Forums

Bolt price

Bolt price

Chevy bolt is priced at 43-48k in NH and looks like a mini garbage truck in comparison to a T3.

jordanrichard | 17 October, 2016

It is interesting that in that Car n Driver article, they show what appears to be a Features and Spec page for the Bolt, yet it is no where to be found. Hell, if you go to Chevy's website and for vehicle type you click on Electric, all they show is the Spark EV and the Volt. Sure is strange that for a car that GM was patting itself on the back for bring to market and that is a "game changer" that they aren't promoting at all.

I also saw an article published 2 hours ago from Cleantech that GM has given the go ahead for pre-orders BUT only in CA and OR, where the first Bolts are going and with no disclosed timeline for when the rest of the country will get a chance to buy one. Also interesting is that based on how GM rolled out the Volt, they suspect next set of states to get the Bolt will be here in the Northeast. finishing by saying that it probably won't be until the last quarter of 2017 before everyone will be able to order the Bolt. Now, this is based on CleanTech's take on it, but this sounds just about right, based on GM history of dragging it's feet in doing anything different.

JeffreyR | 17 October, 2016
akgolf | 17 October, 2016

I know someone(Eagles) likes to quote a particular article that describes the Dolt as sleek. I think the paragraph below from another article is a bit more accurate.

https://electrek.co/2016/10/17/the-myth-of-the-tesla-killer/

It’s only now with the very capable, but somewhat "homely" Chevy Bolt EV and its 60 kWh battery pack that other automakers are starting to get close to Tesla’s energy capacity. But even then they are not killing surpassing it and they don’t plan to for years to come. And that’s not even counting GM’s tarnished brand nor lack of DC charging infrastructure for long trips.

Red Sage ca us | 17 October, 2016

That's it! We have a winner, folks! The BOLT is to be referred to as 'homely' henceforth -- much better than 'ugly'.

gregcropper | 17 October, 2016

Red, I agree it's homely, but I like what the OP called it, a "mini garbage truck "

EaglesPDX | 17 October, 2016

@jordanrichard "Hell, if you go to Chevy's website and for vehicle type you click electric, all they show is the Spark EV and the Volt."

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Another good rant down the drain.

dsvick | 18 October, 2016

@Red Sage - "The BOLT is to be referred to as 'homely' henceforth"

Ahh, so it like saying it has a nice personality.

jordanrichard | 18 October, 2016

Umm EaglesPDX, that is the Bolt website, which I have often referred to. So I never claimed it didn't exist. Go the Chevy website http://www.chevrolet.com/. This is where they list all of their vehicles. Click on "Electric" and tell me where you see the Bolt? That was my point. They don't even have it listed and before you spout off about it's not there because it is only available in certain markets, well so isn't the Spark EV, yet it's on the main Chevy site.

Also since you provided the link to the Bolt's website, please tell me where on that site is the pricing for the Premier edition and all the various options like DC fast charging.

KP in NPT | 18 October, 2016

@jordanrichard it's on the chevy website, but not listed under "electric" - it's under "upcoming"

dsvick | 18 October, 2016

@mp1156 - "it's on the chevy website, but not listed under "electric" - it's under "upcoming""

It's also, oddly enough, under the "Hybrid Electric Cars" link at the bottom. Maybe the link is supposed to say Hybrid and Electric.

Octagondd | 18 October, 2016

Its almost as if Eagles has no idea he/she is on a Tesla website.

jordanrichard | 18 October, 2016

mp1156 and dsvick, thanks but that just still makes no sense for a car that GM is so proud of. I mean to listen to them at the reveal of the Bolt, they made history, yet seemingly on purpose they bury the existence of it on their corporate site.

KP in NPT | 18 October, 2016

Agreed @jordanrichard. Which only bolsters the belief that really, it's just a compliance car. Or maybe initially, it's a compliance car. If it goes beyond that, it will be despite their marketing. But I'll reserve judgement until it's actually released and how they then choose to market it. Ads for it, like I see constantly on TV here for the Malibu and other cars of theirs, would be a start.

Red Sage ca us | 19 October, 2016

dsvick: Reminds me of conversations with Family members that want to fix me up with someone...

ME: So, what's she look like?
THEM: Oh, she's a FINE girl!
ME: Really? How old is she? How tall is she? How much does she weigh? How many children does she have? How many times has she been married? Does she have [BAZOOMS] the size of her head?
THEM: Why are you so shallow?
ME: Why are you always trying to set me up with washed up, over-the-hill, used, abused, alcoholic [BIGGUNZ]?

