Forums

Tesla Camera

Tesla Camera

Unsure if I should post to the upcoming vehicle or the Tesla forum in general, but please add more features to the camera.

Autopilot / Autonomous driving: Tesla said there will be a self-driving Uber like feature for future Tesla auto. I am unsure how quickly and reliable the autopilot will be, but if Tesla can drive itself, it will still be nice if we can remotely check the camera with the phone. Just like drones or the wifi connect security cameras at home.

Dashcam: Please allow the camera to be used as dashcam as well. I see Tesla do record / log with the camera, but the quality seems like it can be improve. More clear and more FPS.

Data transfer: Provide a USB connection that allows the camera to be record / transfer to the external hard drive. I understand some are concern with the data manipulation, perhaps protect the file / make the file read only? I understand Tesla records, but it is nice to have our own copy. Unsure if they have a hard drive in the car or record OTA, but what if there was no 4G network in the area or the servers are down. Unsure how big is the hard drive as well if they have it inside the vehicle. Would be nice if we can have our own copy. Also, that USB location should be secure, if there is a crash, the external hard drive will survive.

Red Sage ca us | 5 October, 2016

Dashcam: Different States have varied laws as to whether or not recording with or without sound is considered to be illegal wiretapping when subjects have not been expressly made aware of the recording process and then given permission for it to continue. Setting up a dashcam on every car by default might run afoul of such laws and regulations. Tesla needs to avoid such things.

"Best block -- no be there." -- Mr. Miyagi

dsvick | 6 October, 2016

Other than physically plugging into it, I don't want any sort of external connection to the camera that is partially responsible for controlling anything that weights a couple of tons moving at speeds up to and over 70 mph. If they want to make it possible to stick a usb into the car somewhere and download the stored camera video that'd be fine, I'd prefer not to have it be wifi accesible, nor do I want there to be all sorts of other things happening to it, like getting routed to different places, backed up here, and transmitted there - let the camera and the processors do there job and control the car without anything else getting in the way.

As for quality of the recordings, you have to remember that the camera is first and foremost being used for navigation not to keep a video log of your driving. I'm not a video expert (or even a novice) but I'm sure there are different requirments for both of them.

Tesla should focus on buildign cars, if you really want a high quality dashcam there are plenty of third party sources out there that can hook you up.

TeslaTap.com | 6 October, 2016

Currently the AP camera is not a wide angle and uses a non-standard 36 fps rate. It's also not known if it is high resolution. Trying to optimize for both a dash cam and AP could be a very bad idea. Nothing wrong with a separate camera for a dashcam, but so far Tesla has not gone this route - perhaps since it is easy to add a dashcam to any car and a user can then pick the set of features and price point they prefer. Those that don't want a dashcam (and the related hardware) do not have to pay for it.

johndoeeyed | 6 October, 2016

I expect that the Autonomous driving system will have both internal and external camera access for recording. This will be necessary for the autonomous fleet, so I expect it will be an option. There will also be more cameras, both wide field and narrow field.

georgehawley.fl.us | 6 October, 2016

Today I think auto makers can buy the works for a high definition camera for about $5. The back end memory and control electronics can't be much more. As stated above, a dashcam should be separate from AP cameras that have targeted navigation and safety functions that dictate their design parameters and content processing.

EaglesPDX | 8 October, 2016

Subaru's Eyesight camera's do act as a "black box" and save a record if the car is involved in a crash. I'd guess Tesla already does this also. If it is recorded, the car mfg. can be required to produce it in case of an accident.

CC396 | 24 October, 2016

Well, on the Tesla Motors Club site, many seem to want recording capability built in. I would want a USB plug just for recording transfer. Yes, I know, file manipulation, but Tesla can make the file read only.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/8-cameras-can-they-add-a-small-d...

georgehawley.fl.us | 24 October, 2016

Since Tesla announced the addition of AP2.0 hardware to ALL cars now being produced, I wonder if this will include the Model ≡ which is not now currently being produced. If so, I wonder further if this represents a design change that would mean that Tesla would be in violation of their goal to freeze the design this past summer.

If they don't include the option for AP2.0 hardware in the initial M≡ production, would that retard sales as potential buyers might defer until the option is available. If they do, might it be an excuse for a schedule slip due to the added complexity of the design?

AP2.0 has undoubtedly been in the works for a while. It will be interesting to see what their plan is when finally revealed.

Calibrotha2000 | 24 October, 2016

@georgehawley I feel like you are like a week late and missed all of the coverage and info on the M3 like them already sitting it's gonna be included in the new car and just because info is released to the public I'm almost positive Tesla has known for months already about 2.0 being included in the M3 that's kinda why the master plan was revealed when it was to set up all these announcements that the public is just getting.

Calibrotha2000 | 24 October, 2016

@georgehawley I feel like you are like a week late and missed all of the coverage and info on the M3 like them already sitting it's gonna be included in the new car and just because info is released to the public I'm almost positive Tesla has known for months already about 2.0 being included in the M3 that's kinda why the master plan was revealed when it was to set up all these announcements that the public is just getting.

georgehawley.fl.us | 25 October, 2016

@Cali: good call. I was in Chicago last week and not paying attention to Tesla news.

georgehawley.fl.us | 25 October, 2016

@Cali: good call. I was in Chicago last week and not paying attention to Tesla news.

Realure | 26 October, 2016

With the USB port already being in the car, maybe this can be a software upgrade? Use the thumb drive in my car with music and setup a video buffer there.

andy.connor.e | 27 October, 2016

Only thing i wish they would keep the same, is the orientation of the touchscreen monitor so that you can split it half & half with a map navigation on top, and the rear camera live feed on the bottom.

brando | 27 October, 2016

"All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."

You might try reading the Tesla web-site. Lots of really great information.

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

brando | 31 October, 2016

Video cameras are very cheap now. JUST for safety reasons, I would not want owners using autonomous sensors. Keep dash cams OFF the autonomous system. Doesn't that make sense?