 5 seater price. Maybe that is the reason that TM offered upgrade to 6/7 at half price ?

vperl | 22 August, 2016

I ordered a five seat configuration.

Tesla offered, I accepted, agreement made , and contract accepted on both sides.

Soon, Tesla best squeezeing out the five configuration .

As before end, mid January 2017 Tesla better deliver these MX in big numbers .

But, I digress .

Ross1 | 22 August, 2016

Digress? I cant even understand you when you slur your speech.

vperl | 22 August, 2016

Why do stalkers stalk ?

You mad, bro ?

Please stalk elsewhere, have a horsey day.

Gary an Rachel | 22 August, 2016

After 4 months of ownership I find I don't even think once about folding seats. I have it setup as a 4 seater and with 3rd row in down position I have all the room I need. So that 6 seat option turned out perfect for us. End of story and might give light why others have stopped talking about this. IMHO.

dortor | 22 August, 2016

The X is what it is...no reason to talk about it - I know several people who passed on purchase on this one issue - some don't care.

bward76 | 22 August, 2016

What's this? Tesla will offer some sort of half off upgrade to the 6 seater option? I have a 5 seat on order and they did call about me getting a 6 or 7 seat to speed up my order. I was not interested in that much cost increase for 1 extra seat I would rarely use. However, for 1/2 that cost I may have considered. Can anyone certify that they have been making these offers?

Big T | 22 August, 2016

Ross, why stir this up again?

Triggerplz | 22 August, 2016

@ross +1

Ross1 | 23 August, 2016

Subject: vperl:
Matthew 98, SCCRENDO and others, we have a (another) problem.
Perhaps someone could make a bet with him, lol.
Or teach him some manners.

carlk | 23 August, 2016

Cry babies cry because they thought that could change things. They stop when they got tired and realized it's an wasted effort.

sp_tesla | 23 August, 2016

"carlk | August 23, 2016
Cry babies cry because they thought that could change things. They stop when they got tired and realized it's an wasted effort."

Progress & improvements is always expedited by the type that accept almost everything they purchase.

AlMc | 23 August, 2016

@carlk: Really? While the X, as is, is clearly an excellent vehicle for you and many others it simply is not for people, like me, who need more utility from their SUV.

OP: Yeah, the conversation died off because as was noted by another poster: 'It is what it is'. Eventually, TM will produce an X with folding second row seats. IMO, they will lose sales to other SUVs (ICE unfortunately) until they do.....They lost my wife's order. She (I) got tired of waiting and will revisit the X in a couple years.

"AlMc | August 23, 2016
simply is not for people, like me, who need more utility from their SUV."

+1, @carlk seem to be intelligent (knowledge) & close mined (common sense).

How many would settle or prefer 4 seats option (Original 6 seats without 3rd row seating) for same price as 5 seats.

lilbean | 23 August, 2016

I only use 4 seats anyway. :)

Ross1 | 23 August, 2016

Really big butt???

Hahahaha! Good one! Lol! It's huge!

Triggerplz | 23 August, 2016

Again post pictures

UU

SMDH

Lol!

"lilbean | August 23, 2016
UU"

Very creative +1

@sptesla first she was showing her DD now it's the UU I'm scared to see what's next, but imma look :-)

Ross1 | 24 August, 2016

no pics it isnt there

robert.j.greenberg | 24 August, 2016

I have 6 seat MX and it is fine, but a folding second row would still be better for camping in the vehicle or cargo...

JAnnen | 24 August, 2016

AlMc said:
"...TM will produce an X with folding second row seats. IMO, they will lose sales to other SUVs (ICE unfortunately) until they do.....They lost my wife's order. She (I) got tired of waiting and will revisit the X in a couple years."

I don't need seats. I need space. If I may cancel my MX and buy a Utility Vehicle, I will lose my $5k deposit and two years of waiting. The MS has more usable space for me than the bigger MX, but even the new MS seats don't fold flat. It feels like Tesla doesn't want my business.

This Audi Q7 looks like it will suit my needs. These flat folding seats remind me of the MX prototype that convinced me I wanted a MX, and it's half the price.

http://releasedatesnewcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2017-Audi-Q7-t...

I'm staring to agree with AlMc and his wife. Which SUV did you two choose?

Love lilbean's picture. LOL. At first I thought it was my wife. "Baby's got back." Thanks for the laugh.

lilbean | 24 August, 2016

:-)

Ross1 | 25 August, 2016

Hey, I didnt get Lilbeans pic !

R@8i.com

rossRallen | 25 August, 2016

LMAO

AlMc | 26 August, 2016

@JAnnen: We are picking up my wife's Audi SQ5 today. We will look at the 'X' or perhaps even the CUV version of model 3 in a couple years. We enjoy our P85D. Turned back in the P85+ under the RVG program last week. That RVG will pay for the Audi. I was hoping it would have been a trade in on the X.... :(

rossRallen | 26 August, 2016

When it comes to the issue of folding second row seats, what's the point of being bothered by it any longer? It is what it is.

Uncle Paul | 26 August, 2016

Issue is that there is no information from Tesla that could help us make our decision.

Nobody knows what the 5 seater configuration is going to look like.

Super frustrating...just pounding sand.

rossRallen | 26 August, 2016

I guess the 5-seater will be identical to the 7-seater except with a deep cargo well under a hatch that is in the same position as the backs of folded third row seats. Why not?

