Forums

Options

Options

It pisses me off, when I read about people agreeing and getting excited about paying high prices for options . when Tesla see those reactions, it encourage them keep pushing more and more expensive options , when they should make a lot of them standard, $41,000 is a lot of money , maybe not for some of you.

KP in NPT | 27 October, 2016

No one knows what the the options will be, what packages will include, or how much any of them will cost. Anyone who says otherwise is speculating.

Red Sage ca us | 27 October, 2016

Yup.

Bighorn | 27 October, 2016

Maybe if we all act like we don't like it, they'll come in with a lower price. Come on guys, this is Car Buying 101!

JHB10 | 28 October, 2016

Tesla has the monopoly on options.
If they make it too expensive, fewer people buy it, and they make less profit.
If they make it too cheap, you make less profit, so they have to find a middle ground to maximise their profit.
A standard Economics 101 graph.
Similar to figure 1 on this page: https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/economics/monopoly/profit-maxim...
In tesla's case, some of the options are software, where the marginal cost is very small, so it would be even simpler.

dsvick | 28 October, 2016

@Edgarbal - "when Tesla see those reactions, it encourage them keep pushing more and more expensive options "

I wouldn't let it anger you ...
I'd be very surprised if Tesla is basing, in any part, their options pricing by reading the posts in this forum. And, if they are reading them, they are also smart enough to know that the majority of the people posting here are what could be politely called fanboys (and gals) so the results are somewhat skewed.

Secondly, most of the prices you see mentioned in the various posts are based, even if somewhat loosely, on the Ms and Mx prices, so they are not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Finally, even if you get a base model with no options, Elon has already said that that will still be "very nice car". Granted, that's somewhat subjective but probably mostly true.

akgolf | 28 October, 2016

Agreed and the base Model 3 without options will be a much nicer, safer and cheaper car than the Chevy Dolt without options that someone on this forum is pushing.

@jsimpson - "... that someone on this forum is pushing"

shhh, he hasn't found this thread yet ......

Ccarmac1 | 28 October, 2016

Yup, I completely agree with you @edgarbal

KP in NPT | 28 October, 2016

Again, no one on this forum knows exactly what will be standard on the Model 3 how much options will cost. Save indignation for when we have the facts.

jordanrichard | 28 October, 2016

"......when Tesla see those reactions, it encourage them keep pushing more and more expensive options", If Tesla was purely out to fleece their customers, they would have simply raised the prices of the MS/MX without adding content, because there is still a big demand for those vehicles. A dealer would seize on this opportunity and charge more than MSRP. Tesla doesn't work that way. Plus no one would be putting a gun to your head to buy those expensive options.

andy.connor.e | 28 October, 2016

~8 months to find out what Tesla has in store for us. Can we all handle waiting without killing eachother on these forums?

@andy.connor - "~8 months to find out what Tesla has in store for us."

8 months!? It better not be that long or I'm going to kill someo - * oh, I see ....

bgbythsea | 29 October, 2016

Although I understand why, I'm annoyed that highly optioned M3's will be the earlier deliveries. I have two of three cards for an earlier acquisition--West Coast resident and current owner, so will I succumb to the temptation to overspend on options to complete my hand? Time will tell...

Ehninger1212 | 30 October, 2016

@bfbythsea I'm annoyed about the top of the line models going first. But they are paying more lol, I hope I can avoid overspending also. I only have the "purchased before the reveal" card on my side.

david.jones24 | 30 October, 2016

I don't think I've read anything official about the heavily optioned cars being produced first, but it makes sense. The base model probably wouldn't be very profitable in the early stages of the production ramp up. In any case, I guess there won't be many of the "fully loaded" models percentage wise. So even if it increases the wait, it won't be drastic.

Bighorn | 30 October, 2016

I suspect there will be a lot of overlap with the current owners that get priority and the more fully optioned vehicles. That's probably fewer than ten percent. Most of the remainder are presumably more price conscious.

Ehninger1212 | 30 October, 2016

@david.jones You are right, that just seems to be the way tesla has done things. I shouldn't assume. I agree with you that the heavily optioned cars will probably be in low numbers, I know I won't be on that list haha.

andy.connor.e | 31 October, 2016

@dsvick

Yeah it'll be roughly 8 months. That brings us to June/July of 2017. Thats pretty much "mid-2017" for production start. But i wont make my reservation until next month, so i'll be looking at getting my Tesla in 2018...

dsvick | 31 October, 2016

@andy.connor - "Yeah it'll be roughly 8 months. That brings us to June/July of 2017."

I'm hoping we find out in late March or April. I'm thinking they'll open the configurator up for the first people a month or two before production so they'll do the reveal a month or so before that.

s2rogerjackson | 31 October, 2016

me to