Forums

Bolt price

Bolt price

Chevy bolt is priced at 43-48k in NH and looks like a mini garbage truck in comparison to a T3.

akgolf | 26 October, 2016
Octagondd | 26 October, 2016

or McLary on the General Board

Red Sage ca us | 26 October, 2016

jsimpsonalaska: Thanks for that link! I've enjoyed contributing to the Comments down below the article. The other day I BLOCKED CNBC from my web browser, so I haven't seen the video yet.

akgolf | 31 October, 2016

From a recent Consumers Reports article.

Yeah I don't see a lot of Model 3 reservation holders canceling for a "Dorky Dolt".

“No question, GM has accomplished a commendable feat here with the Bolt’s long cruising range and fairly affordable price,” said CR. “If you don’t see a lot of Tesla Model 3 intenders canceling their reservations, it might be due to the Bolt’s somewhat dorky styling. Otherwise, we’re upbeat about the Bolt and look forward to buying one for a complete test soon."

EaglesPDX | 31 October, 2016

@jsimpsonalaska "From a recent Consumer Reports article"

Interesting first look article. CR did like the Bolt a lot.

"2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Impresses With Tesla-Like Range. Bolt is a fun, relatively affordable electric car for the masses."

akgolf | 31 October, 2016

Except it's Dorky and you can't drive it long distances. If you can live with that and fork over 60K to make it safe good for you.

Red Sage ca us | 31 October, 2016

jsimpsonalaska: +21! Thanks for the quote from Consumer Reports! Definitely made me giggle. (smileyfacegrin)

It will be interesting to see what their review of the BOLT ends up being, as compared to a Tesla Model ☰ or Honda Fit.

akgolf | 1 November, 2016

@red - You're welcome.

Consumer Reports should compare the Dolt vs a 2012 Model S. The Model S would be less expensive and a much better deal. If the Model 3 wasn't coming out I would opt for an older Model S.

EaglesPDX | 1 November, 2016

@jsimpsonalaska "Consumer Reports should compare the Bolt vs. a 2012 Model S"

A $66,000 car vs. a $35,000 car (loaded Bolt after Federal Tax Credit). I think the Bolt would win on value off the bat. Plus did 2012 TS's have autobraking, lane keeping, blind and cross track warning and dynamic cruise. Plus the Bolt' FWD would trump the TS's RWD.

2012 Tesla would probably win on trunk space since it has the useful liiftback.

Wrong again.

A 2012 Model S could be had for less than a new Dolt and would be considerably safer.

SamO | 1 November, 2016

For sale on Tesla CPO site:

Model S $42,000.

Dolt $42,000 (sometime in the indefinite future)

Winner winner chicken dinner, Tesla again.

@SamO.

The winner is still Tesla in that scenario, but the Dolts will be highly configured models that will more than likely have a considerable dealer mark up. I would expect they'll charge north of 50K. Those lesser configured Dolts will be on milk cartons.

SamO | 1 November, 2016

Would you want your mom in a 40k 2013 Model S or a Dolt?

Safest car ever vs. lying murder corp with likelihood of insolvency impending

jordanrichard | 1 November, 2016

Yes, it is funny how Eagles keep quoting prices from GM's website when in fact those mean absolutely nothing because the dealers can sell them for whatever they want.

jordanrichard | 1 November, 2016

Oh and one other, not all Chevy dealers will sell them, because they don't have to. Daimler Benz owns Smart, but you don't see Smart cars at every or even every other MB dealer. It is up to the individual dealer as to whether or not they sell a particular car or line of cars/vehicles.

Octagondd | 1 November, 2016

and the fact that no Tesla prices are available and that he compares a presumably larger battery pack and self driving options to a Bolt that cannot get a larger pack even as an option or self-driving options. Or any other options, since there are two models and that is it. Or the fact that it won't be available for a regular person to buy until 2017 since all the first Bolts will go to California dealers for the Lyft network. oh yeah, and don't forget, you have to purchase it in one of the 8 states it might be available.

Seems like a fair comparison.

EaglesPDX | 1 November, 2016

@SamO "For sale on Tesla CPO site: Model S $42,000."

Tesla says "For sale on Tesla CPO site: We don’t have any vehicles available based on your selections [Model S, $42,00}

There was a 2010 for $45,000 but it had less range than the Bolt (210 vs. Bolt's 238), RWD vs. the Bolt's superior FWD and the Tesla had no auto braking, dynamics cruise, lane keeping, side/cross track warnings.

And of course no $7,500 credit. So the loaded Bolt (per Car and Driver) at $34,500 would be the better deal. Plus it would be fun to have Apply Car Play.

bj | 1 November, 2016

How many countries will GM sell the Bolt in? Tesla will directly sell Model 3 into at least 25 countries. Pretty impressive for a young car manufacturer.

Down here in Australia, GM is demonstrating its complete commitment to EVs as a central part of their mission, deeply ingrained in their DNA, by not even bothering to turn up. Not only will the Bolt not be sold at all in Australia, they stopped selling the Volt here as well.

So GM has totally vacated the Australian EV playing field. Taken their bat and ball and gone home. Instead they will let Tesla dominate the EV market, with BMW a distant second and Nissan temporarily absent (we think - Nissan sold the last Leaf they imported into Australia 3 months ago and have not confirmed whether they will bring Gen 3 Leaf here in 2017).

If estimates are correct, in 2018 when Model 3 arrives down under, Tesla will have 90% share of the BEV market here.

So well done GM, you reap what you sow.

Pages