And if one of their Friends actually is attractive, and I show the slightest bit of interest, I don't see them again for decades.

dsvick | 19 October, 2016

@Red Sage - yep, if you want to know what she looks like you're obviously shallow and only interested in one thing. While it's perfectly ok for them to say "She has a great personality" while giggling behind your back :)

EaglesPDX | 19 October, 2016

With all the publicity given to the Bolt on the Tesla website and with the T3's low budget version not being available until late 2018 early 2019, the low budget Bolt at $30K net is going to be an attractive alternative.

akgolf | 19 October, 2016

Look at this, new orders(people ordering today for those with a learning disability) will have to wait until mid 2018 but current orders should be fulfilled before then. How long will it take to fill the massive back order of Dolts?

http://jalopnik.com/order-a-tesla-model-3-now-and-youll-get-it-mid-2018-...

How may auto manufacturers would like this problem:

https://electrek.co/2016/10/18/elon-musk-says-first-12-months-of-tesla-m...

jordanrichard | 19 October, 2016

No one has ordered anything. When you call a restaurant and reserve a table, does that equate to you ordering your meal........?

Red Sage ca us | 19 October, 2016

jsimpsonalaska: Unfortunately, those that do have the problem are those that sell serious gas guzzlers that would tilt the scales of their CAFE rating into the depths of the gutter if they were to be offered at the rates Consumers would be willing to buy them.

@jordanrichard - Sorry I should have said reservations, I still think the manufacturers would like that many reservations on any car. I for one will be ordering when available and anticipate I'm not alone.

See if I can get a test drive in winter snow up to Mt. Hood and back with two people. Some Michelin Xices and FWD should handle the road fine.

Heating, slippage would kill the range going up hill but going back down should be a total regen.

cessna182 | 19 October, 2016

It is underwritten by Obama...do you seriously want to back a vehicle underwritten by tax dollars we did NOT approve?

@cessna182 "It is underwritten by Obama...do you seriously want to back a vehicle underwritten by tax dollars we did NOT approve?"

Those crazy Kenyans but it is a good thing they gave Tesla a $500M loan to get and $750,000,000 in tax credits and the pollution regs requiring low to no emissions.

It also helps GM with a loan to survive the Reaganauts and the same $750,000,000 in tax credits and same pollution controls.

We can hope President Clinton will provide even more incentives, tax credits and stricter regs to push EV's.

andy.connor.e | 20 October, 2016

How is your chevy bolt looking now???

#SelfDriving

topher | 20 October, 2016

"It is underwritten by Obama"

And paid back ahead of schedule, with interest, and a bonus. Yes, in fact, that is exactly the vehicle I want to back.

Thank you kindly.

EaglesPDX | 20 October, 2016

@topher "And paid back ahead of schedule, with interest"

But Tesla doesn't exist without the $500,000,000 loan in 2010 (Thanks Obama) and Tesla is certainly not paying back the $750,000,000 in tax rebates.

KP in NPT | 20 October, 2016

No automaker is paying back tax rebates. Why should tesla?

SamO | 20 October, 2016

When is GM paying back their rebates. They've received more than Tesla.

Rocky_H | 21 October, 2016

@EaglesPDX, Your dishonesty is showing.

Quote: "and Tesla is certainly not paying back the $750,000,000 in tax rebates."

"Paying back" would indicate it was paid to them originally, but it was not. When individuals get an energy efficiency tax deduction for adding more insulation to their houses, would Corning, who manufactured the insulation, be expected to "pay back" the tax deduction that the homeowner received? Of course not, because Corning did not get that tax deduction money.

SamO | 21 October, 2016

When are you paying back your mortgage interest deduction?

When did you stop beating your wife?

KP in NPT | 21 October, 2016

@Rocky - His dishonestly and ignorance interchange.

Rocky_H | 21 October, 2016

@SamO, Quote: "When are you paying back your mortgage interest deduction?"

No, it's not that, because that would be "paying back", since the homeowner does get that deduction. It's this false, reprehensible lie I see from Tesla-bashers that Tesla is raking in all of these "subsidies" from electric vehicle tax credits. Tesla does not get that money. Other people do. That's why I gave the example of falsely thinking Corning gets a government handout when a homeowner gets a tax deduction.

akgolf | 21 October, 2016

I still don't understand why a Chevy dealer is on this site trying to promote the homely Dolt, when there won't be that many produced. If they can't sell a little over 30K units then they didn't produce a compelling electric car.

EaglesPDX | 21 October, 2016

@Rocky_H ""Paying back" would indicate it was paid to them originally, but it was not."

It was paid to their customers to buy their product, $7,500 of profit paid for by tax payers. I'm all for it being raised and applied to all EV's until we reach the 50% EV level and US greenhouse gases are reduced by 80% from 2000 as specified by climate scientists.