Ross1 | 27 August, 2016

I guess if you stop demanding it, TM might forget to incorporate 2RFS in the next iteration of MXs

AlMc | 28 August, 2016

@Ross: TM will eventually produce a folding second row seat version of the X and they have a slew of requests/postponed and/or cancelled orders because of the lack of that feature. There really is no need to demand continue to demand for it as it is in development already. Certainly, it may not be launched 'soon', but it will happen. Based on the info I have I believe @vperl will see his in Q1/Q2 2017. I doubt it gets delayed further than that.

In addition the model 3 CUV ( the 'Y') will come out with folding second row seats from the launch.

dortor | 28 August, 2016

The medel 3 will also have 2nd row folding seats - because it's jus plain stupid to not have them.

carlk | 28 August, 2016

Talk about plain stupid. Tesla is likely selling as many X's as S's this quarter. You don't need everyone to want one. You only need a lot of people to want one.

dortor | 28 August, 2016

Where is the sales data to back that up?

Ross1 | 28 August, 2016

@AlMc:
Is that inside information, press release or guessing?

AlMc | 28 August, 2016

@Ross: 'No comment' :)

@CarlK: The X is not selling as well as TM/EM had planned/predicted. The SUV market is HUGE but TM is still getting more orders for Ss than Xs at this point.
The X did lose many sales because of EM's feature choices. The people who bought one, like you, had different needs/uses than other SUV buyers so you (they) are happy with theirs. That is good. I hope they sell tens of thousands of Xs in the current configuration as TM needs the revenue to support their projected growth and to get us off fossil fuels. Thank you and all the other X buyers. You are propelling us forward.

sp_tesla | 28 August, 2016

"dortor | August 28, 2016
The medel 3 will also have 2nd row folding seats - because it's jus plain stupid to not have them."

Make sense, if not added it would be added to CEO genius engineer not so smart or practical implementation list.

carlk | 28 August, 2016

@AlMc

Tesla also made a lot more sales because the car is not like every other car on the market. There are few people who did not buy the car, a couple here who would/could not buy it anyway, and so be it. Eventually most people who would want to buy the car will get over it and buy one. Not really a big loss for Tesla imo. For our own good we just have to learn to acquire the new taste otherwise there will never be progress. Many things people did not like in the beginning such as some of those features in iPhone and Model S are become inseparable to them later on. I always pity people who say who wants to those eat raw fish, or strange smelling Indian food or fatty goose liver and never want to even try them. They don't know what they are missing in life. In your case you missed the greatest SUV on the planet just for that hangup. Not saying you did anything wrong, you make your own decision, but just that not everyone is like you. I for example went from one of the best 2 seat sports car in the world to a big 4 dr sedan. It took a lot of courage but just a few days into it I realized it's one of the best decisions I have made. Nothing in this world is pure black a white.

AlMc | 28 August, 2016

@CarlK: Let us agree that we will usually have a difficult time understanding each other's logic and we will agree that we hope TM succeeds for our children/grandchildren and the future of the planet.

carlk | 30 August, 2016

@AlMc

I hope TM's success too and in the mean time I also wish every car ethausiast could have a chance to enjoy this great car. Sometimes whe one stubbornly adhere to a priciple, even one that seems to make sense, he could miss a lot of nicer things in life. That's why the food analogy.

sdj | 23 September, 2016

bump

@JAnnen did you go with the Audi Q7 with flat folding 7 seats and ICE motor.

Really eager for Tesla to follow through on the interior design of the reveal in 2012. Still holding out for folding 2nd row in a 7 seat interior. Probably a longer wait then @Vperl. Currently have 3 cars for 2 drivers and a 7 seat with flat folding 2 row and trailer hitch will get rid of 2 cars and leave us with full electric. Maybe it will be in the M3.

dortor | 23 September, 2016

Model 3 has already confirmed 2nd row folding seats (can carry a surf board according to Elon - something the 7 seat X can't do easily cause ya know it's an awesome SUV).

JAnnen | 23 September, 2016

steven: "Still holding out for folding 2nd row in a 7 seat interior."
The folding 2nd row MX will only be available in the 5 seat option. The 2nd row will never fold on the 6 or 7 seat MX. To do the folding 2nd row Tesla is moving the 2nd row back and shuffling the battery modules to get more leg and foot space. The battery shuffling will use some of the space that was allocated to the 3nd row. Moving the 2nd row back also means blocking access to the 3nd row. So if I've got this right, no 3nd row with folding 2nd row seats. But maybe I'm all wrong. We will find out during the 5 seat reveal. Soon.

@steven I like the Audi Q7 but will wait for the MX 5 seat reveal. I drive an EV now so there's no hurry. I will probably switch to a MS instead of the Audi if I don't like the 5 seat reveal. The new HVAC camping/glamping mode makes a folding 2nd row MX compelling for me. The Laurel, Maryland SuperCharger that is 15 miles away was turned on today. I feel the time is right for me to have a compelling folding 2nd row MX. Soon.

satchels | 24 September, 2016

My big wish is that Telsa will make a folding second row and I will be able to swap my second row for the folding ones. I would pay for that in a heartbeat. But... I'm a dreamer which is why I drive an X in the first place.

JAnnen | 25 September, 2016

"I'm a dreamer which is why I drive an X in the first place." --satchels
I like it. If Tesla doesn't make a folding seat, maybe a third party like evannex will make it for us.

Pages