Forums

Quiet drivetrain doesn't = Quiet ride

Quiet drivetrain doesn't = Quiet ride

NOT THE TESLA....

Went and test drove a Chevy Volt last month. Drove it half a mile before turning back knowing for sure that I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on that POS. If I'm going to be able to hear noise in the cabin, I rather have it be engine noise than road noise.

The back seat road noise was unbearable, the front was slightly better. Both front and rear seats were cramped and absolutely no trunk space.

There's no doubt the Model 3 will be more spacious, so as long as they build it nice and tight like the MS, it's going to put the Volt to shame. At this time, if the M3 release on time, I see the Volt/Bolt to be no threat. Tesla almost lost me as a customer for a M3 but after driving the Volt, I think it's going to be worth the wait.

jordanrichard | 20 October, 2016

Why did they almost lose you as a customer?

Linemanap | 21 October, 2016

Because he can buy a bolt today and didn't want to wait for M3 but the bolt was a POS so back to Tesla. Reading comprehension

andy.connor.e | 21 October, 2016

Lol. What did you expect. Its a Chevy. American car companies (not tesla) have always cut corners to save money. They cut corners on everything. You cant possibly expect to get the same quality from Chevy as you would from Tesla.

Tesla's cars are ACTUALLY WORTH $35,000.

akgolf | 21 October, 2016

Well sure the Volt is a POS, but think of all the knowledge and expertise they've gotten from producing that. They have all of that experience to now apply towards the Dolt! So it'll be a premium POS!

Being serious for a moment. Of all the cars I've owned, the GM products are at the bottom of the list. The absolute worst was the 1982 Cavalier. I never went on a road trip more than 200 miles where something didn't break. I finally got rid of it when my wife called because she needed to get to a doctors appointment and the car wouldn't start. This was not an unusual occurrence.

The best Chevy I've owned, but still below the quality of other brands was a 1969 Chevelle with cowl induction.

That 1982 Cavalier will be the last GM product I will ever own.

EaglesPDX | 21 October, 2016

Interesting Edmunds in long term test drive came to the opposite conclusion.

"The 2016 Chevrolet Volt is quiet. That's one of the first things I notice about it during my first minutes behind the wheel."

Even the previous Volt was as quiet as comparable Audi's and BMW's. Maybe you were hearing the noise of some preconceptions?

KP in NPT | 21 October, 2016

LOL the GM car salesman has spoken!

EaglesPDX | 21 October, 2016

Actually all the car mags test drivers have spoken. Invariably describe the new 2016 Volt as quiet. As Edmunds pointed out, the original one was about as quiet as luxury liners from BMW and Audi.

The new Volt appears to be noticeably quieter to the automotive media. The comments below seemed typical.

2016 Chevrolet Volt: A Squeaky Quiet Cabin by Jonathan Elfalan, Road Test Editor on January 19, 2016

Linemanap | 21 October, 2016

I can think of something else that is silent but still stinks. I think the bolt/volt is a 25k car at best. sorry 37k and you get no charging network crappie battery tech no over the air updates no unlock able upgrades and it looks like a cheap econo box

EaglesPDX | 22 October, 2016

@Linemanap " I think the bolt/volt is a 25k car at best. "

They are two different cars. You don't see any plug-ins in that range, The battery put them in the $30K range and beyond as one goes over 100 mile range on EV or adds in engine tech like the Volt and Prius.

All get rated highly as nice driving cars.

Specific to the Volt (this discussion), all the test drives from all the car mags and consumer groups comment on how quiet the new Volt is on the road so your "test results" are a very small minority.

danny.vu | 22 October, 2016

A few reasons why we wanted to consider the volt

Gas backup engine = no range anxiety.
available NOW
like most of you are reading, very good reviews.
it's only going to be a commuter and available today.

I noticed a much better experience while driving the half a mile back but when I sat in the back seat (driver side) the noise is very noticable. The wife too noticed this. This probably why the reports are saying quiet. I'm not talking about squeaks etc.. here, I'm talking about road noise.

@danny.vu "This probably why the reports are saying quiet. I'm not talking about squeaks etc.. here, I'm talking about road noise."

As are all the reviewers. They tested the original Volt with db meters finding it nearly as quiet on the road as much more expensive BMW's and Audio.

All the testers including those doing long term testing have commented that new 2017 Volt Liftback is extremely quiet on the road, in daily use, in all kinds of conditions. Maybe you noticed the road noise in the back because the front was so quiet.

Issue for me with the Volt (and likely the Bolt) is no power seats. Gotta have them as I drive 100 miles a day for work.

jordanrichard | 22 October, 2016

What can a power seat do that a manual seat can't. I mean, once you set the seat to the way you want it, you don't use the "power seat" function. This is not directed at particularly the Volt/Bolt, it is really more towards just the whole concept of power seats. If one is the only driver of a car, then you use the power seat adjustment just once.

dave.m.mcdonough | 22 October, 2016

I've only seen the Volt while parked, but I liked the interior. It seemed very functional, lots of bins/trays to put your clutter.
But I certainly believe the OP about noise and cut corners. And it's FWD, nobody will pay $40k for that.

From the sounds of it I wonder if he meant the Bolt?

@jordanrichard "What can a power seat do that a manual seat can't."

Make a person comfortable on long trips. Change position to keep from cramping up.

bevguy | 23 October, 2016

Every time I take a car in for service they change the seat settings. It takes a really long time to find that comfortable setting again with no memory manual seats. The more expensive the seats the more adjustments and the more that is true..

Big1matt | 24 October, 2016

Not sure what new Volt you test drove. I just test drove a 2017 bolt 2 weeks ago and was surprised by how isolated from the road and drivetrain it was and how quiet it drove through local roads. Test drove the BMW I3 that same day, much less isolated from noise and rough riding. The Volt isnt the best car but will likely have better sound isolation than first generation of the Model 3.

Ross1 | 24 October, 2016

I would be interested in hearing how expert after market soundproofing is done. Back seats can be so noisy as to not be able to hear people in the front only 3 ft away.

Red Sage ca us | 24 October, 2016

~200 lbs of sound deadening material in every Lexus product goes a long way.

Linemanap | 24 October, 2016

Eagles you can buy one if you like but the m3 is a much better value

Haggy | 31 October, 2016

The Model S might not have engine or motor noise, but isn't immune to road noise. It's not a noisy car, but if you don't like road noise, I recommend a 1973 Lincoln Continental.

sp_tesla | 31 October, 2016

"Haggy | October 31, 2016
but if you don't like road noise, I recommend a 1973 Lincoln Continental."

Mercedes S & Lexus LS are much better current practical choices.