But it is simply dishonest to claim a direct payment that reduces one's product cost by $7,500 is not direct subsidy of Tesla. Someone was complaining about "Obama" supporting Tesla with $1.2B in US taxpayers dollars and that is actually something to applaud and encourage our next president and Congress to expand upon.

KP in NPT | 21 October, 2016

Good lord.

akgolf | 21 October, 2016

Chevy fan boy going into full panic mode.

EaglesPDX | 21 October, 2016

Well the Chevy Volt is the 2nd best selling plug-in in the US after Tesla S so that's something every fan of EV's can be happy about.

The $7,500 per car is a subsidy to Chevy as it is to Tesla.

We do need to work on Congress and President to extend and expand the Federal Tax Credit for plug-ins.

SamO | 21 October, 2016

lol. I remember this same b/s FUD from 2012.

Here's how this $7500 tax credit works:

1. Buyer works and makes lots of money, owing $7500+ in taxes

2. Buyer buys any EV

3. Buyer receives a $7500 tax credit

Tesla, GM, Nissan doesn't get the $7500.

Same way as the mortage deduction. Same way as accelerated depreciation. Scrap it all and let's have a carbon tax.

Next.

EaglesPDX | 22 October, 2016

@SamO "Tesla, GM, Nissan doesn't get the $7500."

They do as they get to charge $7,500 that the government subsidizes. It is very much part of Tesla's pricing and high profits per car.

KP in NPT | 22 October, 2016

Wrong. Tesla doesn't jack up the price 7500 to take that as profit because they know the customer will get the discount. That's what other automakers like GM does, however. Hence the 35K Volt which looks like a 25K econobox.

akgolf | 22 October, 2016

And did you look at the trims on the Dolt?

In order to get a usable car you have to get the premier version. The thing is useless unless you spend over 50K. And it's still homely!

@mp1156 " Tesla doesn't jack up the price 7500 to take that as profit because they know the customer will get the discount."

Chuckle...you realize you just contradicted yourself. Tesla makes a gross profit of $16K per car, $7,500 of that because the government pays that amount to customer to buy the Tesla. The $7,500 is very much part of Tesla's pricing and profit structure.

it's all good. I'm for raising it to $10K, allowing the credit to be applied over as many years as it takes the buyer to use it and to remove the 200,000 vehicle limit.

Because costs are higher for EV's vs. comparable ICE vehicles mfg's must charge more so the government subsidies the mfgs. higher price with a subsidy allowing the mfg to build and sell the car at a profit it otherwise could not make on cars it could not sell.

@jsimpsonalska "In order to get a usable car you have to get the premier version. The thing is useless unless you spend over 50K. And it's still homely!"

Well you will have to spend $57,500 for a useable T3 but I would not call it homely.

KP in NPT | 22 October, 2016

I am saying tesla charges what the car is actually worth. Whereas every other Automaker inflates the price because of the tax credit. Let's see what your company does when tax credits for the bolt are finished.

I know you have a learning disability, but Elon already said it will come standard with the safety features.

The Dolt does not, but nice try.

@jsimpsonalaska "Elon already said it will come standard with the safety features."

Nope. One only need look at the current models to see that dynamic cruise and lane keeping clearly listed as a optional feature that comes with AutoPilot.

"Your Tesla will match speed with traffic (dynamic cruise), keep within lane (lane keeping)..."

And for those that still have a hard time understanding that auto pilot safety features are standard, watch the video on the Model 3 page and pay attention around the 10:50 mark. That's where Elon states that auto pilot hardware is on all Model 3s, and of course that has changed to include hardware for autonomous driving. He also states there will be no additional cost to activate the safety features, they are standard. On the Dolt the safety features are part of a package you can buy.

@mp1156 "I am saying tesla charges what the car is actually worth."

The cars are "worth" 24% less than Tesla charges, the cost to build. $7,500 of Tesla's profit is from the tax subsidy. Tesla can charge more and customers pay less. Tesla lobbies strongly for the tax subsidy for just those reasons and calculates the tax subsidy into the price when selling to customers. It automatically deducts the tax credit from the advertised prices.

@jsimpsonalaska "And for those that still have a hard time understanding that auto pilot safety features are standard, watch the video on the Model 3 page and pay attention around the 10:50 mark. That's where Elon states that auto pilot hardware is on all Model 3s, and of course that has changed to include hardware for autonomous driving."

Wrong again. Increased range ($8,500 option), Autopilot to get the clearly listed dynamic cruise and lane keeping ($5,000) and Autonomous driving ($3,000) are all OPTIONS that you PAY MORE FOR...not standard equipment.

You are confusing the options that are built into the car but are not activated or included in the base price of $35,000.

Pages